Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't find Helvetica in CS4

Feb 13, 2009 12:23 PM

I'm trying to update a catalog in InDesign CS4 and it can't find the Helvetica fonts that were used in the previous versions of the catalog. Is this font not included in the program? Does it have to be purchased separately? If I can't get it for CS4 could someone recommend a similar font that is available? Thanks in advance...

Mel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 13, 2009 12:50 PM   in reply to miz_nrg
    No Adobe application products, including the Adobe Creative Suites, ship with any Helvetica fonts. InDesign specifically has never shipped with any version of Helvetica. Helvetica fonts may be licensed from Adobe and other font foundries. (Be careful, different Helvetica versions use varying font names that could require significant editing of your InDesign documents.)

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2009 1:57 PM   in reply to miz_nrg
    Melissa,

There are around 300 flavors of genuine Helvetica to choose from in Adobe's store alone. See: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/type/search.cfm?term=helvetica&category_ type=Package%2CFace&go=go

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2009 10:46 AM   in reply to miz_nrg
    Melissa,<br /><br />What car would be a good substitute for a Chevrolet? <g><br /><br />Can you tell us a little about the type of catalog this is? And what other typefaces are being used? I mean, a well-designed catalog for hospital supplies would probably look different and use a different family of fonts from one used to sell flowering plants and bulbs; or a catalog of medieval print reproductions.<br /><br />Then again, maybe no reason to give up the Chevy.<br /><br />Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2009 11:39 AM   in reply to miz_nrg
    Just because it wasn't created in InDesign doesn't mean you can't use Helvetica in InDesign. These are two completely separate questions....

T

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2009 9:28 AM   in reply to miz_nrg
    Melissa,
    >I'm not sure if now would be a good time to ask them to make any purchases

If you like Helvetica, you should have some form of it on your computer. What other sans serifs do you have? Maybe we can pick something from there.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2009 12:32 PM   in reply to miz_nrg
    Arial and Univers are both reasonably similar....

T

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2009 11:53 PM   in reply to miz_nrg
    >Arial and Univers are both reasonably similar

and much nicer than Helvetica. :)

[EDIT: I'll admit that Helvetica works very well in catalogs. ;))

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2009 7:06 AM   in reply to miz_nrg
    Melissa.

I don't think I would mix these two sans serifs. Both are very good typefaces, but (personally) I prefer the look, readability and versatility of Myriad.

Neil

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)