• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What does getplus(R)_ocx do?

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2007 Dec 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed Reader 8.1 and getplus(R)_ocx has appeared in my "Add or Remove Programs" list with and Adobe icon.

What does this do?

I cannot not find any reference to it on this site. Should I be worried?

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader Forum is Here
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?13@@.3bbf42f7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

Your reply was very terse. Having tried to fathom out what it was, I now realise that it was "Acrobat Reader Forum is Here
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?13@@.3bbf42f7 "

This just merges in with the other text on the message board.

A helpful "Please post your message..." would have been much more useful.

Please do not reply to this unless you can be bothered to construct sentences.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You asked about Reader in the full product forum

I provided a link to the Reader forum

I guess I could have added "You are not reading the Forum name properly"

Oh well... hope you find an answer in the correct Forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2008 Jan 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to download/install Adobe Reader 8 (up to four times)I got the message during the process: 'cannot retrieve essential parameter 12250.305.770'. The download/installation has not succeeded i.e. stops at 93% and I am not able to read any .pdf documents. (the former version Adobe reader has initially been deleted from program files). What could be the problem?
Hoping for answer solving the problem

Per

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2008 Jan 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Trying to download/install Adobe Reader 8

This is for FULL Acrobat - the Reader Forum is Here
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?13@@.3bbf42f7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2008 Feb 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to Download Adobe reader to my computer for PDF file, I have no luck. Why? I may never use the PDF file again.
Adobe wants me to pay $150.00 for the software.
I don't think is fair from Adobe to treat people like that.
Joe Urban

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Adobe wants me to pay $150.00 for the software.

Interesting. I think you've ended up with the wrong software, or at
the wrong place, or even on a non-Adobe site which is trying to get
the money.

If you are on a web page, please let us know the address (the thing
starting http in your browser), and copy/paste it.

If you are getting a message somewhere else about the $150, please let
us know what it says.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Adobe wants me to pay $150.00 for the software.

Where are you getting it from?

I don't believe that Adobe has ANY software that it charges $15.00 for. Reader is free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2008 May 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of what forum is proper for playing with rubber ducks and other items like the price of tea in china and how it has to do with world economics:

The most PROPER response by John T Smith OUGHT to have been:

"This is what GETPLUS is (Followed by a PRECISE explanation of WHAT IT IS, since IT IS ALSO PART OF FULL ACROBAT) - And This is the importance of it (Followed by an ANSWER to MarkCollingwood's ORIGINAL post, ie: CAN I DELETE THIS)

Of course MarkCollingwood was IMPROPERLY redirected to a "GNDN" location. Does Jon T Smith KNOW what GNDN means? He should as all of his posts here have the qualities: GOES NOWHERE, DOES NOTHING.

Now, MarkCollingwood: I'll give you an answer RIGHT NOW: GETPLUS is a piece of BLOAT that Adobe adds to their products that is also "GNDN" - In Other Words, it is NOT Necessary.

It allows Acrobat and Acrobat Reader and other Adobe Bloatware to automatically download installation packages that we OUGHT to be able to download straight to our desktops instead of going through GETPLUS.

GetPlus = DELETE IT.

To totally get rid of it, open a COMMAND window in c:\Windows and CD up to "\Downloaded Program Files"

Do a DIR and find the file GP.INF - Open it and find LOCATION of GP.OCX.

Then DELETE GP.INF and find GP.OCX in the c:\Windows\System area of files and delete THAT as well.

When you are done open REGEDIT and locate any references to GP.INF or GP.OCX and delete THOSE as well.

Finally, I would ask Adobe to, rather than add BLOAT to their programs (which we are forced to use) - GIVE US a direct link TO THE INSTALLER FILE, and let us choose when how and where we WISH to install our Abobe BLOAT products.

Thank you.

PS:

"Where are you getting it from?

I don't believe that Adobe has ANY software that it charges $15.00 for. Reader is free."

Yes, but Real ACROBAT costs at least $150. ACROBAT (The software to MAKE Acrobat PDF files), Not ACROBAT READER (The software to READ Adobe Acrobat PDF Files).

Big Diff: Free vs $150. Or More.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2008 May 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no Acrobat Reader anymore. Hasn't been for a long while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2008 Jun 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johnny V

Your response was very helpful - thank you. I just googled this for the same reason as Mark and your answer was exctly what I needed. Great. Why aren't all things this easy to solve!

Jenny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2008 Jun 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JonnyV for actually being helpful. Evidently these 1st responders may be just low-level marketing flaks employed by Adobe. Doing more harm than good. Hey, get that "important" point that the program has been rebranded from Acrobat Reader to Adobe Reader. Gee if I didn't know that the software might not work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2008 Jul 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JonnyV, a five-star post. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2008 Jul 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is wrong with Windows Installer 4.5.

