Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?

Jan 26, 2007 8:59 AM

Hallo.

I have a pdf file and I want to modify it with adobe 8 professional but when I m going to delete some text the said that all or part of selection has no available system font.

When I m choosing other fonts and clivk on embed Im taking a message that says The change to a different fontwas not done because the chosen font and the font encoding in this document differ and could not be resolved

Any solution on that?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2008 12:02 PM   in reply to (theo_std)
    i have the same problem :/

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2008 8:18 PM   in reply to (theo_std)
    Hi guys,
    Please find the solution @
    http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?id=8179

Regards,
    Saravanan.K

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 12:47 PM   in reply to (ksaravanan)

The post you refered to states that updated to 7.0.8 would solve the issue. But it

does not. Updated to 7.1 does not and even upgrading to 8.x still has not resolved the issue.

Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2010 8:33 AM   in reply to (theo_std)

There is no good solution within Acrobat Pro itself.  However, you CAN do the edit if you also have Adobe Illustrator installed.

Open your PDF document in Acrobat Pro.  Instead of using TouchUp Text Tool, use the TouchUp Object Tool.  Select the line of text you wish to alter, right click and choose Edit Object.

Your line of text should open up in Illustrator.  Illustrator will use a substitute font, letting you edit at will.  NOTE: you will NOT be able to save your change in the original font.  Good news is that Illustrator has a large number of fonts to choose from and you will most likely find one that is very close to the original - good enough for quick edit purposes.

Save your change and exit Illustrator.  Your change should be reflected by Adobe Acrobat Pro.  Another benefit is that your changed text is now TouchUp Text editable from within Acrobat Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2011 9:43 PM   in reply to SeanCole

Odd that I found this solution that is almost 2 years old on the exact same day as the last guy. This WAS a real pain in the butt. Thank you for taking the time to post the solution. I too was looking everywhere and this worked like a charm. For those that don't have Illustrator - I will come back and post a solution if I ever find one.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to SeanCole

SeanCole's solution didn't work for me. When in Illustrator, the characteres appear as garbled icons and cannot the switched back to any font.

Any other ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 10:19 PM   in reply to borisrio

I used to change the font quite easy in Acrobat 2006. But now, I'm using Acrobat X and I'am experiencing same problem.

Try to edit the pdf in Acrobat 2006, maybe that will work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 10:22 PM   in reply to rlynsc_043

rlynsc_043 wrote:

I used to change the font quite easy in Acrobat 2006. But now, I'm using Acrobat X and I'am experiencing same problem.

Try to edit the pdf in Acrobat 2006, maybe that will work.

What in the world do you mean by Acrobat 2006. There is no product or version with that name!

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 10:27 PM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

My mistake, what i mean is Acrobat 6

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 10:30 PM   in reply to rlynsc_043

Correction: Acrobat 6 instead of 2006

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 6:23 AM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

I had same prob unable to change font. After messing around (as you do) I found that going 'Tools' - 'Advanced Editing' - 'Touchup Text Tool' then highlight the text & delete it. Then in the empty space right click & select 'Properties' & choose the font you want to use & then re-type. This worked for me (Acrobat Prof 7). Also in 'Preferences' - 'Touchup' I had the 'Choose Page/Object Editor' set to 'Acobat Elements.exe' (path was in the Acrobat Folder). Hope this works for other people.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to (theo_std)

I was getting this error a lot with PDFs generated by the Adobe PDF printer device.

After some thought, I looked at the "Printing Preferences" for the PDF printer and noticed an option "Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts.".  Obviously that prevents embedding of fonts (which reduces file size), but also causes the fonts to be made unique, ie. "Arial+0" rather than "Arial", etc.  This prevents the editing, regardless of whether the font is installed or not.  Unchecking that option and reprinting the document solved that problem.  The TouchUp Tool worked thereafter.

Obviously that solution only applies to PDFs created from that source, but might point people in the right direction for related issues.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)