Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe PDF Printer Missing Fix - Adobe Acrobat 8.1 - Vista

Jul 24, 2007 5:29 PM

Adobe PDF Printer Missing Fix - Adobe Acrobat 8.1 - Vista

1. Type "C:\Windows\inf" into the search box on the start menu.
2. Locate the INFCACHE.1 file and right-click it and select Properties.
3. On the INFCACHE.1 Properties window tab to the "Security" tab and click the "Edit" button to change permissions on this file.
4. On the Permissions for INFCACHE.1 window click the "Add" button.
5. On the Select Users or Groups window click the "Advanced" button.
6. A new Select Users or Groups window will open and then click the "Find Now" button.
7. The search results are sorted alphabetically; locate the username you logon to Windows with and then double-click.
8. Under the "Enter the objects names to select..." you should see something like this YOURCOMPUTERNAME\Yourusername
9. Now click the OK button.
10. You will now return to the Permissions for INFCACHE.1 window.
11. Under the Permissions for Yourusername you need to tick "Full Control" under the Allow column. Click the "Apply" button and then the "OK" button.
12. You will be prompted with a "Windows Security" window, just click the "Yes" button and continue.
13. Delete the INFCACHE.1 file.
14. Restart your computer.
15. Open Adobe Acrobat 8.1
16. Locate the Help menu item and click Repair Acrobat Installation
17. Restart if requested to do so.

This fix worked on Windows Vista Business Edition (32-Bit).

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2007 4:00 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    I assume this post was to answer to this very frustrating situation: "PDFMaker cannot locate the Adobe PDF Printers printer driver." I have reinstalled Adobe Acrobat 8.1 Professional numerous times. I have Vista (64 bit).

So I tried this procedure. However, I couldn't get past step 13 "Delete the INFCACHE.1 file." Vista won't let me delete the file. I supposedly don't have permission but I am the only user and am the administrator. That step seemed weird anyway. Why would we reconfigure that file and then delete it?

Since I couldn't delete INFCACHE.1, I just went ahead with restarting the computer, then reinstalling Adobe Acrobat. It's a long process and it didn't make any difference. So the principal reason to have Adobe Acrobat Professional is voided. Can anyone offer more help? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2007 5:37 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    It worked. Your instructions were excellent. It was my mistake: missing the reason for modifying the permissions for INFCACHE.1 was simply to be able to delete it. Thanks so much.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2007 9:48 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    There's an inf file you could add the printer with inside C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF - why not use that instead?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2007 3:23 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    good man, thank you for this fix - works fine. Have a good day.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2007 7:39 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Hi,

I get a similar message, and am using Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0 on Windows Vista Home Edition. The exact error message is:

PDFMaker cannot locate the Adobe PDF Printer's printer drivers. Please re-install Adobe Acrobat 6.0.

My PC already comes pre-installed with Adobe Reader 8.0.

I assume this is not causing a conflict.

Will the same instructions you have given above solve this problem too?

Thank you very much.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2007 5:19 PM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    I have tried this procedure but still no pdf printer. In fact now I don't have a infcache.1 file to delete
    here the story
    I installed CS3 with Acrobat 8 pro but not printer I ran reinstall/repair but it does not touch Ac Pro 8 as it says its already installed. I uninstalled CS3 (tictoctictoc) eventually uninstalled everything except Ac Pro 8 but it is unusable, as it requires CS3 Apps (normal - so the setup knows its part of CS3 but won't uninstall it) I reinstall CS3 but it says Ac pro 8 is already installed. I can't try the above procedure again as now I don't have a infcache.1 file to delete.
    Ac Pro 8 is obviously corrupt but there appears to be no way of uninstalling via control panel setup from dvd.
    How can I uninstall Ac Pro 8 and restart it all again.
    Frustating...it is all working fine on my XP notebook.

aaaargh VISTA more like BLISTER or some other infection

TIA

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2007 12:15 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Thanks for the reply
    I tried it and thought I was getting somewhere, it cleaned it up all ok and when I went to reinstall CS3 the install said it was going to install Ac 8 Pro and I thought yep its going to be ok.........after the hour or so reinstalling, everything else installed ok but with an error for ac8 pro "install failed"
    still no pdf printer.........

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2007 9:05 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Hi,
    I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits, and getting this error on Acrobat Prof 8.1:
    "Unable to start print job. Is printer available?
    I tried Gnavicks's fix with the INFCACHE.1, but still I am not able to print with Acrobat. I have Foxit Reader 2.0 which prints the .pdf files with not problem, except for complicated form filler pdf files.
    Obviously there must be something corrupted with Acrobat, I have re-installed a couple of time, but to no aval.
    Is there anything else around I could try to make it work?
    Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2008 9:49 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    I installed Adobe Acrobat 6 Professional on Windows Vista Home Premium system and it does not work...i have done research and apparently this version of adobe is not compatible with vista. Now I am encountering problems with opening Excel, get an error message saying Auto Exec New & Dist Mon...i moved the file from XLSTARTUP to my docs but still encounter problem. I have also deleted the adobe 6 version from the adobe folder since it does not load and it doesn't show under uninstalling programs. Any suggestions how to either make adobe 6 work on vista operating system or getting rid of the error message when opening excel? Thank you so much

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2008 8:56 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    I am speechless... I have been corersponding with the Adobe support group for 2 1/2 months and they have been unable to help me - and this worked!!!! THANK YOU

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2008 12:27 PM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Hi Gnavicks,

I am having the same problem on my Vista Ultimate 64bits, I tried your fix above but it did not work for me. Do you have any other suggestion for me to try?

I know this is an Adobe Acrobat problem because I have been able to use the Foxit Reader to print PDF files with not problems.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2008 6:28 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Ed, this solution is for issues creating PDF files not printing PDF files.

You may have a different issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2008 6:50 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Hi de Siem,

Yes you are right, my problem is not been able to print from Acrobat 8.1 under Vista 64 bits.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2008 6:34 PM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Thanks a lot man it worked out for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2008 3:12 PM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Hi
    I have a simular problem, the printer is locatet but vista tells me all the time that acrobat distiller has stopped working.
    If i try to make a pdf file from a program ex. excel it stop making it after a short while, adn nothing happend except for the message acrobat distiller has stopped working.
    I have Vista with service pack 1, and adobe acrobat 8 proff.
    I have tried your sollution if the pdf printer doesnt appear
    Hope you can help me....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2008 7:24 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    >acrobat 8

You need to update (in order) to 8.1.2

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform= Windows

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2008 1:50 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Hi John

Thanks for the answer, i have a problem with the link on adobes site,the page is unavailable.
    Do you know any other places where the updates are? When you write in order, do you then mean 8.1 first then 8.1.1 and so on?
    BG Jan

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2008 7:08 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Hi again
    I found the updates and have updated to 8.1.2, same thing happens, i tried to change the inf file as described, but i still have the same problem. I do not have the vista business, but the home premium.
    Do you have any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2008 3:50 PM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    I have 32-bit Vista Ultimate and Acrobat 8.1.2 - no PDF printer. The method described in this thread did not work for me. But here's what did work.

* Open Control Panel, select Printers
    * Click Add a Printer
    * Click Add a local printer
    * Select Use an existing port (should be preselected), change the port to "Desktop \*.pdf (Adobe PDF Port), click Next
    * On the next page, click Have Disk...
    * Click Browse and browse to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF (or wherever you have Acrobat installed), click OK.
    * It should now show a series of "Adobe PDF Converter" entries. Select the first one and click Next
    * Change the printer name if desired, uncheck the box to use it as a default printer, click Next
    * Do not print a test page, click Finish
    * Find your new printer in Printers. Right click on it and select Properties, Advanced
    * Click "Print directly to the printer", click OK

You're in business.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2008 7:11 PM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    I tried everything and used everyone's advice.

For me the problem has been that when it was send to the printer, it get stuck at spool. I changed the the pdf printer to

Find your new printer in Printers. Right click on it and select Properties, Advanced
    Click "Print directly to the printer", click OK

per Steve's advice and it works now.
    Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2008 8:57 PM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    I have windows XP media center. I uninstalled Acrobat 8 to download Acr 9 pro extended. No adobe printer was installed .
    Tried the steps given here by Steve Lionel. I was able to add the "Adobe PDF Converter" as printer. Although after the 7th step in Steve's fix, the wizard asked me to search for some files (from XP CDrom) which I was able to locate in the Windows folder-drivers folder and the system32-spool folder.
    I went to acrobat,opened a pdf file and tried to print with this printer and saved it on the desktop. A file appears, but adobe cannot open it however it activates adobe illustrator and opens in that program.
    Lots of time has gone. No solution yet.
    Appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks

Update!!!
    I tried printing on this printer from a webpage and it converted the webpage like charm.
    I am more than happy even if I get to use this printer to convert webpages to pdf as now I don't have to install those shady pdf converters and printer drivers.
    This is good as the fix given here works even for XP.
    Thanks for this wonderful solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2008 2:13 PM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    The original fix described in this thread by Gnavicks - 06:29pm Jul 24, 2007 Pacific seems to work for Windows Vista Home Premium Edition - 64 bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2008 12:54 PM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    I have the problem too. I am running 32 bit Vista Home. I'm running MS Office 2000. My copy of Acrobat came with CS3 and has auto-updated and now says it's at Acrobat Pro v8.1.3. Shortly after I click the button to convert a .doc to a .pdf, I get a message stating "Acrobat Distiller has stopped working." It happens with every .doc file I've tried.

I tried deleting the Adobe PDF printers and then adding a new one. It didn't help.

I converted one .doc file on the Adobe web site, but I'd like to be able to convert files on my own machine.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2008 8:02 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Worked like a charm for me.

Changed permissions. Deleted INFCACHE.

Restarted.

Ran adobe repair mode.

Restarted.

Adobe PDF Printer was in the printer list now and can successfully convert word documents.

Using Vista Home 32-bit.

I used this to fix as part of my way of fixing the Missing PDFMaker files error.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2008 12:44 PM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    No joy for me. It still doesn't work!

Is anyone from Adobe reading this?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2008 4:30 PM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Thank you very much for this fix, it worked for me on Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional with Windows Vista Ultimate

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2008 4:57 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    I spent several days uninstalling and re-installing the Adobe 8 b/c the PDF printer didn't work. I tried the fixes listed on the Adobe forums to no avail. After much searching I found a freeware install that converts to PDF. You can find the Bullware at http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php

This was the only thing that worked for me, but I'm up and running fine now.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2008 10:25 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    I am having this problem with windows XP pro and adobe pro 8.1. PDF printer driver is missing. I have tried to install and uninstall many times with no luck. I am also having this problem with standard 8.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2008 11:04 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Marjorie,

See my previous message for freeware that I found to be a good workaround. It's not perfect b/c it doesn't fix the Adobe printer, but I've used the Bullzip printer to convert several times with no problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2008 5:44 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    ConnollA,
    Thanks very much for pointing me/us at the freeware Bullzip printer. I installed it and things work pretty well. My initial impression is that the colors on images in my converted files are not very true to the way they started out. I need to look at that more closely to verify this. But at least I can convert documents now.

I'm kind of annoyed that this seems to be a problem affecting a number of people buying some pretty pricey software and Adobe doesn't seem to be taking any interest in the issue.

Thanks again for the workaround,
    David

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2008 6:13 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Hi, David.

I'm glad that it worked for you. I agree that the Bullzip is only a workaround. It doesn't work perfectly, but at least I can convert with it.

I joined another forum about a month ago to try and work out another problem and I agree that Adobe isn't really taking an interest in the problems w/ version 8. What I found out from that forum is that they aren't going to focus on fixes for verion 8 b/c version 9 has already been released and they want us to buy that upgrade.

If you find an actual fix for the adobe printer please let me know.

Good luck,
    Amy

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2008 7:47 AM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Version 9 didn't help me. I uninstalled 8 and installed the 9 trial. I was hoping to fix it and then uninstall 9 and go back to 8. No go on fixing the problem in 9.

Ron

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2008 3:54 PM   in reply to (Gnavicks)
    Hi everybody, Sweden calling (from France)
    I'm running Vista Business, SP1. Have been forced (by Adobes update system) to update directly from 8.1 to 8.1.3 three weeks ago. Lost Adobe PDF-printer because of that update. Struggled -this forum's suggestion tested, 13 solutions tested without success in www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=333221, deleted the file INFCACHE.1 etcetera.
    UNTIL this hint came from Adobe Technical support three weeks later: Disable User Account Control! - see www.adobe.com/go/kb404888.
    This solved my (rather Adobe's) problem. Step by step: I started from 8.0 which was re-installed from the CD, then disabled UAC, tried convert a word file to PDF - it worked!!. Enabled UAC. Updated to 8.1, then to 8.1.1, 8.1.2, 8.1.2 SU and finally to 8.1.3.
    Am now back in business - three weeks of hard work later.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)