• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how can i hide navigation panel buttons

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2007 Oct 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i would like to know how can i remove or hide programatically the navigation panel buttons because i have an applicattion where i open the pdf documents and i don´t want this buttons are shown never.i want that, when the application is open, the buttons don´t be shown. i´m refering to the button on the left of Adobe Reader 8: the botton are "pages", "how to","atachments", and "comments". thanks a lot for your help
susana
TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 130 Replies 130
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2007 Oct 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no public APIs to enable what you wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2007 Dec 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove the navigation panel buttons, they are ANNOYING and use valuable screen space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2007 Dec 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU, as an end user, can do it manually by right-clicking on the panel and choosing to hide them.

Leonard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leonard, we did not ask you how to hide idiotic sidebar on per-session basis, we ask Adobe to STOP force-feeding this brown pile of sheet into our mouth.  In plain English, there must be a way to perma-hide this pest as it was in Acrobat prior to ver 9.

Do you udnerstand or not?

We're fed up with your sidebar, and the more you insist in feeding us your nonsense, the more reason to hack and kill it programmatically.  We hhave the abuilioty, don't let this happen, though, do it yourself.

Add an option to hide idiotic sidebar.  Don't become Apple#2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2013 Nov 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a fair idea. I have been working with embedding 3d PDF's in html latley. I would like to remove all tools and options to just allow a user to move the 3d object and that is all. I would like to remove all options and the ability to right click. It is not a question of why, but how. There are many ways to embedc 3d ojects but adobe pdf is the fastest and most available plugin there is, the 3d pdf displays much faster than any other plugin i have tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2007 Dec 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EVERY time I open a document? And then the toolbar? Sheesh... I have a strong suspicion that reader's interface is designed by a sadistic idiot, I can vividly imagine him mumbling "now if we add even more useless and annoying crap will they lump it?"

I stick with reader 7, and that's my advice to everyone. It's got plenty of interface rubbish too but not even closely as annoying as 8 and a bit better than 6 (oh that monumental search pain ...eh pane). And it doesn't require drastic measures to disable the bothersome and buggy autoupdate either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2008 May 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION for hiding navigation panel in Adobe:
(I wrote the title out explicitly for google indexing purposes and so others do not have to suffer like I have and don't get irrelevant and stupid responses like Leonard Rosenthol's when they try to google the answer to this frustrating problem - he would make a great Microsoft employee, as would be the designers of this particular feature of Adobe Professional.)

1. When the navigation panel is opened, left-click and drag each individual icon to the right so that you pull it off the navigation panel and they each become bigger floating pop-up windows.

2. Now continue doing this for all icons until the navigation panel is entirely gray.

3. Click on the "X" in the upper right hand side until you close all those pop-up windows.

4. Right click on the navigation panel gray area and click "hide".

5. Now that navigation panel will be gone whenever you open up Adobe.

This was very frustrating, but I finally fixed it after much tinkering. I must say that Leonard Rosenthol's response was stupid, irrelevant and it angered me greatly. 😠
Hope this helps!

- Kev

For google purposes:
- solution for hiding navigation panel in Adobe
- hiding navigation panel permanently
- permanently hiding navigation panel buttons
- annoying navigation panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this workaround has absolutely no bearing when you open the PDF files in the web browser. All of the Navigation panel buttons come back in their full glory.
:(

Sabian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 08, 2008 May 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Unfortunately this workaround has absolutely no bearing when you open the PDF files in the web browser. All of the Navigation panel buttons come back in their full glory.

Well then you can just use the PDF Open Parameters.

Examples:

http://www.example.com/Test.pdf#toolbar=0&navpanes=0&scrollbar=0

<embed src="Test.pdf#toolbar=0&navpanes=0&scrollbar=0">

Of course if you're so concerned about screen space, the menus and toolbars take up much more space than the (rather useful) navigation pane, so why not just set the PDF to open in fullscreen mode? Maximum screen space achieved.

