Skip navigation
DaveRW2
Currently Being Moderated

FMLE Command Line - retry if it doesn't connect?

Feb 13, 2009 3:23 AM

I'm running Flash Media Encoder, and have the profiles loading from the command line in batch files - I'm using Scheduled Tasks to start and stop encoding by batch file, eg. "start.bat" looks like this:

"c:\Program Files\Adobe\Flash Media Encoder 2.5\FMEcmd.exe" /p c:\profiles\myprofile.xml /l c:\my_log2.txt /r

etc.

I've been using the <reconnectinterval> setting in my profiles to ensure that, if a connection to the server (I'm using Wowza) drops, it will try to reconnect - and this works very well.

However, 1 time in 10 when the "start" batch file is run, it won't connect - but I know that if it tried again, it would probably connect fine. But the <reconnectinterval> setting doesn't seem to be appropriate here, so I'm looking for an equivalent that says - "if I connected, start encoding and end batch file, if I didn't connect, run again and keep trying until you can connect".

Someone suggesting starting and stopping the server, rather than the encoders - but the server has to keep running all the time, as it is being used for multiple streams that run at different times - so it has to be the encoders that start and stop at the correct times (it's for live TV).

This is something that needs to run unattended, hence using scheduled tasks to start and stop the encoding.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 13, 2009 9:24 AM   in reply to DaveRW2
    What you can do is to write a script that reads FMLE sessions file (e.g. fmle_session_20090213_225317.log) and launch application if it was stopped due to connection failure.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2009 9:54 PM   in reply to DaveRW2
    It's a good feature request for FMLE. Presently, FMLE doesn't reconnect if it fails to establish a connection for the first time. If that was possible, your problem would be solved.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2009 2:36 AM   in reply to DaveRW2
    You can request new feature or can report bugs at
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2009 3:52 AM   in reply to DaveRW2
    If u use both 'save to file' and 'stream to server' options, then FMLEcmd.exe will be launched and encoding will occur. In this case, if FMLE can't connect at the start, then it will never try it again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2010 7:59 PM   in reply to fmeuser

I just want to echo the heads up about FMLE not starting on the first attempt. When controlling via cmd line, it seems to connect and then hang...no video is actually encoded. I make no changes whatsoever, but simply try again and it works successfully.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points