Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creative Suite vs. InDesign CS vs. Illustrator CS bundled fonts

Oct 19, 2003 10:36 AM

This is a complicated issue, which I hope can be clarified by this summary.

With InDesign CS by itself, there are 66 fonts, many of which are new for the CS version. Apparently these are included with the educational version as well. This includes fonts from the Adobe Jenson Pro, Lithos Pro, Myriad Pro and Trajan Pro families. See here for a complete list:

Thomas Phinney, "InDesign CS bundled OpenType fonts" #, 18 Oct 2003 12:26 am">Thomas Phinney "InDesign CS bundled OpenType fonts" 10/18/03

With Illustrator CS by itself, there are 102 fonts, about 31 of which do not overlap with the fonts bundled with InDesign CS. This includes fonts from the Chaparral Pro and Charlemagne Std families. See here for a complete list:

Thomas Phinney "Illustrator CS bundled OpenType fonts" 10/18/03

The other CS apps do not individually add meaningfully to the bundled font count.

However, with the Creative Suite as a package, there are up to 211 fonts: the 138 fonts included with the individual apps; the Warnock Pro Opticals set (32 fonts); plus if you register online in the US and Canada, you can download the Brioso Pro Opticals fonts (42 fonts). Note that Brioso is one of several choices you have of registration incentives, and you need to be sure to look for and follow the link! You can get it later from your main store registration page if you miss it the first time, though.

The standard edition and premium edition of the suite have the same font bundle.

Details on the full bundle are here:
Thomas Phinney, "211 OpenType fonts available with Creative Suite" #28, 18 Oct 2003 11:07 am">Thomas Phinney "211 OpenType fonts bundled with Creative Suite" 10/18/03 11:07am

Regards,

T

Thomas W. Phinney
Fonts Program Manager
Adobe Systems

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 19, 2003 11:36 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Sorry to keep picking at this carcass, but was there ever a clarification about Brioso Pro and the educational version of the CS suite?

(Given the existence of Type Classics for Learning, I *think* Brioso Pro is the only new one to pick up for educational discount folks like myself.)

Victor

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2003 5:09 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Your efforts are appreciated, Thomas...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2003 5:39 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    42 Brioso opticals? I'm going to shoot myself. I registered CS Premium online, didn't read the copy about the gifts closely enough. Having previously purchased the complete Brioso Pro package plus Poster Light, I thought I was eschewing redundancy by electing the magazine! Oh for the Opticals! And I think Brioso, both Roman and Italic, is Robert Slimbach's masterpiece. It preexisted in the ether somewhere as the Platonic idea of a certain Renaissance type-form, somehow already familiar when given digital substance.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2003 7:14 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Pam. Did you shoot yourself yet? I hope not. Read the thread about 212 Open Type fonts first ... at least the last 10 messages ... it is a long thread. Someone else order the mag, and reveals how to get the fonts as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2003 5:24 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Don, Thank you very much indeed for that tip. I'm delighted. Did not shoot myself--cats objected, didn't want to be put to the trouble of interviewing for another caterer.
    Again, Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2003 5:55 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    On one hand, I went there just for the free fonts. After reviewing the choices, that was still my first choice.

Adobe says "choose one." All I can say is let your conscience be your guide.

Neil
    Forum Host

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2003 7:39 AM   in reply to Neil_Keller
    > Adobe says "choose one."

Correct. But they didn't say how many times.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2003 2:40 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Well, Neil, you have the right of it. For curiosity's sake, does the gift copy stipulate the complete opticals? I suppose I just didn't read closely enough.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2003 3:04 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Pam,

According to Thomas, it's Brioso Pro Opticals fonts (42 fonts).

That's a lot of type to drop on the composing room floor!

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2003 6:58 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Yes, 42 in all and it does include the poster fonts.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2003 9:45 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Here is a rough table I put together that helps compare what fonts you get with each:

http://graphicspalmbeach.com/forum/fonts/fonts.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2003 3:57 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Okay

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2003 8:17 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Linda,

Thanks for the "cheat sheet"!

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2003 4:46 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    You're welcome.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2003 4:24 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    I did some much needed maintenance on my Web site the other night and lost the font list. It's now back up again.

