• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still no supervision in the French and Spanish forums?

LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2005 Aug 06, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot that threads are extremely short lived in this forum, and the discussion that really began within an unrelated thread, here

Pierre Courtejoie, "Shouldn't these links be removed as soon as possible?" #8, 27 Feb 2005 1:21 pm

has already gone to the Archives, where it is in danger of going to the limbus in the near future.

I still think that this is an important issue, and still wait to see any improvement in those forums showing that the messages by Pierre and myself on the subject have not fallen in a void. Although we both value and thank Neil Keller for his attempts to get some reaction in higher quarters, his attempts have unfortunately been a failure.

It is pathetic to see pages in the forums in Spanish with templates that are written in a mixture of English and a very bad Spanish. It is even more pathetic that JC stopped more than a year ago feeling authorized to introduce any non trivial change to improve this situation. The worst part is however to feel that there is no one listening, or at least willing to admit that there might be problems in those forums.

I feel very disappointed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 460 Replies 460
Guide ,
Aug 06, 2005 Aug 06, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2005 Aug 07, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ramon for keeping this issue alive.
I tried to contact one of the persons listed on the French site of Adobe, and sadly received no answer.

Personnally, I find this sad as a good and active user to user forum could be a nice incentive for somebody to buy a program that he does not know: having a lot of knowledgeable users that are willing to help you learn an application is a big plus.

I don't understand how it comes that the second largest software manufacturer is letting some inexpensive advertizement unnatended.
If the forum was monitored, had moderators, a lot of active members, I'm sure that the specialized press would talk about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2005 Aug 08, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree with the above statements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2005 Aug 09, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^ "unattended"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2005 Aug 15, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to know what part of Adobe in europe controls those fora? Is it the Netherlands, France, UK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 15, 2005 Aug 15, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the name of the country in The Mouse That Roared? That must be the one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2005 Aug 17, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to google that one, but guess that it is a joke.

From another thread, OZpeter said:
> "Different kettle of fish, Claudio - one is (I think) a matter of changing the software, assuming that can be done and that there is a budget for it. The other is a matter of policy and management and human resourcing - or so it would seem to me - possibly therefore more complex in reality. "

Human Resourcing? for volunteers? I'm sure that two posters in this thread would volunteer... ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2005 Aug 17, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramon - it may have been the Right Royal Duchy of Ruritania

Pretty good movie - Peter Sellers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 18, 2005 Aug 18, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pierre,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053084/

Deebs,

Actually, it was the Duchy of Grand Fenwick.

Yes, Peter Sellers playing a bunch of different roles, including that of Grand Duchess Gloriana XII.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 18, 2005 Aug 18, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ruritania showed up in "The Prisoner of Zenda", according to Google.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2005 Aug 19, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Pierre,

It has been implied several times in these forums that it would seem that I am postulating for host/moderator in the Spanish forums. I have also posted several times that I am not. What I have volunteered for is for clening up and making more operational that forum, and in fact managed to do some decent work on that line during the first months of 2004, before the takeover by the undisclosed European Adobe branch in middle 2004. Just before the takeover, I had sent JC a proposal for a new, less clutered and more functional entry page, which even included a link to instructions for newcomers, but this doesn't seem to have been considered. At least, I have no evidence that it has even been read after all these more than twelve months.

Yes, the matter does seem to be a little more complex than a small change in the software to which Ozpeter was refering in that other thread. Maybe Ramón is right, and the French, German and Spanish forums are now in charge of the Right Royal Duchy of Ruritania branch ... Although, on second thoughts, a lot of things happened there, and nothing happens in these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2005 Aug 19, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for puting words in your mouth.

Adobe.Rt? for ruritania ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2005 Aug 29, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

Not that I've forgotten about this or our earlier discussions. But I know that JC has been somewhat exasperated about this situation too.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2005 Aug 29, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

Well, no wonder he is also exasperated: his hands are tied. And thanks for remembering; pity that there seems to be no one with the power to act listening.

I most certainly don't like to act as a forum cop, but someone has to do it while the forums in Spanish have no hosts/moderators. And, just in case, I'll repeat here what I have said several times in several of these forums: I'm not postulating to become a host/moderator, and have no intention of becoming one. I am although willing to collaborate in the planning and implementation of a better designed and more functional site in Spanish.

Claudio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2005 Aug 30, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to say something very important yesterday. The last sentence of my message, ending in "...a more functional site in Spanish.", should read "...a more functional site in Spanish, written fully and correctly in Spanish."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2005 Sep 16, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have said several times, I have absolutely no desire to act as a forum cop in the Forums in Spanish, but someone has to do it. Yesterday I had to waste a lot of time to stop one of those dog fights that sometimes take place when two quick-tempered persons frequent the same forum. It wasn't pleasant, and I don't know how many more times I will do it, if I do it again. I was on the verge of asking for the thread to be made read only, but realized in time that one of the fighters was so mad that he would have then just opened a new one to continue with his battle. Which, by that time that I managed to put off the fire, had gotten very one sided.

The problem is neither new nor unknown to Adobe, so I find it sad that the level of those forums has to depend on the self regulating powers of their users. I, for one, do not wish to see them decay into another Lounge, but in Spanish, and resent having to assume a responsibility for which I have not volunteered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 16, 2005 Sep 16, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I, for one, do not wish to see them decay into another Lounge

hmm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2005 Sep 17, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, and all others who may object the phrase you quote,

I apologize for my careless generalization, although I would hope that anyone who knows me through the forums, as well as anyone who has followed in this forum discussions about things happening in the Lounge, would understand what I was trying to say, and didn't for the sake of brevity. For the rest, let me make it perfectly clear that I was specifically refering to the dog fights occurring in some threads of the Lounge, ending in people banned temporarily or definitively, in threads made read only, and even in eliminated threads. Although I don't visit the Lounge regularly, I do know that there are there many very interesting, useful, amusing, and even perfectly neutral topics there, which were not in my mind when I wrote what I wrote.

It would be a pity if the focus of this discussion was changed by this blunder of mine. Or if yours is the only comment my last message deserves. I already feel very discouraged and unwilling to continue with what seems to be my lonely campaign to improve the forums in Spanish, which in all these months has received nothing but the moral support of a handful of participants.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio, I'm not a Spanish speaker, but on principle I am very glad you keep trying to get those forums moderated. Spanish and French speakers (and quite possibly speakers of other languages) should have this facility, properly administered.

And I'm glad you pointed out the Lounge isn't all bad ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath, thanks for your symphaty. My clarification was mere justice. I go to the Lounge every now and then, for cultural rasons, so I know the complains here do not reflect what happens in most of the threads there. As a scientist, I do not like generalizations, precisely because they may be grossly unjust, as in this case.

I wish that some of the persons who have the power to make things move in these forums would be a tenth as symphatetic as you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio, I tried to contact the POC for Adobe France. No answer. The POC for Adobe Belgium is the same.

If only we knew who is in charge of those forum, the national sites, or UK/Netherlands (would be strange as there is no dutch forum...)

The german forum seems to have more organization. Don't know if they have hosts/moderators.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pierre, I very much doubt that the two of us can achieve any more than Neil Keller has. He has said more than once that he has contacted and informed people who should take care of these matters, but all he has got is the same than you have: no answer.

I find peculiar the secrecy sorrounding those in charge of the forums in our two languages. I can think of no rational reason for this secrecy, excepting pehaphs that maybe they most definitely do not want to be identified, or contacted in any way. Let's leave it at the Grand Duchy of Fenwick, as Ramón suggested (and not Ruritania, as I wrongly quoted). Although I tend to see more rationality in the actions of the people of Fenwick that here; at least they did things.

As to the German forum, I don't know who is in charge, but just a glance at its main page makes it obvious that they are luckier than us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Germans are organised? Now there's a surprise ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>The Germans are organised? Now there's a surprise

Have you ever tried to get a lounger by the pool after 7am? :D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines