Skip navigation
rw34oc
Currently Being Moderated

Does Adobe Air support Mac OS X?

Feb 2, 2009 11:07 AM

When I try to run Adobe.com on Adobe Air (or another Air application, for that matter), the application crashes. I am running Mac OS 10.5.6.
I was initially able to run Air applications. But as of last week or so, I cannot.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2009 4:47 PM   in reply to rw34oc
    Hello rw340c,

Thanks for posting, sorry to hear that you're crashing while using the AIR application.
    Are you able to access www.acrobat.com from your web browser successfully?

What has changed since when you were able to run the AIR applications successfully?

You might consider trying to run the AIR application in a New Administrative user to see if the crashes are user-specific.

Give this a try and get back to us!
    Cheers,
    Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2009 9:04 PM   in reply to rw34oc
    rw34oc,

Sure thing! Thanks for your response, and for the initial troubleshooting performed!

Can you create a NEW administrative account (System Preferences > User Accounts > New User/Administrative priveledges, maybe call it "troubleshoot", if you like), and then try installing the AIR app...
    This test is to basically start with a clean user folder, and thus the applications create new sets of preferences.
    If things work under this user, then we might be able to pinpoint a bad preference file, or user permission related error.

Give that step a try, and if it still doesn't work, get back to us, and I'll look further into it.

Thanks,
    Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2009 11:53 AM   in reply to rw34oc
    Hi rw34oc,

Just letting you know that I'm looking into this for you. I'll get back to you when I have more information.
    Thanks for testing with me as much as you have!

Cheers,
    Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2009 10:36 AM   in reply to rw34oc
    Hello rw340c,

Here's a suggestion to try prior to a more involved manual uninstall...

Can you try to uninstall AIR using the “Adobe AIR Uninstaller” under Applications->Utilities and then try to install the application again?

Let us know how it goes!
    Thanks,
    Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2009 10:20 PM   in reply to rw34oc
    Hello rw34oc,

You've given us a toughy! Apologies for the inconvenience, but I do appreciate you continuing to post, and troubleshoot with us.

Here's the latest:
    I would like for you to delete all the AIR files manually, delete the Framework folder for AIR at HD:Library:Frameworks:Adobe AIR.framework.

Then delete HD:Applications:Utilities:Adobe AIR Application Installer and Adobe AIR Uninstaller files.

At this point the system should be clean and ready for installation again, then launch the terminal and type this command “ touch .airinstall.log ” , run the AIR installer again.....If it crashes again, please send us the “ cat .airinstall.log” output.

One more question for you as well, are you running different Mac OS’es on your system?

Thanks again,

Regards,
    Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2009 1:09 PM   in reply to acropete
    Has this issue been resolved?

I am trying to run an AIR app which _crashes_ as soon as it needs to access a file or files on the hard drive. Sometimes it just crashes, sometimes I get an error that the app can't find Adobe AIR. I have followed most or all of the suggestions in this thread.

Attached code is a crash report.

?

Thanks!

The app can be found here

The crash report can be found here

Patrick
    --

|
    Mark as:
    11. ,
    Feb 18, 2009 1:18 PM   in reply to patrickcheatham
    Hi, we have had about 10 users report this problem when trying to install Jott Express.

Jott Express requires 1.0 or later and 1.5 works for almost everyone, but once and awhile we get a user who encounters this bug.

Is there a fix in the works? Is there an email address I can refer users to who encounter this problem or should I just refer them to this message thread?

Thanks,
    Brooke

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2009 1:50 PM   in reply to patrickcheatham
    yes, bump please -- Any news on this issue?

I have further input on this:

1) The crash occurs when the user switches tabs; specifically, when the user switches from a tab which does _not_ contain an HTML component, to one which _does_ contain an HTML component. Said HTML component looks for local content.

2) The crash occurs when the app tries to phone home to Adobe; this phoning home appears to occur during item 1 above _and/or_ when the app is launched.

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Patrick

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2009 3:48 PM   in reply to rw34oc
    Hello Patrick, and Brooke.

Thanks for your posts. It is unclear if your issues are related to this thread poster's initial problem, which is what we were working to resolve here in this thread. But they may be....

In response to rw34oc, we are still looking into this for you using the crash data that you sent via private message.

When I get more information I will post it to this thread, and hopefully it'll be helpful to both patrick and brooke.
    Thank you all for your interest!

Cheers,
    Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2009 12:43 PM   in reply to rw34oc
    Hello rw34oc, Patrick, and Brooke,

Here's the latest:
    According to rw34oc's crash log, there are two input manager on the machine, plaxo and cooliris. We don't support any input managers, and many have been known to crash AIR. The situation has been improved in the next AIR update, and is worth trying in this case, with the hope that this issue could be resolved.

The AIR update will be going live next week.

Can you all hang tight until next Wednesday, and try the new AIR version, and see if crash still occurs?

Thanks!
    Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2009 8:21 AM   in reply to acropete
    quote:

Originally posted by: acropete
    Hello rw34oc, Patrick, and Brooke,

Here's the latest:
    According to rw34oc's crash log, there are two input manager on the machine, plaxo and cooliris. We don't support any input managers, and many have been known to crash AIR. The situation has been improved in the next AIR update, and is worth trying in this case, with the hope that this issue could be resolved.

The AIR update will be going live next week.

Can you all hang tight until next Wednesday, and try the new AIR version, and see if crash still occurs?

Hi Pete:

Thanks for the word!

We'll hang tight 'til next week (what else can we do ;-) ), but keep trying to suss out the issue on our end. If you/Adobe should want project files or code of ours to look at, the probably wouldn't be a problem (would have to happen off list).

I have further reports from users; some of them do have multiple input managers, but most are single out-of-the-box setups... though none of them are English :-)! Currently users report their languages are Russian, Italian, Polish and French.

Best,

Patrick

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2009 11:10 AM   in reply to rw34oc
    Thanks for the updates!
    We are still looking into this, as well as a few other issues that have popped up. So we'll certainly get back to this as we find more information.

If you would like to attempt some more steps. Here is a PS.com article that has some extra steps that we haven't tried thus far, on the Acrobat.com end.
    Perhaps this could contain some related solutions:

Link to troubleshooting article

Give those steps a try, and then get back to us if you see any change in behavior!!

Thanks!
    Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2009 10:27 AM   in reply to acropete
    I have a report from a user that installing the latest rev of Safari (4 beta) resolved the crashing issues with my app. Smells like WebKit?

Not sure how that affects the other folks in this thread, but FYI.

Cheers,

Patrick

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2009 5:02 PM   in reply to rw34oc
    Hi rw34oc,

Thanks for the update. Glad the AIR was installed, and runs!
    One issue sounds like it's resolved!

Now onto the new issue here:

Do you only get the error/blanks pages with Safari?
    Do you get the same error in another browser?

Thanks,
    Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2009 12:02 PM   in reply to rw34oc
    Success!

Good work :) And thank you for posting your results, and solution.

Great to hear that you're up and running.

Let us know if you run into anymore issues.
    Take care,
    Pete

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 3:26 PM   in reply to rw34oc

Finally, you have to do the following ( under Mac OS Snow Leopard ):

-Uninstall ALL air applications.

-Uninstall AIR, using the Uninstaller App ( located in /Applications/Utilities )

AND

-Delete the following directory:

sudo rm -rf /Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/AIR/

And BINGO! after doing that, reinstall adobe air, and tweetdeck!!!

There you go, at least that worked for me, hopefully it works for you!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 10:16 AM   in reply to JorgeMuza

Hey I had this problem - I tried everything I could think of including most of the suggestions on this form. In the end I found all I had to do was delete (I didn't even have to re-install adobe-air! );

sudo rm -rf /Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/Afloat.bundle/

NOTE: The 'Afloat.bundle' was the problem in my case but from what I read on a different form, it can happen with many different programs. Be CAREFUL that you aren't actaully using the directory your about to delete. In my case the 'Afloat' was a program I had uninstalled already.

Here's where I found the answer originally -- http://forum.dofus.com/en/4-problems-solutions/98828-dofus-not-working -adobe-air-cannot-be-found

Hope that helps someone!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2011 4:43 AM   in reply to rw34oc

Hello All,

I had Adobe Air installed with three applications: Zinio, Mindomo & Prezi. Everything was working fine. I upgraded my Mac OS X leopard to Snow Leopard. Zinio asked to be upgraded to 4.0 and upon upgrading the app I was asked to upgrade to Adobe Air 2.5.1. After upgrades I receive the following error when I try to run any of the applications : "This application requires a version of Adobe AIR which cannot be found. Please download the latest version of the runtime from http://www.adobe.com/go/getair, or contact the application author for an updated version." followed by a crash, here is the crash report: http://www.box.net/shared/b003opfbmo

I have tried the above steps, including uninstalling the applications, adobe air, running the terminals commands and then installing all again. Can anyone help?

P.S. the same reproduces on another administrative account on the same machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2011 12:28 PM   in reply to AsemGa

AsemGa,

did you ever find a solution? I'm having the exact same problem.

Thanks....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points