Skip navigation

Fireworks CS4 Internal error when starting

Oct 16, 2008 6:46 PM

Latest reply: Vau^hn, Jan 24, 2012 10:38 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 12, 2008 9:26 AM   in reply to netmotivated
    Here's a list of default vista fonts from a 3rd party site. weird, but I wasn't able to find it in the microsoft site.

http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/windows-fonts-by-version.html

Try this technote too:

Reduce the number of active fonts (Windows Vista)
    http://www.adobe.com/go/kb404915

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2008 4:06 PM   in reply to MontyC
    I contacted Adobe support and an engineer was able to help me solve this. I am using a Mac OS X version 10.4.11. In my case, it was a problem font in my user fonts. I went to user:Library:Fonts and moved that font folder to a new folder with a different name. Then after I restarted my computer, Fireworks opened. Now if I feel a need for the user fonts I disabled, I will reinstall them one at a time and see if Fireworks still opens until I find the culprit font. I hope I don't have to restart my computer each time I reinstall a font to see if Fireworks still opens, but I might have to.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2008 4:10 PM   in reply to MontyC
    quote:

Originally posted by: MontyC
    I contacted Adobe support and an engineer was able to help me solve this. In my case, it was a problem font in my user fonts. I went to user:Library:Fonts and moved that font folder to a new folder with a different name. Then after I restarted my computer, Fireworks opened. Now if I feel a need for the user fonts I disabled, I will reinstall them one at a time and see if Fireworks still opens until I find the culprit font. I hope I don't have to restart my computer each time I reinstall a font to see if Fireworks still opens, but I might have to.

Maybe we are finally getting somewhere here.

I will try the same thing (on Windows Vista SP1).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2008 5:14 PM   in reply to Very Invisible
    quote:

Originally posted by: Very Invisible
    I have quite a lot of fonts (3000+) but when I wanted to uninstall them I didn't know which ones to leave.

Here's a page that has info the the Vista system fonts: Sorting it all Out: The big font list in Windows

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2008 4:08 PM   in reply to netmotivated
    I've got 3717 fonts on my laptop and I really don't have the time to be able to search through them all and get rid of stuff. Does anyone have an idea as to what font(s) or font family/families are causing the internal error ??

Oh and by the way, I'm using windows vista home premium sp1

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2008 4:30 PM   in reply to SliferX
    quote:

Originally posted by: SliferX
    I've got 3717 fonts on my laptop and I really don't have the time to be able to search through them all and get rid of stuff. Does anyone have an idea as to what font(s) or font family/families are causing the internal error ??

Oh and by the way, I'm using windows vista home premium sp1

No, not yet.

No one knows for certain if the fonts are the only problem and then which fonts are causing this.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2008 12:52 AM   in reply to SliferX
    Very Invisible wrote:

> No one knows for certain if the fonts are the only problem and then
    > which fonts are causing this.

Go to the C:\Windows\fonts folder and view details. Sort the view by
    file size and check for any fonts with a zero byte size. If you find
    any, delete them. Those fonts are corrupted. You can also test for
    corrupt fonts in Mac or Windows by using Font Agent.

http://www.insidersoftware.com/

--
    Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
    http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2008 4:07 PM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    I don't have any fonts that are zero bytes in size, but I have one that is 10MB, the only other fonts with large file sizes are the adobe named fonts. Also, this particular font shows up as FangSong in the fonts folder, yet its actual filename is simfang.ttf and also its font type says Open Type.

Could it be this font that is causing me my problems ??

EDIT: I have also found some other fonts that have a font type as Open Type yet the file names have the extension .ttf

EDIT 2: I also have a three fonts that have their font types listed as Type 1, where two of them are 1KB in size and the other is 14KB in size. Thats if there is anything wrong with them.

And also, does it matter if the font file names are all in caps ??

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2008 5:48 PM   in reply to SliferX
    I had this problem for a while (since installing the trial) and this seems to have hit gold. I used Font Manager 3.5 to "Uninstall all fonts not supplied with Windows". No restart needed, and it works fine. (Down from 700s to 100s).

Sorry, I was too lazy to isolate an individual problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2008 12:46 PM   in reply to The_Inhibitor
    quote:

Originally posted by: The Inhibitor
    I had this problem for a while (since installing the trial) and this seems to have hit gold. I used Font Manager 3.5 to "Uninstall all fonts not supplied with Windows". No restart needed, and it works fine. (Down from 700s to 100s).

Sorry, I was too lazy to isolate an individual problem.

I can confirm this same procedure worked for me also - used Font Manager to uninstall all but the Windows System Fonts and Fireworks started up fine after exhibiting the same problems. We may have a winner, now when will we see a patch that fixes this??

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2008 8:26 AM   in reply to netmotivated
    Any why, exactly, is Fireworks limiting us to that number?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2008 11:02 PM   in reply to Marje
    Found it, on mac, the issue are two fonts: english__.ttf and some dragon___.ttf

THose two were the ones blocking fireworks from start. Solved issue!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2008 1:58 PM   in reply to webjac314
    Seems to be an error in the way fireworks reads some fonts, the best option I can provide is go through and delete all non-essential system fonts from "C:/Windows/Fonts/" and restore them in groups, it was easiest for me to narrow it by restoring single letters of the alphabet at the same time. Seems that a TI(Texas Instruments) Calculator font file was causing me the trouble. I suppose it will be different on other machines as everyone has their own fonts!

*EDIT*

Fireworks doesn't limit you to 1024 fonts, I have had over 3500+ fonts installed at once and fireworks ran just fine, just took me forever to go through the list!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2008 10:04 AM   in reply to Jtstuedle
    Same problem.
    Noticed a file in my path (under Vista SP1): C:\Users\i7-920\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Fireworks CS4
    Named: Font Map.txt (which appeared to be empty)
    Renamed to: Font Map-bak.txt

FW started right up. Recreated the file Font Map.txt (which still appears to be empty).
    Tried several times and it seems OK.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2009 6:15 PM   in reply to fontst
    All I did was download and install Font Manager 4, the Trial version. Then I ran it on Vista as an Administrator, and followed the steps in the Quick Guide.pdf (I don't know the exact name of the file). Then after importing all the fonts I hit OK and it asked to restart my computer, so I did. After it restarted I tried Fireworks and it worked.

Don't ask me how I got it to work because that is all I did and nothing else. I was just about to uninstall all my Adobe products and run the scripts but something told me to try again. Thank you "something".

P.S. The message that popped up after saying "Initializing Tools" in the splash was, "Program cannot start. Internal error occurred." (Well, something like that).

Thank you all for your help. Its been a good 2 days and I hope I never have to come back here for help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2009 4:06 AM   in reply to EmilioODC
    Thanks everyone for the post in this. I had the exact same problem and downloaded a font manager. It found corrupted fonts that would not allow Fireworks to open. I bought the full CS4 Web Developer package for close to $1000 bucks, the support call center was not much help. It amazes me how someone could charge that much for software and it have problems with a corrupt font that keeps it from opening and does not give you much of a debug message. I was just lucky to find this topic.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2009 4:43 PM   in reply to waypoint_tom
    Exact same problem. I have Design Premium CS3 (no Fireworks) and decided to trial Web Premium CS4 (has Fireworks). Got the trial version 01/12/08, installed it same day. Today, I thought I'd check out the programs that didn't come with DP CS3. So far so good except Fireworks. Thanks to this forum I moved all my fonts except the essentials and now Fireworks opens. Appears it is definitely a font problem. Now which one? I don't collect fonts so they were either installed with MS office 2007 or with the CS3/CS4 package. None of the fonts mentioned so far here were on my PC.

No need to run cleanscript for CS3 or CS4 (yet). I did not have to uninstall any Adobe products or reinstall the trial CS4. I simply copied my fonts into a backup file and then deleted every font in C:\WINDOWS\fonts that wasn't required to run the Windows XP OS. No need to reboot. I reinitialized Fireworks and it finished without incident.

Now if anyone, like Adobe, could tell me which font(s) is causing the problem, I'd appreciate it. In the meantime:
    1. I'm not keen on paying for a known problem. After my trial is up I'll be talking to Adobe about what they plan to do to fix this. Otherwise, I may be very content not to upgrade. The rest of the CS4 suite will have to give me some positive experience to balance out the Fireworks fiasco.
    2. I'll be systematically testing which font(s) causes the error and report back. I hope I can find the problem before my 30 days are up! ;-).

further edit: I informed Adobe of the bug. I also noticed that Fireworks initialization crashed at the same place while trying to load "styles".

01.14.09 Update: There has been some mention on other fireworks forum threads that the font TI-86.TTF is the culprit. I have found this to be true in my case. I have only 673 fonts and only TI-86.TFF caused Fireworks not to initialize. All the other fonts, including other TI (Texas Instrument) fonts, did not cause any error to occur.

01.15.09 Update: I installed the trial software on my second (office) PC that has allot of technical software on it. In this instance, after installation, I removed the TI-86.TFF font before initializing any Adobe CS4 software. I then started Fireworks first. It initialized without any problems. The difference in the amount of fonts is small maybe around 750 fonts on my office PC with the additional being from ESRI. OS is WXP SP3.

Hope this helps anyone else with this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2009 8:28 AM   in reply to mararichi
    Hi,

I've had the same problem for some months since installing CS4. I used a piece of software called FontExpert ( http://www.proximasoftware.com/fontexpert) to narrow down which font it was out of my 1152 installed fonts. In my case it turned out to be:

"Medway light SF" with a file name of rochl.ttf, uninstalled it and Fireworks worked fine.

Hope this saves somebody some time.

All the best
    Justin Nye
    GrippleSpider.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2009 8:45 AM   in reply to GrippleSpider
    quote:

Originally posted by: GrippleSpider
    Hi,

I've had the same problem for some months since installing CS4. I used a piece of software called FontExpert ( http://www.proximasoftware.com/fontexpert) to narrow down which font it was out of my 1152 installed fonts. In my case it turned out to be:

"Medway light SF" with a file name of rochl.ttf, uninstalled it and Fireworks worked fine.

Hope this saves somebody some time.

All the best
    Justin Nye
    GrippleSpider.com

FontExpert is not finding any damaged fonts but still I can't run Fw CS4.

What can I do?

Also... I can't find 'Font Manager 4' anywhere.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2009 3:30 AM   in reply to Very Invisible
    HI,

Keep FontExpert open then select a group of fonts, say All those beginning with A and Unistall to a Group.
    Try starting Fireworks,
    If it fails, close the dialog, switch back to Font Expert and Delete the 'B''s
    Try starting Fireworks...
    Continue until it loads, then you know the group where the font is that fails and can whittle it down from there.

All the Best
    Justin

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2009 4:17 PM   in reply to mararichi
    I'm using Vista SP1. Installed CS4 two days ago, been having this same problem.

I read this, I had those TI fonts, delted them all.
    Started up Fireworks, and it finally launched successfully!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 9:02 PM   in reply to mararichi

Thanks mararichi! I had this same problem with my Fireworks CS4, "Could not launch Fireworks. An Internal error occurred" with only 471 fonts installed.

I removed the font TI-86.TTF using Control Panel > Fonts and my problem disappeared!

I did not need to remove my other TI fonts, only the TI-86.TTF font.

I hope this fixes it for the rest of you.

Steps to fix:

1. Start > Control Panel > Fonts
    2. Find the font named TI-86.TTF and press your Delete key.
    3. Click Yes in the confirmation dialog box.
    4. Now try launching Fireworks. It should launch correctly this time.

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2009 1:18 AM   in reply to netmotivated

Hey Guys,

I suffered from this almost from the first day i installed fireworks trial.

Anyway i tried all solutions found on the internet and nothing worked , till i tried to close "Extensis suitcase" and fireworks opened and worked like a charm.

So one of the solutions is to shutdown extensis suitcase.

Hope this works for you too.

Regards

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2009 12:51 AM   in reply to netmotivated

Hi All,

An updater is being planned for Adobe Fireworks CS4 which will address the text bounding box jumping issues. The issue of internal error on startup due to various reasons is also being targeted from this patch. The patch is in a soon to be released stage.

..Sarthak

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2009 6:07 AM   in reply to Sarthak Singhal

The Adobe Fireworks CS4 patch available at http://www.adobe.com/support/fireworks/downloads_updaters.html should sort out this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2009 6:12 AM   in reply to netmotivated

My problem has disappeared and I don't know how or why.

I have checked from time to time over the past months to see if Fireworks would load without any sucess.

A week ago I installed 38 handwriting fronts and later tried to load Firwworks and it did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I am none the wisier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2009 6:56 AM   in reply to AusterRon

I'm also having problems instaling Fireworks CS4. It installs with errors and then I can't run the application.... (I'm running Vista)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2009 6:48 PM   in reply to Sarthak Singhal

Hello,

I have been using the trial version of FW CS4 for the past week with no problems and now I have the Internal error message ..

I have uninstalled the program and then reinstalled 2x and have also acquried the updater you mentioned in the thread , still with no help with the internal message bug that popped up before.

Is this an issue with trial ? should I remove all of the adobe products again? please help!!

thanks

screen shot

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2009 9:26 PM   in reply to aboomkat

Trial version of Fireworks CS4 and the patch 10.0.0.3 should not generate this error.

Can you try renaming/deleting up your preferences folder and then re-launch Fw CS4 to launch?

..Sarthak

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2009 11:45 PM   in reply to Sarthak Singhal

I had this problem and solved it by renaming this file (under Windows XP):

Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\Adobe\Fireworks CS4\English\Fireworks CS4 Panel Prefs.xml

Where <User Name> stands for my user name.

When FW started, it recreated the file (it couldn't find the old one, since I had renamed it).

Seems to be working fine now.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2009 11:47 PM   in reply to michaelhurwicz

I renamed the file, because I noticed it had a size of zero bytes -- indicating it was probably corrupted.   You might look for any FW CS4 configuration file with a size of zero bytes and rename it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2009 8:14 AM   in reply to Sanjay B

I had the same promlem using Windows Vista. I re installed 2 times, no previous beta on the machine. Nothing worked. I was so fed up and needed to work that I purchased my first MAC. I sure hope it doesn't happen again like it did to the person above!

I use Fireworks every day! Until I saw this thread I thought it was mt "sick" PC:-)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2009 8:18 AM   in reply to michaelhurwicz

Thanks for the tip. I found the file on my computer but it was not zero bytes in size; it was 34Kb.  I tried renaming it anyway, but that didn't rid the Fireworks boot error.  The Fireworks patch did work however!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2009 8:27 AM   in reply to Sarthak Singhal

Sarthak,

You had the "golden touch" with providing us the link to the Fireworks patch.  I realize the installation of any piece of software is likely to result in a slightly different configuration of files (executables, drivers, etc.) on each computer onto which it is installed, but the Fireworks patch did the trick for me!  I read your posting this morning and downloaded the patch.  It was a quick install and Fireworks CS4 booted up on my first try.  Thanks a whole bunch. I wish I had found your post two weeks ago when I first installed the CS4 suite and encountered the Fireworks problem; i.e., every program in the suite booted fine except Fireworks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2009 9:33 PM   in reply to Joe Joyner

Hey Joe. Glad to help you out and ensuring Fireworks is up and running at your end.

Enjoy the designing times ahead.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2009 1:51 PM   in reply to netmotivated

I am having the same problem on a brand new computer with only OfficeMac 2008 installed on it. This is obviously a bigger problem that Adobe is refusing to accept. I have spent a total of 4 days (2 hours each day) on the phone with them and nothing has fixed the problem. They obviously don't know what's going on either.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2009 2:02 PM   in reply to Bradford Rentfrow

This is actually the second time its happened to me. The first was on 

my PC which I replaced with the Mac thinking it was my 

computer...obviously not.

This is tough for people that use FW daily. It makes contributing in 

the forum difficult when I can't test  issues.

Joyce J. Evans Erb

http://IdeaDesignWebsites.com

Our Ideas Make You Shine!

813-917-2116

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2009 9:51 PM   in reply to Bradford Rentfrow

I am still suspecting it to be a problem related to fonts installed on the system. The patch tried to address this issue incase there is a corrupted font or unreadable font. However I feel that there are some exceptions to this and the patch is unable to handle it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2009 7:34 AM   in reply to Sarthak Singhal

All I Have installed is iwork, MC

Joyce J. Evans Erb

http://IdeaDesignWebsites.com

Our Ideas Make You Shine!

813-917-2116

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2009 7:37 PM   in reply to Sarthak Singhal

After going through my Fonts folder (Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard), I tracked it down to two fonts:

Song.dfont
    Seoul.dfont

Song caused an error on startup, and Seoul caused an error when I quit.  These are also the only two fonts with the "dfont" extension, so I'm guessing that has something to do with it.  Fireworks is back to normal now, and I hope this helps solve the problem for other users too.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points