Here is the link again: http://www.graphicspalmbeach.com/forum/fonts/fonts.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2003 5:29 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Mr. Phinney, have you been able to determine yet if the educational version also has the opportunity to get the Brioso fonts upon registration? Thanks for all your informative input on this & other messages.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2003 1:49 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    But where are these fonts? I installed everything on the CS disks, including the extras. I even loaded up the installer again and didn't see any new options. I have some of them, but I don't have others.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2004 11:23 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    They get installed to the Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Fonts directory.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2004 1:12 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Guy listed the path for Windows.

Or, on the Macintosh the fonts get installed to Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2004 5:54 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    My Mac version of Adobe Creative Suite only contains the Warnock Pro font set. Having been informed by Adobe (and Apple) that Postscript Type 1 fonts were no longer supported in Panther, I was hoping that the CS fonts would get me started replacing some old favorites. But they are not there. The "Classroom in a Book" series suggests doing a custom install to install just the fonts but that is not an option, at least with the CS installer. Perhaps it is with the individual programs.

Is there a way for Mac users to get some or all of these bundled fonts without buying them individually from Adobe?

Norris Siert, first time purchaser.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2004 5:58 AM   in reply to (Norris_Siert)
    For the record, both Adobe applications and MacOS X 10.3 (i.e., "Panther") fully support Type 1 fonts. We would be very interested in knowing which "experts" at Adobe and/or Apple told you otherwise. Or perhaps you misunderstood them?

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2004 6:48 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Norris,

The other Creative Suite fonts are installed in /Library/Application Support/Adobe/fonts. In that location they're available in (and in the menus of) all your CS applications.

You can move them from there to /Library/Fonts or other OS X font locations, or use your font manager to manage them.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2004 9:51 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Norris,

The remarkable thing about fonts is that virtually all mainstream font technologies from the past dozen years (PostScript Type 1, TrueType, OpenType) are STILL supported with today's operating systems, and without upgrades. What other software can make that claim?

The one major exception that comes to mind is PostScript Type 1 multiple master fonts, which were not properly supported in the earliest incarnations of Mac OS X.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2005 9:58 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    To answer a question that was intersperesed in there a few times, the free Brioso gift is available to education users.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2005 12:59 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    I have recently bought Adobe Creative Edition education so how do i find brioso pro font.

Lyle Rossiter

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2005 5:24 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    It's an option to download when you register your copy of the Creative Suite.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2005 11:10 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    It's an option to download Brioso if you purchase your CS software in the USA. The option is (or at least, was) available at the end of the online registration process.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2005 6:44 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    If you didn't download the Brioso font when you registered, is there a way to still get it? (Our tech guys set up CS on our machines, and apparently didn't download these.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2005 8:10 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Kelli,

Call Adobe customer service and ask.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2005 1:48 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Called Adobe. Talked to two nice guys. First guy wasn't sure, but kept asking around after he sent me to someone else. That guy told me to just re-register our CS. I did that, and got my new font! There are also a few other goodies to pick from, but we went with the new font.

Thanks for the help!

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2005 3:29 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Cool. Thanks for getting back to us.

Don

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2005 6:42 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Kelli,

Glad it worked for you! I was actually going to suggest re-registering the software, but I didn't know if that was an Adobe-approved action. (We hosts gotta be careful what we suggest or we get our knuckles smacked.)

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2005 6:43 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Kelli,

Glad it worked for you! I was actually going to suggest re-registering the software, but I didn't know if that was an Adobe-approved action. (We hosts gotta be careful what we suggest or we get our knuckles rapped.)

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2005 9:09 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Neil:

Unfortunately the Re-registering trick doesn't always work it didn't for me.

However, thanks to Thomas and David Lemon, I believe that we may have FINALLY got the missing incentives problem sorted out.

Adobe are supposedly going to ship me the font on a CD today.

Let's hope

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2007 12:50 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    I would like to compare the font list posted by LRK to what I have now on my workstation, but I'm unable to get to the web site. Could that be posted again, please?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2007 1:27 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Donna,

Be aware that you've added to a two-year-old post, so Linda's link may no longer exist.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)