Wanna go all out and have it permanently disabled on your system? Edit the .pdf file association in your registry to launch

Acrobat.exe /A "navpanes=0" %1

instead of

Acrobat.exe %1

And your navigation panes will be off for all your PDFs.

Mac OS X you say? Create an alias with the same name as the Acrobat launcher that launches it with -A"navpanes=0" since aliases are processed before searching the path on OS X. Same deal for AcroRead on *ix, since we all know Mac OS X is just BSD with a skin anyways.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/pdf_open_parameters.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2009 May 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Via the registry, I edited all references to AcroRd32.exe /u "%1" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" /A "navpanes=0" "%1".

When I open a PDF via phsyically clicking a PDF, it opens w/ NO NAV PANEL .. and the same if I call it from the command prompt..

HOWEVER, if I attempt to open a PDF through a web browser, the NAV PANEL is no longer hidden.

NOTE, that I have disabled browser integration, so all PDF's open in their own window.

Any suggestions?

Windows XP, btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you want to hide the navigation panel? There is extremely useful information and tools in there...

But the general answer is that there is no way to do this since we never considered a use case for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because we need to "lock down" a pc in to a virtual kiosk and the features

in the nav panel actually grant user more access to system components than

we can allow.

We have a tool that allows me to lock down file menu features as well as

the HideItems.js  script, but the nav panel has proven to be a hole in to

the OS..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Full Screen mode isn't an option in your situation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I just looked in to that.. and unfortunately I don't think that is a viable solution.   Our Helpdesk would be inundated w/ calls stating they can't "exit out" to their Point of Sale application despite the simplicity of hitting the ESC key... althought I like the idea and appreciate the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm up for giving it a try...

Just need to research how to do that programmatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can just set the "Initial View" on your PDFs as Full Screen - that way every time they open, they automatically put Acrobat into Full Screen mode.  Go to File > Properties and choose the Initial View tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reports are mass generated via an AS400 process and converted to PDF using AS400 RJS Report splitter.. I am unaware of any settings to set this option as the reports are "split" into PDF format.  Additionally, we have a CMS system that converts various document types to PDF via JAWS, which I believe does not have a way to programatically set PDF docs to open in full screen... I need the client to be able to handle this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How come if I hide the panel 1x, it remains closed on subsequent launching of PDFs?  There has got to be some setting for this function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2009 Sep 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have an issue to do with the navigation panel as well.  Our document properties are set for the Initial View to be bookmark panel and page.  If we click off the document and return to it, it opens up with Page panel and page.  Is there anyway to force the program to recognize the document properties?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those properties, as their name implies are ONLY for "Initial View" -

meaning only when the document opens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your kidding, right?  Why even have a setting that works once.  In all past versions, this setting has worked consistently when going back and forth between two documents.  Only in this latest version does it loose focus and change to Page Panel and Page view when returning to the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The panels don't change when you switch documents - they never have - since Acrobat 2 when we first implemented the options for showing the various panels.

If you believe that something has changed, if you could post a step by step set of procedures to duplicate it - or even better, record your screen doing it.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 1 - Create manual in Word 2007 then create a PDF.

Set initial view in document as Bookmarks Panel and Page

Create interactive manual using Adobe Acrobat 9.0

Create links in manual to the glossary document

Step 2 - Create glossary document in Word 2007 then create PDF.

Step 3 - Open manual.pdf in Acrobat Reader 9.0

Step 4 -  Click on word in manual that will open glossary.pdf document for definition.

Step 5 - Click on "Click to return to the previous page view" to return to the manual.pdf.

Step 6 - When manual.pdf document returns to your screen, you now have the Pages Panel open instead of the Bookmark Panel.

If you stay within Adobe Acrobat Pro you have no problem.  But the document is delivered to a client who only has the Reader 9.0.  This is a feature that has worked in all previous versions of Reader.

I can even send you the two document to open in the Reader environment to see what I am talking  about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines