Exit

Help......Change Document Size

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2008 Nov 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to change (Illustrator)Document Size. As Old Document Size Width:400
Height:600 I would like to change Width:450 Height:650
Similar features Menu-->File-->Document setup....
TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use JavaScript

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is "read only" up to CS2 can't say beyond that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is from the CS3 JS reference

A documents color space, height, and width can only be set when the document is created. You cannot modify these properties in an existing document.

So the only way around this is to create a new document at the size you want and move everything to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you more than your help
Do not be on it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2009 Jun 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the document size! There is no need to create a new Illustrator file - this is false.

All you have to do is go to your tools > double click on the artboard icon > enter in the new size you want. You can also manually change the size by clicking on the "anchors".

By the way the artboard icon is just above the slice tool on the tool bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2009 Jun 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the UI, yes you can make these changes but this is a scripting forum and from a script you cannot change a document's size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2009 Jul 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about scripting a copy from the existing file and paste into a new document (created from a .ait of the correct size)? If your files are single layers, it shouldn't be too unmanageable to script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2010 Nov 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Al Se!

Any ideas how to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resizing the artborard(s) was added to the DOM in CS4 when you got multi-artboards… What version are you using as this is an old thread…?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer.

I use CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dawnsun! I am constantly needing to resize artwork and your tip was so helpful!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dawsun's answer is the right one! (Thanks, Dawsun )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2014 Jun 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2014 Aug 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This absolutely does NOT work, Adobe Illustrator no longer allows me to tell it what size I want my artboard to be.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled 6 times today.  IT WILL NOT let me type to change the artboard size.  I have to create a brand new adobe illustrator file setup to the size I want.  Adobe ignores these typed inputs in an already existing document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are answering a thread about Illustrator CS2 covering scripting. Those versions were quite different than today's versions.

Unless your question is about scripting an equally old version, please create a new thread and describe your issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines