Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AC3 support!!!

Jul 2, 2008 5:36 PM

I work mostly with video and I enjoy using AA for the audio portion. It's a bit of a pain though with no direct AC3 support.

Can we have this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 3, 2008 1:54 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    This has been discussed many times, though not recently. In short: not likely to happen, due to Audition's delightfully economical cost and Dolby's less-than-economical licensing fees and requirements.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2008 10:07 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    Forget about Adobe.

They never listen to their costumers.

I reported Adobe to many software critics & it's horrible nightmare for Adobe.

Here, download this AC-3/DTS filter:

http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/ac3filter/ac3filter_aud ition_0_1a.zip

AC3Filter Audition plugin allows CoolEdit / Adobe Audition to read AC3 and DTS files and write AC3 files.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,597 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 5, 2008 1:32 AM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    >I reported Adobe to many software critics & it's horrible nightmare for Adobe.

I'd fully expect them to attach just as much significance to anything you say as we do...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2008 2:21 AM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    No they don't.
    Hahahaha.
    You know steve, Adobe audio video products is always at end of the list.
    The best Pro Video Editor 2007 was Sony Vegas Pro 8.
    Also, the second high-end competitor is Avid Media Composer, then Apple Finale Cut.
    The Audio Editors competitors are: Steinberg WaveLab Essential 6 & Sony Sound Forge 9.
    They always update their products with the latest codecs & add more features to their products.

But Adobe don't, just a loser.
    Adobe Premier Pro CS3 Review from PC World:
    Cons
    * Lacks AVCHD support
    * Even with DVD authoring app, still have to render

Premiere Elements 4: Rate: 82 out of 100:
    * Revised interface eliminates some useful features
    * Settings for YouTube upload can't be adjusted

Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus Rate 84 out of 100

SEE, Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus is better than Premiere Elements 4.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/139275/adobe_premiere_elements_4_video_ editor.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/133300/corel_ulead_videostudio_11_plus_ and_pinnacle_systems_studio_11_ultimate.html

Adobe only can counts on Photoshop CS3 Ex & Flash.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,597 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 5, 2008 6:32 AM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    >The Audio Editors competitors are: Steinberg WaveLab Essential 6 & Sony Sound Forge 9.

Unfortunately for you, nobody takes any notice of these 'ratings' in the real world at all. You can get a far more effective indicator of software popularity, as rated by searches, by looking at

http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/popularity.htm

and you will find that although Audition has a lower ranking than it did a couple of years ago, Sound Forge, and especially Wavelab feature somewhat lower still - that only accounts for 9% of all Steinberg searches, so it doesn't even figure on the main list at all. And if you proportion the searches up against individual products, Audition gets closer to Cubase anyway.

At least this way, we get some sort of an independent idea of how different programs are really doing, as compared to your pointless ranting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2008 7:46 AM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    HAHAHAHAHA...
    WHO CARES ABOUT POPULARITY?
    PEOPLE CARES ABOUT QUALITY.
    YOU KNOW, AUDITION IS JUST LIKE IPHONE, POPULAR, BUT TERRIBLE PDA PHONE.
    AUDITION TOO IN FEATURES.
    WHAT ABOUT PREMIER PRO & PREMIER ELEMENTS?
    YOU JUST TALKING POINTLESS.
    VIDEO MAKER & PC WORLD JUST BURNED ADOBE PRODUCTS.
    OTHER CRITICS TOO.
    READ THIS TO FIND OUT WHAT HYDROGEN AUDIO MASTERS SAYING ABOUT DURIN, YOUR AUDITION ENGINEER:
    http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=55784&st=120

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2008 9:19 AM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    >READ THIS TO FIND OUT WHAT HYDROGEN AUDIO MASTERS SAYING ABOUT DURIN, YOUR AUDITION ENGINEER

I was more interested in reading what they had to say about you!

"FYI, Sina was banned from this site for being a complete idiot"

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,597 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 5, 2008 12:33 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    >"FYI, Sina was banned from this site for being a complete idiot"

They were quite polite, really, weren't they? I couldn't recommend breeding from him at all - even if he was capable of it, which seems dubious.

I mean, what does he do around here? Slags off everything, never offers any constructive help at all to anybody, and can't write proper English. Let's face it, he doesn't serve any useful function at all. He certainly doesn't process audio for a living - I mean, would you employ somebody like him? Not if you wanted any customers left...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2008 12:35 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    Yes...
    They think we are just idiots, all of us.
    They thing they are gods of audio business.
    Are you idiot Runway?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,597 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 5, 2008 12:37 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    >They thing they are gods of audio business.

Compared to you, they are... compared to you my deaf grandmother would be - and she's dead!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2008 12:46 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    Steve, I know you hate me, but I don't care.
    It's just your opinion.
    I just want a good support from Adobe, that's all.
    Why should waste my time for nothing?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,597 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 5, 2008 1:02 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    >Why should waste my time for nothing?

It's not your time I care about - it's everybody else's, having to read the garbage you write on every other forum where you lower the tone. They are the real victims; your inconsiderate behaviour gets nobody anywhere at all. It gets you nowhere either, so why the F.H. do you do it?

>It's just your opinion.

No it's not. When I said "Slags off everything, never offers any constructive help at all to anybody, and can't write proper English" that was based on observing your behaviour here, and not an opinion at all. And on top of that, I haven't heard a single, solitary voice in support of you, either.

>Steve, I know you hate me

Wrong about that too - I despise your behaviour.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2008 1:33 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    You're right steve, we are victims because adobe don't listen to costumers.
    adobe didn't add AAC,AC-3,AMR support in Audition 3.
    Then, I contact Alex @ ac3filter.net about Audition & he developed AC3Filter for Audition.
    & again, I contact Igor @ http://blog.monogram.sk/janos & he developed AMR filter for Audition.
    & again & again, I contact Igor for new LAME filter for Audition.
    Why, because of terrible support from adobe.
    Adobe suffers Audition users so terrible.
    How much cost LAME & FLAC filters for adobe?
    FLAC is a free file format.
    IDK what's wrong with adobe.
    adobe don't cares about the quality of products, just revenue like Microsoft.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2008 1:45 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    Comment back for Durin:
    ...and stereo mode is magically capable of an exact reproduction??? lol

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,597 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 5, 2008 2:02 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    You've got a high and mighty view of your role in any of this, haven't you? Let's take Igor, for instance - what he has to say about this is:

>I have received some requests for writing a plugin for Adobe Audition.

and that will be the same for any plugin writer - they wouldn't do this on the basis of a single request at all. Any of us could make these requests if we really wanted to - and obviously some people have. And they would have done this for themselves - not for any altruistic reasons at all. Your general demeanour isn't to be genuinely helpful in the slightest - you are just selfish.

>You're right steve, we are victims because adobe don't listen to costumers. adobe didn't add AAC,AC-3,AMR support in Audition 3.

That's because they made available a SDK - just so that people could write extensions for it. We've told you all this before; it's you that doesn't listen, not Adobe. And if Adobe had to develop all this code that just a few people might want, then the overall cost of the software for everybody would be increased. So, fortunately for the rest of us, they have more sense than to listen to the likes of you. You're not a victim - you're just plain ignorant.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2008 2:13 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    You are just lame-plain ignorant too steve.
    OK, I'm convinced.
    adobe can develop & sell AC-3/DTS, AMR filters as separate plug-ins.
    But AAC should be supported as native filter, because of iTunes.
    What about FLAC & LAME?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,597 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 5, 2008 2:54 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    >You are just lame-plain ignorant too steve.

Unlike you, I have some evidence to support my claim; i.e, you are still exhibiting it in spades:

>adobe can develop & sell AC-3/DTS, AMR filters as separate plug-ins.
    But AAC should be supported as native filter, because of iTunes.
    What about FLAC & LAME?

You just don't get it, do you? Adobe develop editing software, not filters. Adding support for filters is somebody else's problem, not Adobe's.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2008 4:07 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    >Are you idiot Runway?

I guess if the definition of idiot is that I can spell, form a cohesive sentence and waste my time having anything to do with someone who is clearly the poster boy for all idiots?

Then so be it.

I'm looking under the bridge and all I see is a troll!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2008 5:01 AM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    I suggest using the forum's "ignore" feature where appropriate.

(There's no button - you just, er, ignore).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2008 2:25 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    Amidst all this Sina blather I see the usual complete lack of morals and integrity concerning copyrights and patents. As is typical, hacks and cracks abound with no consideration (or royalties) given to the inventors.

Back to Blackbill's original question and post #2 above -- great question.

There are two levels of Dolby licensing: a free or nearly free one that allows
    i stereo-only
    encoding and/or decoding; and a full-featured 5.1/6.1 encoder allowing full control of the channel configuration, metadata, and downmix parameters. This level of licensing is also required if you need Dolby Logo licensing for product manufacture.
    b The Ulead Movie Factory 6 offers the former stereo-only level of encoding.
    So does Adobe's Encore DVD. While this is certainly very helpful, most people who come asking for AC-3 support for Audition are wanting surround capabilities, but are experimenting, and are
    i not
    producers/authoring houses, and therefore the "incompatibility" arises.

Adobe offers a fully licensed AC-3 encoder as an add-on plugin ($299), made by Minnetonka Audio, for
    b Premiere Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2008 2:56 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    Excellent & informative reply

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,597 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 9, 2008 2:39 AM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    >We actually called Dolby inquiring the legalities of the issue, and Dolby stated that small businesses are allowed to encode AC3 without a license...

>At any rate, as can be seen Dolby licensing does not have to be expensive. Other programs do in fact come with it and you're not paying an arm/leg for it either..... which is why I don't understand it's exclusion from Adobe Audition.

It's true that if you enquire as a small business, the answers from Dolby are different - I've had that experience over hardware issues with them. But if, as Adobe, you ask about general licence terms where the end use simply cannot be controlled, I'd guess that the answer would be somewhat different. It's also possible that in recent times, Dolby has changed their licensing policy somewhat - which to me would make some sense; I always thought that if you wanted something to become any sort of a 'standard' format, the way to do it was not to make it prohibitively expensive for people to generate it.

But I'd still rather that the expensive surround version was an addition to Audition, and therefore not a part of the up-front cost - simply because I, and I strongly suspect the vast majority of users, have no use for it whatsoever at present. It would be nice to think that it was available should I need it someday, but that's as far as I'd want to go.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2008 12:06 PM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    A nice bit of work there, Blackbill, which goes far beyond what I know about those programs. One technical note: no Adobe programs allow for 5.1
    i decoding,
    although with the right trickery you can get decoding to a stereo wave to happen irrespective of the original channel configuration of the stream. I've always thought that Dolby didn't allow for 5.1 decodes; but from an engineering point of view, the more compelling reason is that it is lossy. Very lossy, actually, so decoding, editing, and re-saving is akin to the degradations you can encounter when working with mp3s. Best left as "destination formats." Of course, if it's the only way the audio exists, that's a different story.

I suspect that we'll never know the financial viability of Adobe adding AC-3 to Audition without actually doing it, because the people who need it professionally don't usually have a problem paying the costs of the Premiere plug, or for Vegas, or whatever, and tend to already have it. Conversely, it's usually the new and amateur users who request that the format be supported here for whom the price of the plugin isn't cost-effective. The problem is that Adobe's "hands" must certainly be tied by the long-standing relationship with Minnetonka's "SurCode." I wonder what percentage of Premiere users have paid for Dolby SurCode; what it would take to re-code it as an add-on for Audition's surround encoder; and if the price could be dropped for
    i both
    programs such that Minnetonka could make up for the loss by sheer volume. But I wonder if some people would still consider $150 (HALF price) too high for an Audition plug. Whatever the case may be, Adobe can't sell a Dolby encoder at different prices for different programs.

I've always agreed with Steve that it should be an add-on. I also concur that Dolby's priority is to control their image and trademark, while turning loose with the simple forms of the format when certification is not important.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2008 2:20 AM   in reply to (Blackbill)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2008 8:56 AM   in reply to (Blackbill)
    Does it work for you?:

Open Adobe Audition

Select View, then Multitrack View (if you overlook this step, you will not be able to import the AC3 file)

Next, select File, Import, and find the AC3 file on your hard drive

Select Open (the audio will then be extracted)

Now in the file window in Adobe Audition, double click on the imported AC3 file

Your audio file wave form will appear on the screen

Select File, Save As, and in the box that appears, choose MP3 in the "Save as type" box

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2010 8:25 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

To  resolve the issue once and for all, I went to school, learned a lot, I  studied some programming languages and now3 yeasr after, I´m able to write my own plugins for  Adobe Audition. It was the best way I found. Today  I can Encode, Decode Open, Close, Save , Destroy .... (lol).. .my audios in Dolby 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, DTS,(thes othes flavors of Dolby if for me, with Stereo LFE and Stereo Surround Back) and even wrote an old  Quadraphonic, as they were in the 80s, just for fun!

As said SteaveG, Adobe makes software for audio editing and don'ts plugins.

What a pity that we users have to make us so much work and effort!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 9:11 PM   in reply to LeonUnger

Hi Leon,

Are your awesome-sounding plugins available for download or purchase?  I know it's been a while since you posted....

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2011 8:33 AM   in reply to formsofair13

Em 17/03/2011 01:11, formsofair13 escreveu:

Hi Leon,

Are your awesome-sounding plugins available for download or purchase?  I know it's been a while since you posted....

>

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to LeonUnger

sorry by the enormous time to write here again, but i came for this forum , only when i can´t rewsolve by myself the isues tha comes out . I actually haviong ptoblems with 5.1 files encoded in audution 5.5, not play corretely in PP5.5.

But the plugin i wrote was good only in Pentium 4 processors,and especifically audio hardware tha came in thar mobo, because the microcodes i used.

You have to see that i want to resolve my problems as fast as i can ... No commercial thougths tropugh my mind .... he he he he ....

Today I´ve been using a dual opteron machine, witn a asus asio csounf card, in 64 bits enviroment, and audio card came with all plugins ans i very **** 5.1 encoder /decoder.

So ai descontinued tha work . Recently i wrote a driver for a webcam in windows 8, becaouse none of windows7  drives runs corretely. But I'm having a lot of work on my main activity that is post-production sound for movies, commercials, video clips and so on. and I must confess that the development of basic software is no longer a priority, then it is increasingly rare for me to write some software. In all, a big hug for you.

Best regards,

Leon Unger

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)