Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS4 bridge... enabling camera raw??

Oct 24, 2008 5:08 PM

I just installed CS4, and get the following when trying CTRL-R:

"Camera Raw editing is not enabled.
Camera Raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature."

What the heck qualifying product is supposed to be launched, and how can I enable RAW in Bridge?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2008 1:24 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    I had to reboot to get bridge to launch ACR.
    --
    Charlie...
    http://www.chocphoto.com

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2008 11:52 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Chris,

Which CS4 product did you install? ACR is enabled if you have CS4 Photoshop, After Effects or Suite.

Michelle Qi
    Bridge QE

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2008 10:35 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Hi to all!

I have the same problem, reboot did nothing.

I'm not sure I understand the Michelle message... do I have to have installed Photoshop CS4 AND Creative Suite 4, or Photoshop CS4 AND After Effects to make it work?

Thanks a lot for your help, this problem really annoys me.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2008 12:21 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Henri, you need "PSCS4" OR "Suite CS4" OR "After Effects CS4" - let me know if you still can't do ACR edit

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2008 2:34 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Thanks a lot for answering!

I have PS CS4 installed and still the same problem, I've tried all I could.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2008 3:02 PM   in reply to (Henri_Pare)
    Is CS4 activated?
    --
    Charlie...
    http://www.chocphoto.com

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2008 12:05 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    I get the same error message. Have reported it to Adobe who can't offer a solution as yet. They have elevated the issue to their senior technical team. If anybody finds a solution please let us know. At the moment bridge has very little functionality.

RAL

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2008 12:38 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    I had the same problem, and couldn't figure out how to get ACR to work. I finally searched through my images in bridge for one that had been adjusted by ACR (under CS3) and still had the sidecar file. I opened that one, and ACR popped right up - and after that, all images were fine - worked just like it did in CS3.

Hope that works for you!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2008 3:27 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Penny,

I have tried what you suggested. I can get images to open in ACR but hosted by Photoshop. Are you able to to host ACR in Bridge? I am also unable to make any changes to file info. By the way I am running CS4 on a Vista 64 bit PC.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2008 10:46 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    For the folks who can't open ACR edit dialog in Bridge. Could you please let me know:
    - your OS language?
    - your PS or Suite exact installed path?

Thank you.
    Michelle Qi
    Bridge QE

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2008 11:54 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    The trick might be that Bridge CS4 is still running so you're not really closing it. I was launching it from a CS4 application, but I was still getting the ACR error.

Bridge CS4 was the first app I opened and it asked me if I wanted to launch it automatically on startup to make it load faster. I selected yes. Then when ACR wasn't launching I just hit the X on the window and tried launching Bridge CS4 from within Photoshop/InDesign. If you notice that Bridge opens up very quickly it's because you're still running it. Go to your system tray (Windows), right click on the Br icon and close it. Then launch Bridge again from Photoshop/Indesign and see if ACR opens up.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2008 9:46 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    I cannot open a jpeg in ACR.
    I also get same error message when I try to go from Bridge - Edit - Camera Raw Preferences... or Creative Suite Color Settings...
    Any new ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2008 12:11 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    From Michelle Qi :

For the folks who can't open ACR edit dialog in Bridge. Could you please let me know:
    - your OS language?
    - your PS or Suite exact installed path?

Henri :

My langage is french and my path is :
    H:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4

Thanks to all!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2008 12:50 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    OP sys is Estonian Vista Business 32
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (US English)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2008 9:04 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    For those of you having this issue:

Try going into PS CS4 and going to Edit>Preferences and choosing Camera Raw. Then just press OK, and go try to test Bridge again.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2008 3:56 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Not working for me... thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2008 7:45 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Same here, unfortunately.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2008 10:33 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    This may be way off base, but I have seen posts where weird problems have been solved in CS3 by clicking the English option in advanced preferences. May be worth a shot to see if it has any effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2008 1:31 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Hi,

If you see raw file thumbnails, but can't access ACR Edit or Preferences dialog, please email me directly at "mqi@adobe.com" with the following 2 log file:

%temp%\amt.log
    %temp%\alm.log

Thank you.
    Michelle

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2008 10:15 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Hello,

I had the same problem as described by the OP. I tried the following and it worked: selected a RAW file, right clicked the mouse (I'm on Windows) and choose "Open with Adobe Photoshop CS4". The file then opened in ACR in PS CS4. Made a small adjustment and hit "done".
    Next, went back to Bridge, double clicked on the RAW file (or used the new "Open in Camera Raw" button) and it worked without any problem.

Strange, but it worked. I hope it helps.

ErwinC

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2008 2:31 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    OK, I noticed, that I have a lot of old CS3 folders in AppData folder so I deleted all Adobe stuff in my computer (incl Reader, all Adobe in registry, all Adobe folders) and installed very clean CS4 international English (previous was US English) and now everything seems working fine. So maybe it was old CS3 data, maybe US English with Estonian Vista Business, maybe whatever, who knows... just delete everything (CCleaner helps a lot in registry) and start from zero. BTW, Camera Profiles Beta 2 works fine too.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2008 7:01 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Having read many of the comments here, I have followed all suggestions without success.
    On my computer Bridge won't display any RAW files as well as TIF files, only PSD and JPG files.
    Also, RAW files won't open in Photoshop offering the following message "Could not complete your request because of a program error". This message will only come up if Photoshop is already running. If Photoshop is not running, then nothing happens...
    What is interesting and troubling, is that it worked for several days right after having been installed.
    FYI I have the complete Master Suite installed.
    Looking forward to a solution soon...
    Cheers,
    Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2008 8:41 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    I tried what you suggested Martin but it didn't work here. Also looking forward to a solution!

Thanks,

Wyatt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2008 2:30 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Today I decided to check for the Camera raw plug in and it was not where it should be.
    So, I downloaded the latest version 5.1, installed it manually and yippee it works :-)
    Cheers,
    Michael

Note; if you have both the 32 and 64 bit Photoshop versions installed each require their own (correct) RAW converter.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2008 9:15 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    I am another one with the same problem.

I have just moved to a Vista 64 bit machine.

I installed my new Adobe Design Premium CS4 suite, complete with the required registration etc.
    I have opened, used and closed Photoshop and Bridge a few times without problems.

I am having a problem when I try to open Camera RAW from Bridge.
    Normally, I can right click on either jpg or CR2 file and choose "Open in Camera RAW" as a menu option.
    Currently, I am getting this error message when I right click and try to open it in Camera RAW on both jpg and CR2 files:

"Camera Raw editing is not enabled.
    Camera Raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature."

Strangely, though, Camera RAW does open just fine when I double click a CR2 file, so it IS there, and it IS installed and working, I just can't get to it via right click and can't get it to open any jpg's.

I installed the updated to 5.1, still no success.

I have restarted both PS/Bridge and my computer.

Any other ideas? What does it mean by "launching a qualifying product" that I haven't already done?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2008 1:46 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Me again. I just had an response from Adobe support that actually fixed my problem. I will paste it in here, but keep in mind that it was the answer given to ME for MY computer, so it may not work for you..... don't blame me or Adobe if it doesn't.
    Read my previous post to get an idea of my situation.
    Good luck, I hope it works for other people, too.

Here is my fix (the files were already in place, but opening the two versions of Photoshop is what did the trick):

"On Windows® Vista 64-bit, two separate versions of Photoshop are
    installedin both 64 and 32-bit. When camera raw is installed, it must
    be installed for both versions to work correctly. If you manually
    installed the plug-in, please ensure you followed these directions after downloading the plug-in:

The CameraRaw.8bi found at the top level of the zip folder should be
    placed in the following directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats

The CameraRaw.8bi found in the folder labeled 64-bit should be placed in the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats

You can access these instructions and the download for Camera Raw on our website. . To access the page, simply copy the following and paste it in the address bar of your web browser:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4060

If this does not resolve the issue, it is possible that you have
    launched one version of Photoshop but not the other, meaning the 64 and
    32-bit versions. To ensure both have been launched, do the following:

1. Close out of Photoshop and Bridge

2. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS4

3. Double click on Photoshop.exe

4. After the program opens fully, please close it.

5. Navigate to C:\Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS4

6. Double click on Photoshop.exe

7. After the program opens fully, please close it.

8. Launch Bridge from the icon you typically use and attempt open images in Camera Raw."

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2008 8:52 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    I followed these instructions carefully but it didn't work for me. I am still getting the same error.
    Is it a problem that I have cs3 installed on same pc as well?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2008 7:40 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    I did the same thing with the same results. I have CS3 installed as well, but I am afraid to remove it, since RAW works with this version.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2008 9:20 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2008 5:45 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    I have the same problem on a Mac running OS 10.5.5. I can open ACR from within Photoshop CS4, but not from within Bridge CS4. Very annoying...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2008 8:56 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Open PS CS4
    Go to Edit->Preferences->Camera Raw
    At the bottom of the Camera Raw Preferences dialog box in the JPEG and TIFF handdling select Automatically oppen all supported JPEs/TIFFs

Hope it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2008 9:08 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Oppen the image with double click instead of Ctrl+r

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2008 8:56 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    none@sky.ocm
    all this has been done - doesn't work!!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2008 3:24 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Hi Sun365x11,

Could you please go to your windows command line:
    type in "cd %temp%"
    do "dir"

You should find "alm.log" and "amt.log" - could you please send these 2 files to me at "mqi@adobe.com?"

Thanks,
    Michelle

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2008 5:58 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    hi everyone. i have a same problem with my camera raw. it show this "qualifying product". and what i do is i uninstall the photoshop cs4 and reinstall back with photoshop extended. but you have to download a new trial from adobe.com. after i do this my annoying problem is gone. hope you guys try it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2008 6:02 PM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    I have the same problem. I receive a 'Camera raw editing is not enabled' msg when I try to open anything in Camera RAW from Bridge.

I'm running a trial version of PS CS4 Extended on Vista64. I auto-updated to the latest updates after installing. Also tried all suggestions above to no avail.

Another strange thing is that PS 32bit stopped working after 1st run and now asks for a serial to continue, while PS 64bit runs just fine and it says I have 29 days left (I installed them yesterday.) I guess they should be in sync, not? Any chance to get it back running somehow? Or does it only allow me to trial either 64 or 32 bit but not both??

Thanks,

--Zs

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2009 10:33 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    Hi, I had some experiences that may help. Am now able to edit camera raw preferences and open in camera raw 5.2. A license issue apparently was causing problems.

I purchased a new computer with Vista 64 bits and deactivated Photoshop CS4 (32 bits) on my old computer and installed it on the new computer. I successfully activated CS4 on the new computer. But there were problems with the 64-bit version.

When Bridge was open I could bring a raw file into camera raw (camera raw window now states that it is version 5.2) by double-clicking on its thumbnail. I could then edit the file in camera raw and open it in Photoshop and further modify it there. I could also open a camera raw file through Bridge by selecting it and using the file command to "open with". The only choice under that command is "Adobe Photoshop CS4 (default).

If I selected a file in Bridge and use the command through the file menu to open the raw file in camera raw, I got a window that stated "Camera Raw editing is not enabled. Camera raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature." I get the same error message if I attempt to edit camera raw preferences.

If I opened up file Explorer and select a raw file and double-clicked on it, the file opened up in camera raw version 5.2.

If I opened up the 32-bit version of Adobe Photoshop CS4, I was able to open up raw files by using the command "open in camera raw." I was able with that command to simultaneously open several raw files into camera raw.

I tried various fixes for the 64-bit version such as successfully updating through the update choice on the menu and when that did not work downloaded the camera raw version 5.2 files and manually put them into place. The fixes did not work.

I had prepared an e-mail to Adobe Photoshop help when I decided to run Photoshop again on my new computer. While I was working with a file in Photoshop, a screen came up stating that I had only 29 days remaining on my new computer for using Photoshop because I was using Photoshop CS4 on two other computers.

I went to the old computer and found that Photoshop CS4 had re-activated itself-- possibly because preferences in it were for Bridge to start up with logon. When I had deactivated Photoshop CS4 on the old computer, I had let it retain the serial number on the old computer.

I called customer support at Adobe and was connected with someone in India. To my astonishment when I asked for help in correctly deactivating Photoshop on my old computer and keeping it from becoming active again, he said that that was a technical issue. He wanted to arrange for me to be able to run Photoshop on three different computers. At least that is what I think he wanted. It was very difficult to understand him. I could understand the words but what he said didn't seem to make sense. For instance at one point he referred to my Photoshop as version 11 and we had an argument over whether or not I had CS4 or version 11. He wanted me to select menu items that did not exist.

I finally gave up and said goodbye to the gentleman in India. I then again deactivated Photoshop on my old computer and this time told it to remove the serial number. I then attempted to restart Photoshop on my old computer and was told that it was not licensed.

Then I started the 64-bit version on my new computer, and everything worked properly.

Sorry for the long e-mail, but people with problems might want to be sure that Photoshop did not reactivate itself on an older computer -- as weird is that sounds.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2009 11:30 AM   in reply to (Chris_Schwaner)
    My CS4 was fine till I installed the ACR 5.3 RC then this nonsense started up, same as everyone else. In the middle of reinstalling to see if it helps.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)