Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't open Olympus .orf pics in Photoshop CS3

Sep 1, 2007 11:47 AM

I can't seem to open Olympus camera raw pics (.orf) in Photoshop CS3. They will open in Bridge, launching CameraRaw 4.1, and I can adjust the pics but nothing happens when I click the 'Open Object' button. If I save as .dng Photoshop will open it. I didn't used to have to save in .dng. I did just have to Archive & Install but I have reinstalled and updated everything including Adobe.

I have a G5 twin 2.0 OSX 10.4.10 - Photoshop CS3 10.0 - Bridge 2.1.0.100. Olympus SP-550UZ

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2007 4:27 PM   in reply to Papaw Fitz
    Hi,

That's a supported camera and expected to work. What happens if you try to open it directly from PS? Also have you tried opening a JPG into the Bridge hosted Camera Raw dialog and then clicking the 'Open Image' button?

Are there any non-standard characters in the file name?

Regards,
    steve

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Sep 7, 2007 5:11 PM   in reply to Papaw Fitz
    >the 'Open Object' button

You mean "Open Image" in Camera Raw?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2008 8:26 AM   in reply to Papaw Fitz
    Their are still a trouble:
    I am own the brand new Olympus E-3 and i need for my works the RAWs, but it create the ORF's files, and that all, no one programme i own can open it, no Adobe (the latest version) as well non the COREL DRAW 13 Pro. (The CRraw is just PREFERABLE !)

all the folks here advice and propose all possible, but not the answer, how to convert the damn ORF to RAW, or TiFF, or what ever, but please don't write here, how good are the JPGs and what exist the nice quality of it. WE all are not babies and know, JPG just a good thing, but we even need the RAWs and TiFFs !

By the way: Raw Shooter Essentials 2006 sacks !!! not recognize even that ORFs exists !!!

So do here anyone , who know the magic word ?

(by the way: sorry guys for my French' English )....

Take it easy, or Easy take you !
    Rene

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 17, 2008 3:10 PM   in reply to Papaw Fitz
    The ACR plug in version 4.3.1 has the E-3 listed as supported. Make sure you have this installed in PSCS3.

If you go back to the forumlist layout (go one page back in history) you will find the section useful links on top of this page.

Click on link nr 4: Adobe Camera Raw updates and download the latest version of ACR. Follow the install instructions exactly and you should be OK.

This works only with PSCS3 if you have CS2 still installed you can upgrade to CS3 or use the DNG converter from Adobe to convert the files to DNG. This files will then open in CS2.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2008 5:41 AM   in reply to Papaw Fitz
    This regards the Mac platform. I am unable to open .ORF files in ACR, Bridge and PS3. I'm completely updated in ACR to 4.4.1. I've tried the DNG converter and it gives me parsing errors. I do see that the Olympus E series cameras are supported. I didn't see the E420 specifically listed but can't imagine a difference in .ORF files. Is there an Adobe solution to this?

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    May 12, 2008 6:26 AM   in reply to Papaw Fitz
    If your specific camera model is not on the list of supported cameras, you're just going to have to wait for a future release. Each model generates different raw files.

ACR and the DNG Converter are updated in tandem from three to four times per year. Newer cameras are usually supported within one to three ACR releases after they actually hit the shelves in camera shops

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to Papaw Fitz

Just looking into this problem myself. PS3 is only compatible with Camera Raw up to version 4.6

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408941.html#main_Note%203

and the xz-1 requires 6.4

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html

So you can only open it by using the Adobe DNF convertor

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=5258&fileID= 4900

which I'm about to try... Employee should have known this. Adobe products shuld be more future proof than this. It's insidious. Like InDesign not opening files from future versions. Adobe loves it's customers (money)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to Papaw Fitz

Can't get DNG convertor to work.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 14, 2012 4:57 AM   in reply to Khechog

Adobe products shuld be more future proof than this. It's insidious. Like InDesign not opening files from future versions. Adobe loves it's customers (money)

Lots of older applications from different vendors are not able to open files from formats used in later versions, mostly they can do the other way round.

Besides the fact that this is a user to user forum and your complaints won't be heard by Adobe you can't blame Adobe for the habit of camera vendors to use a different Raw version for each new dSLR they produce. It is a very old discussion and there are tons of post about in almost each forum about Raw and dSLR.

The current free DNG converter can handle your files without problems. Be sure to download the latest converter from the Adobe side and read the instructions carefully.

Keep in mind that the upgrade strategy for Adobe seems to be changed after CS6 has launched. Before you could upgrade from maximum 3 versions back, it seems after CS6 has launched there will be a short period to upgrade from older version but after that you can only upgrade from one version back. Check yourself for the correct details.

And like you and me, we all have to earn our living, selling your work once and afterwards keep working for free for that one time customer is not the best strategy to stay alive as business...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)