Skip navigation

Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player for Android Frequently Asked Questions

Nov 8, 2011 10:30 AM

To help you enjoy a great Flash experience, we’ve compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions below:

1.) My device was recently upgraded to Android 4.x, and Flash Player no longer works

2.) I installed Flash Player but Flash content does not load

3.) My device is out of disk space, but keeps trying to download the latest Flash Player update from the Android Market

4.) I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab with Flash Player installed, and Flash content does not load

5.) Flash Player fails to install because of a Package Signing error

6.) Downloading Flash Player from the Android Market fails

7.) How do I uninstall Flash Player

8.) Most Flash content loads, but some websites still tell me to install or upgrade Flash

9.) Please Enable Moving Flash Player to the SD Card

10.) I can’t find Flash Player in the Android Market for my device

--- Solutions ---

1.) My device was recently upgraded to Android 4.x, and Adobe Flash Player no longer works

You will need to re-install Flash Player from the Android Market in order to get the binary of Flash Player that is compatible with Android 4.x devices.

a.) Open the Market application on your device

b.) Search for Adobe Flash Player

c.) Choose Uninstall, or Uninstall Updates

d.) Re-Install Adobe Flash Player

------------

2.) I installed Flash Player, but Flash content does not load

a) First, verify that Flash Player is installed and working on your system.

Check the Flash Player Version Detection page, here (the link is case-sensitive):  http://adobe.ly/wRILS 

b) If you see the box with version information, you have successfully installed Flash Player and will be able to view Flash content via the Android browser. 

c) If you see a “Get Flash Player” icon instead of the version information, confirm that both Browser Plug-Ins and JavaScript are enabled on your device:

Open the Browser

Hit the Menu Button

Confirm that Enable Javascript is checked

Choose Settings > Enable Plug-Ins and make sure that it's set to Always On

If the settings above did not match, this probably fixed the problem. 

Please visit the Flash Player Version Detection Page (http://adobe.ly/wRILS ) again.

If you see the version information now, you're done!  Congratulations.

d) If not, it sounds like the installation did not work correctly. 

First uninstall Flash Player by doing the following:

Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Adobe Flash Player

Hit Uninstall (or Uninstall Updates) and follow the prompts

Restart your phone.  This will make sure that anything that might be keeping the Flash Player binary locked is no longer running.

Once the phone comes back up, open the Market and search for "Flash Player".  Follow the installation prompts.

Please repeat the steps to confirm that JavaScript and Plug-Ins are enabled, and then check the version detection page.

------------

3.) My device is out of disk space, but keeps trying to download the latest Flash Player update from the Android Market

We're aware that users of some devices with limited disk space are unable to install Flash Player updates.  The limited available space on the device causes the update installation to fail, and the Android Market retires the failed installation once daily.

Flash Player is typically pre-installed by the manufacturer of the affected devices, and the auto-update behavior is also configured by the manufacturer to ensure that you are running the latest, most secure version of Flash Player.  Unfortunately, we have no control over this auto-update behavior, and cannot disable it from our end.

If you're stuck in an endless upgrade loop, try freeing up enough space for Flash Player to install successfully.  It may be more effective to clear stored application data than to delete applications themselves.  Some applications can consume a large quantity of storage over time (mail and social networking applications are good candidates).  

Go to Applications > Manage Applications > All, and you can browse your installed applications to see how much the application and it's stored data are consuming.  You may also be able to move some installed applications to the SD Card to free up space.

In order to prevent the app from automatically receiving future updates, you'll need to accept and download the latest update of Flash Player.  Once the installation has completed, go into the "My Apps" section of Market and select Flash Player. Unselect the Automatic Update option. This should prevent future updates from automatically updating.  Please note, however, that you'll have to accept that initial update in order for this to work properly.

------------

4.) I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab with Flash Player installed, and Flash content does not load

a.) Open the built-in Android Browser by choosing "Browser" from the Apps Menu or your desktop

b.) Tap the Menu icon in the upper right corner of the screen

c.) Choose Settings

d.) Tap Advanced in the left column

e.) Tap Enable plug-ins and choose "Always On"

------------

5.) Flash Player fails to install because of a Package Signing error

This is a problem with the Android Market application on your phone.

To be safe, please back up any critical information on your device before performing the following steps:

Please try the following:

Go To Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Market Click Force Stop Click Clear Data Click Clear Cache Reboot your phone

When it comes back up, open the Market application. You'll need to sign back in and accept the EULA.

If it still doesn't work, check the Android Market Known Issues page for additional troubleshooting steps:

https://market.android.com/support/bin/static.py?page=known_issues.cs

------------

6.) Downloading Flash Player from the Android Market fails

Adobe does not control the download or installation mechanism on Android.  Those activities are handled by the Android Market system.

First things first, reboot and try the download again. 

If that doesn't solve the problem, the Android Market Known Issues page has some helpful troubleshooting advice for this issue:

https://market.android.com/support/bin/static.py?page=known_issues.cs

------------

7.) How do I uninstall Flash Player

If you downloaded Flash Player directly from the market, you can uninstall by going to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Flash Player and click Uninstall.

If you're only presented with the Uninstall Updates option, it's because Flash Player was included on your phone by the manufacturer.  We have no control over the installation process in this scenario, and will be subject to the behaviors configured by the manufacturer.  In most instances, this means that you cannot delete Flash Player (or any of the other applications pre-packaged on your device).

------------

8.) Most Flash content loads, but some websites still tell me to install or upgrade Flash

Each individual website on the Internet implements code that detects the presence of Flash Player and the device and operating system that you're using.  There are many JavaScript libraries in use on the web today that do this.  Many instances of these detection scripts are dated, and make faulty assumptions – like all viewers will be on either a Mac or PC.  As new mobile platforms become available, those assumptions no longer hold true.

The problem you are experiencing is mostly likely that the website you're visiting is using a defective method for detecting Flash.  It may be helpful to contact the website administrators directly to let them know that their site does not work on your device.  It may be helpful to let them know that Adobe recommends that developers use the SWFObject2 library for Flash Player version detection to maximize compatibility across all screens. 

Details are available here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/swfobject.html

------------

9.) Please enable Moving Flash Player to the SD Card

While we have explored the option of enabling moving Flash Player to the SD card, an OS limitation prevents this option from being enabled on devices that shipped with Flash Player pre-installed, and could impact system stability for all users that choose to move Flash Player to the SD card.

Because Flash Player a browser plug-in and not a standalone app, moving Flash Player to the SD card could cause your phone to become unstable.  Flash Player is running inside of the Android Browser, and by extension, other applications that may be invoking the Android browser in their own interfaces.  When you plug your phone into USB to sync files, the SD card would unmount, causing applications using Flash Player at the time to crash.  To handle that scenario, we would need additional improvements to the Android OS, which may or may not be feasible.  We will continue to work with Google to explore and prioritize our options in this regard.

Furthermore, moving Flash Player to the SD Card does not work when Flash Player has been pre-installed by the manufacturer.  The vast majority of users asking for this feature are running early Android phones with limited internal storage and have Flash Player pre-installed.  We would have been willing to live with the stability issues to help out that group of users, but after testing it extensively, we came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to help very many people.

There are unofficial workarounds to be found on various android forums that will let you enable App2SD today.  They suffer from the same stability problems, but they seem to work well-enough for a lot of people.  If you're desperate for internal storage space, that may be a good option in terms of maximizing the capabilities if your device's hardware.

With regard to the size of the binary distribution, the architecture of the Android Market dictates that we can only serve a single binary that provides optimized video and multimedia playback on the hundreds of Android phones and tablets available (which are running a variety of GPU and CPU architectures, with each new architecture requiring it's own code paths and highly optimized inline assembly for performance-critical video and rendering tasks).  Interestingly, Android stores both the compressed and uncompressed copies of our installation on your device.  Our compressed size is about 5MB, and the uncompressed size is about 7MB, making the total footprint 12MB.

The size of the codebase itself is reflective of the complexity and fragmentation between the huge number of available Android devices and the rapid innovation on the part of phone and hardware manufacturers. 

We're very conscious of the distribution size and have really taken every step technically possible to reduce the size of the compressed and installed binaries.  We spend a lot of time and energy on keeping the player as small as it is.  Any additional trade-offs that we could make between file size would come at the expense of execution speed (we inline a lot of performance-critical code), which would negatively affect video and multimedia playback performance (and don't yield enough of an improvement to make the trade-off worthwhile).  We feel we've arrived at the right balance currently.

To give you some perspective, current well-equipped Android phone models ship with at least 1GB of internal phone storage.  In this context, Flash Player's 12MB footprint is negligible.  While we understand the impact on devices with minimal internal storage, there's not much we can do for these phones.

------------

10.) I can’t find Flash Player in the Android Market for my device

Flash Player requires a CPU with support for the ARMv7-A instruction set to achieve the level of performance required for acceptable multimedia playback.

Your device has an ARM11 CPU, which only supports the ARMv6 instruction set.

For future reference, Adobe maintains a list of devices certified to work with Adobe Flash Player and AIR here:

http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/certified_devices/

You might want to give Skyfire a try.  It uses "remote desktop" technology to render Flash animation and video in the cloud, for devices that are incapable of processing Flash content natively:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.skyfire.browser&feature=sear ch_result

Comments (0)