Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.1.0 distiller ICC profile error asks for reinstall

Mar 17, 2009 1:07 PM

I have Windows XP professional, SP3.

My Systems Administrator recently upgraded my Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 to 9.1.0 and since then I keep getting an error that says: Distiller cannot find its standard ICC profiles. Please reinstall Adobe Acrobat to correct this problem.

This error happens when:

1. I print to Adobe from a web page (IE 7.0.5730.11 or Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.20)

2. I try to print to any printer from certain websites, such as the usps.com, where I print all our postage labels from.

3. Occasionally when I start up the PC.

Sometimes I get the error but it still pdfs the page. Usually, though, it hangs and then Acrobat and the web browser close.

I seem to be able to pdf MS Office 2007 items (Word, Excel) and my Filemaker Pro Advanced 10 records. I guess it's when I'm "printing" to Adobe as opposed to "saving as pdf" that I have this problem.

Acrobat 8 worked fine. My Sys Admin has reinstalled the upgrade twice (after trying a repair which didn't work) to no avail. He can't find any documentation about this error at Adobe, so he's going to uninstall it and switch me back to Adobe 8.

I do all of the pdf'ing of our deliverable documents at my company and I would like to have the latest edition of Acrobat. If anyone knows of anything I can do, please let me know.

Thanks!
Stephie

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2009 6:09 AM   in reply to (Stephie_Smith)
    hmm not seen this error before,
    I assume your distiller setting will have been set to Standard pdf settings. Next time you try to create a pdf via the adobe pdf printer, click on the properties button with the pdf printer selected and change the default settings from standard to either press or high quality.

Does that still bring up the error?

There's 2 locations distill will try and obtain it's colour profiles from:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color and
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Color\Profiles

make sure your user account has permissions to access either folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2009 9:27 AM   in reply to (Stephie_Smith)
    Same issue here. I installed on 4 desktops just fine. However this one when the user logs in she gets the "Distiller cannot fine standard ICC profiles..." error after the login screen and when she makes PDFs (everything seems to work OK though, just the odd error message). When administrator logs in it is fine. I checked paths, uninstalled and re-installed as the user (with admin rights - then changed them to normal user) and still have the problem. It is a rights issue, because once I make her "administrator" she doesn't get the error message. It doesn't work setting her to a power user. I have tried setting rights for the suggested folders (actually set her full rights to the "drivers" folder as well as the "PF\CF\Adobe" folder.) I also tried giving full rights to the pdf printer object as well.

Still working on it, but would love some more options. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2009 2:57 PM   in reply to (Stephie_Smith)
    Update on this. I tried to "shotgun" rights by giving the user modify to each main root directory: (i.e. c:\windows, c:\program files, etc.) in an effort to figure out what it didn't like. I went through the entire thing, then just did C:\ and still got the same error when using it with the user.

So then I gave the user all rights to all printers (I figure what the heck.) Still same problem. So just to check my sanity I made sure that all I did was make the user part of local admin and no more error message. Made the user part of "power users" instead and got the error message.

So now I'm thinking registry access rights at this point as it is odd in that the user can have modify rights to the entire c: drive and it give the error, but when given local admin rights it works just fine.

Also like I mentioned it doesn't seem to keep the pdf process from working, it just gives the error: "Disiller cannot find its standard ICC profiles" "Please reinstall Adobe Acrobat to correct the problem" (which of course I have)you click OK and then it goes about working.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2009 3:04 PM   in reply to (Stephie_Smith)
    Hey Stephie, Do you have InDesign installed on the same machine?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2009 10:44 AM   in reply to (Stephie_Smith)
    Thanks Stephie for the info. This person that is having the trouble here is my only one with InDesign CS2 installed as well. Just checking. (Working on it today and will post if I come up with some type of "fix")

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2009 12:17 PM   in reply to (Stephie_Smith)
    This worked for me:<br /><br />1. Uninstall Acrobat 9.1<br />2. search and delete all references to "acrobat" in the registry<br />3. delete the acrobat files under docs and settings\<user>\app data\adobe as well as docs and settings\<user>\local settings\app data\adobe<br />(or wherever your profile settings are)<br />4. Reinstalled Acrobat with a FULL install.<br /><br />She is up and running now.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2009 3:24 PM   in reply to (Stephie_Smith)

Tried the uninstall/reinstall - so much work in the registry, and improbable to get all keys.  I downloaded the ICC profiles from the Adobe site, installed it according to instructions, and - poof! - no more problem.  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=62&platform =windows

Cheers,

Rich

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2011 12:41 PM   in reply to (Stephie_Smith)

Adobe Tech support was most helpful on this.  First download the updated

Distiller ICC profile files at:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4075&fileID= 3790

Unzip the file and copy only the *.icc files (without regard to the subfolders that they are in - in other words, take the files out of each of the subfolders) to the followng folder in Windows 7:

c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color

These new files will probably overwrite some old ones.

This solved the problem for me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 10:13 AM   in reply to diversionlaw

Hi Guys

I'm running Acrobat 9 Pro, which came with the CS5 Master Collection and recently I've started experiencing this ICC error as well. I followed your download link but it's for CS4. Does it work for CS5 as well or will it cause a problem? My OS is Win7, 64bit.

Regards,

Graham

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 11:37 AM   in reply to diversionlaw

I tried this today, but am still getting the error on startup.  Is there anyone that can help?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2011 9:26 AM   in reply to (Stephie_Smith)

Adobe Tech support was most helpful on this.  First download the updated

Distiller ICC profile files at:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4075&fileID= 3790

Unzip the file and copy only the *.icc files (without regard to the subfolders that they are in - in other words, take the files out of each of the subfolders) to the followng folder in Windows 7:

c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color

These new files will probably overwrite some old ones.

This solved the problem for me.

---------------------------------------------------------

This is actually the best solution though I found that instead of copying all the .icc files to the windows\sys...  folder, all you need to do is copy the 3 Video files from the RGB folder (VideoHD.icc, VideoNTSC.icc, and VideoPAL.icc).  Once you add these three files to  c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color  you will be good to go.

It seems that this was an error on the part of Adobe in that there is no reason to include Video files for printing.  Nevertheless, the distiller will look for these and return the ICC profile error message if those files are not present.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2011 9:28 AM   in reply to WestmeierD

Thank you for your mail. I am out of the office from 23 December until Tuesday 3 January 2012 and will have limited access to emails.

You can email enquiries@gbatbeckenham.co.uk for any matter that may require attention during this time. If you enquiry is urgent, you can contact me on +4479 3255 8974. If I am not immediately available, please leave a Voice Mail with your contact details and I shall respond as soon as possible.

Please accept my compliments of the season.

Best regards,

Graham Austin

(Director, GBat Beckenham)

www.gbatbeckenham.co.uk

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)