The fix posted by Shigeru Go above [5:49pm Mar 2, 08 PST (#22 of 38)] worked for me as well.
Just in case it helps others, I'll mention a few more things about my install:
-I am running Vista Home Premium 64-bit, and Adobe CS3 Standard.
-I installed and updated CS3 BEFORE installing any physical printers on my PC. [week of 10-13-08, in case that is relevant]
-During the install there was one error with a file not found, I hit cancel and the installation completed. Sorry I didn't write down the file name but I did find a webpage that recommended I cancel and continue the install.
-Later in the week I attached a Laser Printer and installed the HP universal printer drivers.
-Then I found this fix posted above and tried it. Success the first time.
Can't think of anything else that might be relevant.
Has this been fixed in CS4? This issue has really affected my workflow in a negative way. I have spent several hours working on this and I still can't print to Adobe PDF in Vista 64. Now the 8.1.2 installer launches everytime I try to start Acrobat and I have to end the task. This is the only issue I have had upgrading to Vista 64.
I did follow Michael Jantzen's method 10 days ago. In fact I did it twice. In the end it continues to say that the patch does not apply to my system.
I gave up and haven't touched it again until today when I needed to print check detail to Adobe PDF to email and it locked up. Then I tried to launch Acrobat and it said it was installing 8.1.2. That locked up too and I rebooted and tried again. Same result.
Then I ran Bueford Tannon's fix - 7:55am Mar 31, 08 PST (#45 of 55) From this Adobe Forum Thread. http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?7@@.3bc34e46/45
SubInAcl has been running for over two hours now and I have no idea if this is going to fix the problem. This is a tremendous amount of effort to fix something that apparently can be accomplished with a $9.95 download.
SubinACL crashed, so per your post I downloaded the Adobe Acrobat 3D 8.1.2 Security Update 1 - multiple languages and applied it. http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3975
Then I removed the Adobe PDF Printer and then removed the INFCACHE.1 from the Windows INF folder per this previous post in this thread. Shigeru Go - 5:49pm Mar 2, 08 PST (#22 of 42)
I ran the repair from Acrobat 8.1.2 and walla it works. It only took me seven hours today. It too less than 30 seconds to email the PDF after I got it fixed. That's very disappointing considering the price I pay to stay current with Adobe products.
Acrobat Problem with Vista X64 OLE calls - CreateObject("AcroExch.AVDoc") does NOT open its window in the CreateObject("AcroExch.App") - but opens a new (invisible) window. Works correctly in XP x64 and 32 bit Vista - happens with Acrobat v8 and v9.
You may want to post this information on the Acrobat SDK forum as it appears that is where you are really having an issue. There are developers who may have tips and hints that may help you on that forum.
On two machines, both running Vista 64, The update from Acrobat 8.1.2 to 8.1.3 ends with a message that the installation failed. I have tried it a number of times and get the same message every time on both machines.