• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to register a Name Server

Mentor ,
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using a nameserver for the first time, you may need to register it with your registrar (the company that you used to register your site's domain name). Check with your domain name's registrar to see you can make these changes on the phone, if you do not feel comfortable updating the nameserver information on their website.

Note: Many Partners will not need to do this. If you aren't sure, contact support for more information.

Once your DNS servers have been registered, any new trial sites created in your Partner Portal will use your registered domain name, rather than the default system domain names. You can also modify your existing domain name records and change the DNS servers to your own domain name, if you have previously created sites that use the default domain names.

In this article, you'll find instructions for registering nameservers on some of the more popular registar websites.

Registering a nameserver with GoDaddy

1. Log in to the GoDaddy site.
  2. Select My Account > Domain List. Select the domain name you want to update. 
  3. Next to the Host Summary header, click Add.
  4. Enter "ns01" in the host name field and 54.236.190.129 in the IP address 1 field. Click OK.
  5. Repeat this process for the second set of fields, entering "ns02" in the host name field and 54.246.209.121 in the IP address 2 field.

Registering a nameserver with Namecheap

1. Log into the Namecheap website.
  2. Select My Account > Manage Domains. Select the domain name you want to update. 
  3. In the Advanced Options section, select Nameserver Registration.
  4. Enter the following two nameservers and IP addresses and then click Add nameservers:          

ns01.your_domain_name.com (54.236.190.129)          
          ns02.your_domain_name.com (54.246.209.121)         

Please Note: In the examples above, replace your_domain_name.com with your registered domain name.

Also, this will not automatically point your domain name to the registered nameservers. If you need to switch your domain to this DNS please use Transfer DNS to Webhost (or Domain Name Server Setup) from the left-side menu afterwards.

Registering a nameserver with Fabulous.com

1. Log into the Fabulous.com website.
  2. Select Manage > Nameservers. Scroll to the bottom and select Nameserver Edit > Create Nameserver. 
  3. FQDN is ns01, followed by the domain name you've registered at Fabulous. Then, enter its IP address: 54.236.190.129
  4. Click Continue. In the next section, enter ns02, followed by your domain name. Then, enter its IP address: 54.246.209.121

Registering a nameserver with Enom.com

1. Log into the Enom.com website.
  2. In the menu on the left, select Domain Names.
  3. Also in the left menu, select Register DNS.
  4. If you are registering the nameservers for the first time, use the section titled Register a NameServer Name.
  5. If you have previously registered nameservers for your domain, use the section titled Update a NameServer IP.
  6. Enter the information provided in the e-mail you received when you first set up your account with Enom.com.
  7. In the Nameservers section, enter the following information:

ns01.your_domain_name.com - IP address (54.236.190.129)          
       ns02.your_domain_name.com - IP address (54.246.209.121)          

Note: In the examples above, replace your_domain_name.com with your registered domain name.

Registering a nameserver with Bulkregister.com

1. Log in to your account on the Bulkregister.com site.
  2. Select the option: List Domains.
  3. In the list of domain names that appears, select the domain name you want to edit.
  4. Click Manage Name Servers.
  5. Click the option: To create child name servers of this domain, click here.
  6. In the left field, enter ns01 (the prefix of the primary nameserver).          

Note: There's no need to enter the suffix for the domain name (such as .com or .org) because it is already listed.
  7. In the right field, enter the following IP address for the primary nameserver: 54.236.190.129
  8. Click Create Name Servers.          

Note: If a second set of fields are displayed, enter the secondary prefix in the left field: ns02 and enter the following IP address in the right field: 54.246.209.121
  9. Click Confirm.

Registering a nameserver with Network solutions

1. Log into your account on the Network Solutions website.
  2. Click the Host Registration Form link.          

Note: In order to register your nameservers, you'll need to fill out the form twice (once for the primary and again for the secondary nameserver).
  3. In the General Information section, enter your email address. Select the New option.
  4. In the Host Information section, enter the following information:          

Host NIC Handle: (leave this field blank)          
    Host Name: Enter the nameserver NS01.your_domain_name.com (replacing your_domain_name.com with the site's domain name).          
    IP Address: Enter the IP address for the primary nameserver: 54.236.190.129
  5. In the Contact Information section, enter your NIC handle. If you don't know your NIC handle, you can obtain this by doing a WHOIS lookup of your main domain name.          

Alternatively, you can create a new contact record by leaving the NIC Handle field blank and submitting the form.
  6. In the Host Form Authorization Information section, select the preferred Authentication Method.
  7. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Generate Host Form.          

A completed Host Template is displayed. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Mail this Host Form to me. The site will send you a copy of the Host Template.
  8. Check your email to receive the form. Click reply to send the form back to Network Solutions. This is an important step, because if you do not reply to the email with the form, Network Solutions will not process your registration. 
  9. Repeat steps 2-8 to register the secondary nameserver. When you repeat step #4, enter the following information:          

Host NIC Handle: (leave this field blank)          
    Host Name: Enter the nameserver NS02.your_domain_name.com (replacing your_domain_name.com with the site's domain name).          
    IP Address: Enter the IP address for the primary nameserver: 54.246.209.121

Registering a nameserver with OpenSRS

1. Log into your account on the OpenSRS website.
  2. In the Manage Name Servers section, click the option:           

If you want to create or modify a name server which is based on {your domain} click here.
  3. Enter the prefix for the primary nameserver: ns01 and its corresponding IP address: 54.236.190.129
  4. Click Create Name Server.           

Note: Do not enter the www prefix before the domain name, because this may cause a problem with your web server lookups.

The most common error when setting up a new nameserver is:

Unable to create nameserver: Registry error, nameserver creation failed [Attribute value not unique]

If this error is displayed, it means that the IP address you entered is already registered.

If the system requests a secondary nameserver, enter ns02 and its corresponding IP address: 54.246.209.121

Registering a nameserver with Melbourne IT

1. Log into your account on the Melbourne IT website
  2. In the right corner, click the Domains tab.
  3. Select the Make Changes menu option. The Domain Management page is displayed.
  4. Enter your domain name and Registry Key (if requested).           

Note: If you have lost the Registry Key, click Lost Registry Key recovery. In the field that appears, enter your domain name and click Resend Key.
  5. Click Enter Management. The list of domain name management links appears.
  6. Click Name Server Functions.
  7. Enter the Host Name (ns01.your_domain_name.com) and the corresponding IP address: 54.236.190.129          

Note: In the example above, replace your_domain_name.com with the domain name for the site.
  8. Click Add. The system confirms your submission by displaying the message: Added.          

The new name server is added to the Current Name Servers list.
  9. If the system requests a secondary nameserver, repeat steps 6-8. When repeating step #7, enter the Host Name (ns02.your_domain_name.com) and the corresponding IP address: 54.246.209.121          

Note: In the example above, replace your_domain_name.com with the domain name for the site.
  10. Click Logout.

To learn more about managing domain names, see Understanding DNS and Troubleshooting DNS issues.

TOPICS
Documentation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2013 Feb 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help me.

Im trying to link a domain from webcity to bc this is the control panel

Add DNS Record

Enter the parameters for the DNS record to be created and click 'Add Record'. If no prefix is specified, the record will be apply to the root or origin of the zone. The time to live (TTL) for the record will default to one day, you may specify a different TTL if required.

Prefix
TTL When blank defaults to 86400
Type
Value

< Back

im in the uk so the value would be 192.150.8.140

im guessing i dont need to change the TTL if i put in a prefix

what would be the prefix for this?

when i leave it blank and click add record this page shows

The addition of this record would result in our servers hosting neither the web site nor the email for this domain. If this is really what you want to do, map the domain to 'No Mapping' and configure its DNS records via the domain management page.

so do I add no mapping to the prefix? or something else? please please help!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If setting up external DNS with BC then yes you'll add that IP for UK sites.  The prefix is "@" for non-www reference and also "www" for the www reference of the domain. 

Per the external DNS guidelines you'll need to create two a-records pointing back to our UK IP under those two prefixes. 

- http://kb.worldsecuresystems.com/157/bc_157.html

Hope this helps!

-Sidney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for help Sidney much appreciated however can you be even more plain and simple for me as I'm still a little unsure if I've got my head around webcity's set up.

As you explained I should use @ for one A record prefix and www for the second prefix.

However when I type in just @ or www and add it with the 192.150.8.140 IP it still says the warning that I pasted in my last message.

Am I being really stupid and missing out the address after the @ or www? Should it just say

Prefix : @       (Or @ceramic-planet2@businesscatalyst.com)

TTL :

Type:A

Value: 192.150.8.140

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming for your DNS set-up with Webcity you are already under the domain settings.  So for prefix would only need to include "@" and for the second entry "www". 

Example

Prefix : @    

TTL :

Prefix : www   

TTL :

If still stuck however I would suggest reaching out to Webcity to help confirm your set-up with them as they should be able to edit if something is not 100% to their liking.  - http://www.webcity.com.au/contact.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sidney you've put my mind at ease and made me realise I'm not complete stupid. webcity (not my choice of domain host) seems pretty simple to use but not very obvious for a newbie like myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I still own the domain name (i.e. admin, technical, contact,..et al)? Some companies take ownership and domain name registration is lost to me. I don't want to have to buy it back later, but this DNS set-up sounds like what I need. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Domain ownership is still yours.  DNS is just telling where the domain is being hosted to display your eventual site. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines