Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dark Prints with Photoshop CS3 and CS4 but not Lightroom

Dec 21, 2008 2:13 PM

Hi, To start,I have calibrated my dell monitor with eye-one pro as well as my epson 7800. i am running vista 64 bit on my PC...

When i use photoshop (CS3 or CS4) the images look fine on the screen and come out really dark on the printer. When i use lightroom, the images look fine on the screen and fine on the printer.

Any guidance on how to "fix" photoshop would be appreciated. By the way, in photoshop print dialogue, i color manage the document, photoshop manages the color, the printer profile is set to the I-1 custom printer profile, rendering is perceptual, and black point compensation is checked.

Thanks,
Joe

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 21, 2008 4:39 PM   in reply to (Joseph_Rokovich)
    Joe,

What are the parameters you used to calibrate your monitor? (ie, white luminance, color temp, gamma, and if your software allows....black luminance).

Lou

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2008 7:05 PM   in reply to (Joseph_Rokovich)
    Also, to what Lou is asking, I would add:
    What are your settings in the printer driver that comes up right after Photoshop's own Print dialog box? Have you checked "No Color Adjustment" in the "Color Management" tab of the driver? Have you selected the correct media type, as well as Mode > Advanced Settings in the "Print Settings" tab?

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Dec 21, 2008 9:42 PM   in reply to (Joseph_Rokovich)
    >for Media type "photo quality ink jet paper"

Is that appropriate for the 7800?

Because, for a printer like my Epson 2200, "photo quality ink jet paper" is substandard, low-quality paper, far below the quality I need to buy, such as Premium Luster, Premium Photo Glossy, Enhanced Matte or Watercolor papers.

Maybe the nomenclature for other series of printer is different?

I would expect the prints from the 2200 on "photo quality ink jet paper" to look like unmitigated cr@p.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2008 1:23 AM   in reply to (Joseph_Rokovich)
    >When i then click on page setup, i go to the "epson stylus pro 7800 properties.

I don't have your same printer, but it sounds like you are describing the printer driver, not "Page Setup".

>On the "Main" tab, I have selected the following:

You must try to use the exact same terminology that you encountering. There is no "main" tab that I know of in the printer driver.

>for "select setting" i have "current settings";

I've no idea where that would be.

>for Media type "photo quality ink jet paper";

Fine, as long as that is exactly the kind of paper you are using.

>for "color" i have "color";

You mean for "Ink" you select "Color"? Again, you must be precise if you want to receive help.

>for "print quality" i have "quality"; for "mode" i have clicked "automatic"

That is incorrect. You should choose "No Color Adjustment", both when printing the testchart which you measure to create the profile and when you print after you have created the profile and are using it in Photoshop's "Print" dialog box.

If you don't do that, your results will be invalid.

>and under that is "epson Standard (sRGB)... hence there is no "advanced button" to select.

Yes, there should be, in the printer driver's "Printer Settings" tab.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2009 8:48 AM   in reply to (Marco_Ugolini)

I manage color and service bureau printing at the college I work for, and we've been fighting the upgrade to CS4 for some time. Here's what we have so far.

Apple dual G5 machine with 10.5.8

Adobe PS CS3

Adobe PS CS4

3 x Epson 4800 Pro printers using an IP connection and using Driver version #6.11

We manage color with custom created profiles in eyeOne with eyeOne pro hardware.

When moving to CS4 for printing prints have gond dark and the color has taken an odd shift.

When printing with CS3, we get consistent color and density

All things being equal in the print settings for each version of PS.

I have heard that CS4 addresses the printing system differently (using an updated printing api from Apple) is this true?

When running prints from within another app (any app really) that prints directly through the OS, we get similar results as CS4.

The best explaination that we've been able to get is that the (epson) print driver is operating on the older api calls, and that when the OS (or CS4) is operating on the newer calls, the color and density issues arise.

Can anyone verify this?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2011 3:31 PM   in reply to (Joseph_Rokovich)

I suffered dark prints on CS4 using an Epson PX800 printer

The solution was as follows

I started up Photoshop then switched on my printer with a card in the card reader with  some photos on.

go to print your photo and in the "print profile" drop down menu, you will have a new profile "Camera RGB Profile" which is being picked up from the  photos on your card - Then print!! it works for me, i am using a Mac and my prints are no longer dark ,pretty much spot on

I use either Epson or Jessops paper with the original ink cartridges.

Give it a go!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2011 11:31 AM   in reply to (Joseph_Rokovich)

I had a similar problem and without going through all the steps in colour set up I offer two comments:

1. All recent monitors are too bright to match a printed image to an on-screen image which is the reason you bought your EyeOne. In setting up calibration 100 candelas is probably still too bright. I use 80 candelas.

2. See my colour set up for Adobe Suite and match my steps against yours. See: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/775255?tstart=0

Good Luck

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2011 7:48 AM   in reply to TerraAustralis

I am NOT a professional photographer. I am an advanced amateur who makes photos from RAW files using Lightroom and CS5 on a relatively inexpensive 4-ink Hp printer. I too run into the results where Lightroom prints beautifully, where CS5 prints too dark and desaturated. I do not have color calibration equipment. I use a Hp LCD monitor and can't seem to darken it down enough using either Brightness or Contrast to get screen and prints to match. I imagine you are all pro's, but is there anyone who can make a suggestion that would work for me? Thanks, Jennings

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 1:59 PM   in reply to JFordOrl

Having gotten more experience with my two new Adobe products, and having re-read the thread with a better understanding of what is in play here. I do thing the very bright newer monitors are the real problem. I have the HP f1905b LCD which has the clear glass screen, and I think the 'b' stands for 'bright'. So perhaps the new (especially non-frosted screens) are just too darned bright compared to the output onto glossy hp Premium Photo Paper with hp's dye based ink sets. Thanks anyway everyone!

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,388 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Oct 10, 2011 4:11 PM   in reply to JFordOrl

JFordOrl wrote:

I do thing the very bright newer monitors are the real problem. I have the HP f1905b LCD which has the clear glass screen, and I think the 'b' stands for 'bright'. So perhaps the new (especially non-frosted screens) are just too darned bright compared to the output onto glossy hp Premium Photo Paper with hp's dye based ink sets. Thanks anyway everyone!

See:http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark .shtml

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)