Oh yes! It doesn't run on Mac and Unix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2008 Sep 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loved JonnyV's reply--very helpful except I don't understand some of those steps...? <br /><To totally get rid of it, open a COMMAND window in c:\Windows and CD up to "\Downloaded Program Files" ><br />Sorry so dense but could someone explain this to me? I thought CD was "change directory" but does command window mean a "command prompt?" Where do I go from there? I also thought dir was short for directory...sorry I am somewhat of a newbie, so any further instructions would be gratefully accepted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2008 Oct 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.. I just got a request to download getPlus.. By spybot search and destroy. Thanks for the forum. I found out not to download it. I appreciate your being here.
Jet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2008 Oct 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, JonnyV. I can see you are an old-time hacker (in the pure, original meaning of the word) and we all appeciate your short, to-the-point, helpful reply. The people giving Mr. Collingwood so much grief should go find another job. I HATE programs that get installed without my knowledge and attempt to take over my computer. I will track down GetPlus and flush it, and if that means getting rid of Acrobat/Adobe/Whatever Reader, too . . . adios to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2008 Nov 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great post, JonnyV. I also got to the forum by google and suspected that getplus wasn't neccessary (like Abobe.com), but I wanted to make sure. Also, thanks for the thorough way of sticking a fork in getplus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2008 Dec 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that when I go to a Website and try to view a PDF, I receive a message that reads, "The Acrobat Reader that is running cannot be used to view files in a Web browser. Version 8 or 9 is required."

I have Reader 9 installed, but it won't bring up a Web PDF.

I have tried uninstalling AdobeAIR and getPlus(R) but can't seem to uninstall either of them. I get a message that says, "please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed."

What in the XXXX is going on?

Thank you!!! Marcus Brewer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2009 Jan 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JonnyV.

I too tried to follow your instructions, and I could not find the files you mentioned. I did find references to them in the registry though. Can the files be found using Windows Explorer? I couldn't find them that way either.

Thanks in advance!

- Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2009 Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those unsure of the way Johnny V's (great post, btw) uninstall of the getPlus(R) and you're running Windows, you can uninstall it this way:

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
2. Choose the "getPlus(R)" from the list
3. Click "Remove"

That will remove it from your system and should remove most of the extra files laying around on your system (aka I couldn't find them in the Registry after that).

For Marcus Brewer - try running Windows in Safe Mode, and then uninstalling them, or make sure they're not open in some way, shape, or form, if you're not sure how to get into Safe Mode. If they're not uninstalling, try to reinstall Adobe Reader on top of it, then uninstall - the files may be corrupt.

And btw, to graffiti's post, Acrobat does still exist - it's up to version 9, same as the Reader - they have Standard, Pro, and Pro Extended - how else do you think people still create PDF's who don't have access to older versions of Acrobat(besides going to a different PDF software, at least...)?

If you just need to VIEW a PDF, download Adobe Reader 9.0 (as of this post, at least) - there's a button to it on the front of Adobe's website. If you need to EDIT a PDF, then you're SOL, unless you wish to dish out the money for it ($299 for Standard version). Most people will not need to edit a PDF, and if it's a PDF setup as a Form, most of the time, the creator will have set up the PDF to have Text Boxes that you can fill out, though they may have other permissions set on it where you can only do certain things with it when finished. But even if this is the case, you still only need the READER.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2009 Feb 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Johnny V,
Just found this thread and I must say your response was "SPOT ON". So glad to see someone is willing to help rather than push someone elsewhere. Those other first responders needed a good lesson in humanity. Your directions took care of and answered everything I had a question about. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2009 Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded Adobe Reader 9.1 today for the new Zero Day patch and uninstalled the getPlus(R)program from my programs and features. I also noticed Adobe AIR. Do I need this? I never do anything besides basic internet browsing. I am using Windows Vista HP. How can I make sure I completely uninstalled get plus, acrobat? Like Louise C., I am also a newbie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2009 Mar 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
JONNYV, Thanks so much for taking the time to explain things properly. As this is not YOUR job, I hope you will not be annoyed when I ask you to explain in more detail your instructions for 'removing all the bloat' as there seems to be more than a few of us "newbies" who don't quite grasp how to perform the tasks as outlined in your first response. Here it is 10 months later and people are STILL dealing with this crap .... hope you're still around to help. Again, MUCH THANKS!
Donna D.
p.s. by any chance are you from the So. Indiana area?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines