• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How are Adobe AIR applications packaged and deployed?

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe AIR applications can be distributed in a number of ways, including but not limited to:

Desktop:

• Packaged as an.air file or as native installer.
  • When packaged in the .air file format, the same AIR application (.air flie) will run across both Windows and Mac OS.
  • Requires the AIR runtime to be installed on the device. The AIR runtime can be obtained by one of the following:

Android:

• Packaged as an .apk file and deployed to the Android Market or Amazon Appstore.
  • Requires the AIR runtime to be installed on the device.
  • The AIR runtime can be obtained as follows:
    • Downloading from the Android Market.
    • Preinstalled on the device.

BlackBerry Tablet OS:

• Packaged as a .bar file and deployed to the BlackBerry App World.
  • The AIR runtime is pre-installed and integrated into the BlackBerry Tablet OS; therefore no download the AIR runtime is required.
  • This article in the Adobe Developer Connection provides more detail with regards to packaging apps for BlackBerry Tablet OS.

iOS:

• Packaged as an .ipa file with a “captive” runtime and deployed to the Apple App Store.
  • The AIR runtime does not need to be installed on an iOS device since all necessary code to rune the AIR app for iOS is contained in the AIR for iOS app.
  • This article in the Adobe Developer Connection provides more detail with regards to packaging apps for iOS.
TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2012 Jan 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting with AIR 3, publishers have the option of including a captive copy of the runtime with their application installation package. This copy is used exclusively by the associated application, and always installs and uninstalls as part of the application itself.

See http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/air3-install-and-deployment-options.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we build an AIR App(one code base) that can work on Android devices, iOS (iPad), run as a web application and desktop application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 18, 2012 Sep 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I’m using AIR 3.4. I was trying to create an apk for Amazon with AIR sdk embedded using -captivate option like that:

adt -package -target apk-captive-runtime -airDownloadURL http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/dl/android?p=com.adobe.air

But I’m getting this error:
Option -airDownloadURL can be only used with -target apk, -target apk-debug or -target apk-emulator

Is there any way I can use -airDownloadURL and apk-captive-runtime at the same time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to deploy Adobe Air package via Group Policy or SCCM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , I also need confirmation on deploying AIR application on desktop.

Can I bundle my app and separate AIR installer  in my installer package ,

I have created single installer package which I add AIR installer runtime as well as other installer that required by my application.

I use installation software to do that.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that we need to use adobe for our work so it help us and make our work is simply and eseazy for work on ap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my city some newpapers reported that have the option of including a captive copy of the runtime with their application installation package. This copy is used exclusively by the associated application, and always installs and uninstalls as part of the application itself lioa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines