• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge CS4 - low on memory error

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2008 Dec 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I am getting this error rather frequently after processing e.g. 50 RAW images in a batch. With plenty of RAM (4GB) on WIN XP Pro. Any hints will be much appreciated.
Vlad

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for my English - perhaps I will describe it clearly.
Some extra info - Processor Core2 Duo, Graphic c NVidia 8600GT, no program running in the background - so at least 2 GB is available. Saving 100 files from RAW to JPG - everything is OK (however RAM allocation for Bridge is huge - over 1 GB, but still plenty free). Consequent reviewing of created files works - but 100% file sizes are unavailable I've got the warning "Bridge is running low on memory - restart is recommended". Some commands do not work - e.g. RAW files are no more editable in ACR. Neglecting the need to restart the Bridge finally leads to Bridge crash and complete disappearing from the memory. This is probably all I can tell at this moment.
Anybody else with similar problem - or is this just mine PC?

thanks

Vlad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have CS4, but you might want to check the cache in Camera RAW preferences. Default in CS3 was one gig and you might need 5-10 gig for smoother operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2008 Dec 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for suggestion - I actually have set the cache to 10 Gigs, so the problem is somewhere else. What is quite strange that BR CS4 is increasing its memory allocation until... Never goes down, only up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a computer geek, but batch processing 50 RAW images would be 500 megs to 1+ gigs of data to handle in short period of time. Could be the computer is just not up to it, especially if you have other programs running in the background.

Look at average size of files and see it the total is reasonable for your processor/system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Curt for suggestion - PC here is Core2Duo 3,2GB with 4 GB RAM - I would say plenty of processing power. However Pentax camera RAWs are more then 20MB uncompressed each. Multiplied by 50 it really is 1GB+. But batch process should IMO open the file/allocate the memory/adjust the file/and save the file - then release the memory. Bridge CS4 is just eating more and more memory (though slowly) with no option to purge it after the process is over. This does not hurt until the error "low memory" occurs - especially when there is still plenty of memory available. BTW 50 Raws is not that much - typical batch to process may be several hundreds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2008 Dec 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem - XP pro SP3, Bridge CS4, 3GB of memory. Processing of 77 RAWs ("build cache" command) result in "low in memory warning". No ideas =(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem has been solved.

In my case Bridge was unable to write in cache folder due to permission limitation (the user, under which credentials the Bridge was running, had only read permission to that folder). As the result, Bridge was unable to save images on the disk, so it keeps them all in memory - that's why it consumed so much memory. Also that problem had many bad consequences.

I grant full access permission for user, so Bridge and other applications can write to the cache folder. Everything works fine.

P.S. Bridge CS4 is extremely MUCH BETTER in handling RAWs comparing to slowly Lightroom 2.x! I'm so happy))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That brings up a good point on the cache. If you have the cache on a disk partition with XX amount of space make sure you have significant free space. Some suggest you fill a disk to no more than 75% of capacity. If you are doing large batch processing you will need to make sure you have plenty of free space to accommodate the operations.

If you have the cache on the entire disk make sure you defrag frequently as it can really mess it up quickly with frequent write and erase operations. A fragmented disk will slow down all operations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have plenty of free space (600GB out of 1TB) on my RAID drive and full access to that space so in my case this is probably not the reason. However I tried to limit the thumbs generator to "prefer embedded" instead of "always high quality" - which was default with my installation. Not testing it exhaustively but so far so good - at least memory allocation does not go beyond 500MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2008 Dec 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finnan:
In my case Bridge was unable to write in cache folder due to permission limitation (the user, under which credentials the Bridge was running, had only read permission to that folder). As the result, Bridge was unable to save images on the disk, so it keeps them all in memory

Does this refer to Bridge Preferences, Edit, Preferences, Cache menu "Automatically Export Cache to folders when possible" ?

I've just recently upgraded to CS4 and never had low memory errors, with 4GB of RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2008 Dec 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I did some extensive search in my photo library - and though no low memory error occurred - all other "low memory symptoms" remained. It typically happened after browsing through app. 1000 images and opening in ACR three - four times a batch with 10-20 shots in one session. In each session I did some common corrections (exposure/contrast etc) incl. some not so common - such as applying graduated filters + some local adjustments (curves/hues/masking). Each time (i.e. after a lot of browsing + 4x opening/correcting app. 20 JPGs (each 15 MPx in size] - I ended with the same result:

-Memory usage more than 1 GB,
-no Low memory error (as mentioned earlier)
-ACR stopped responding to more changes applied to the picture - but did not crash or freeze - just did not display any new changes
-Upon return to Bridge the thumbs were not updated (however were updated upon next restart of Bridge)
-Some images (not all) were unavailable for 100% preview.
-Preview mode (CTRL+B) started to react unpredictably not showing some images, dropping some picures instead of moving around etc.

So the result was not a "crashed/frozen" application just no more working as it should. Restart was necessary and obviously helped.
I think it is necessary to put a heavy load on Bridge to reveal this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2008 Dec 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same problem. I have an Intel i7-920 processor with 8 GB memory running on 64-bit Vista. After 15 minutes or so I start getting "memory low" warnings and have to exit and restart Bridge. Symptons are as described by Vlad. The folder has ~600 raw files and I have preferences set to "always high quality."

I know that's a lot of memory, but as someone pointed out it should release the memory when it's not being used; instead usage just keeps going up. Also the folder cache is only 1.3 MB. I sometimes get the low memory warning when opening a single image in ACR. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your cache folder is only 1.3MB I don't see how anything can work. I have my cache on a 40 gig partition (shared with photoshop) and it has 21 gigs filled, and I rarely open more than one RAW file at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my preferences set "to automatically export cache to folders when possible," so the 1.3MB cache file is only for the one folder with ~600 raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am certainly not an expert, but I believe the data is stored in a central cache, even though it may export to folders if indicated. I do not know where the memory goes but even a small collection on photos seems like it takes up 6 gig of cache.

I think the Bridge cache is used as a temp dump for files opened, slide shows, edits, and ?. If you are low on memory as least something to think about. Perhaps with 8 gig of RAM those process are carried out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2009 Jan 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other consideration: LR 2.2 has a well known memory leak associated with the adjustment brush use and with large, multiple file operations of differing kinds. If my memory serves me well, both ACR and LR use the same basic engine under the hood, with obvious differences. They do share the same basic adjustment brush, for instance. So, it is possible that Bridge CS4 also suffers the memory leak problem.

Th adjustment brush in LR2.1 was very slow and jerky--just plain buggy--so when they sped it up in LR2.2, they inadvertenly introduced a memory leak. LR did not have one in 2.1.

For me the adjustment brush is a very weak tool, so I don't use it. I do that sort of work in better applications, like PS for example. I also have no memory problems and I do batch significant numbers of NEF and CR2 files.

These problems are very hard to pinpoint--good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2009 Jan 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The posts by Curt Young and Don Soloman are very timely. First, Curt is right about Bridge storing data in the central cache (...AppData/Local/Adobe/CameraRaw/Cache). My cache was 1.99 GB and preferences were set at the default value to limit the cache size to 2 GB, so it seemed like I had found the problem. I increased the cache size and I had no more memory warnings. At least not for quite a while. Thanks Curt!

A couple hours later I started to use the adjustment brush in ACR and the low memory warnings started again. I can only use the brush on 2 or 3 images before having to exit Bridge and restart. As near as I can tell this is the only time I'm getting the low memory warnings now. I have a 26" monitor and despite a very fast machine the brush is still somewhat slow and jerky on high quality previews. The adjustment brush is a great idea because now I don't have to use PS in my workflow. However, it looks like Adobe needs to do a little more work to make it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2009 Jan 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's definitely and Adjustment Brush issue. My ACR and Bridge were just perfect until yesterday, when for the first time, I began using the adjustment brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2009 Jan 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graduated filter make the same trouble - couple of pictures and LoMem issue is here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2009 Jan 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also getting low memory errors when I try to batch process in ACR (eg convert .cr2 to .jpg). If I load 25 files I'll only get half of them done before it runs out of memory and stops. If I then load 25 more I'll only get 2 or 3 done before I get the low memory error. I have to exit and restart before doing any more.

It seems like these errors are very repeatable by many users. I hope Adobe is reading this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2009 Jan 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are undoubtedly well aware of the memory issues. Both Lightroom and ACR share the same basic engine and both have the memory problem--it has been widely reported and they have acknowledged the memory leak.

The problem is far more crippling on computers with smaller amounts of memory, of course. It makes using the adjustment brush, the grad tool, either LR or ACR, and other file intensive operations, like large exports from LR or batching from ACR, virtually impossible on my older P4 2.4 with two gigs of ram. It is not a problem for me on my Intel 9550 quad, with 8 gigs of ram. However, I seldom ever use the adjustment brush anyway, not because of the leak, but because it is a very primitive tool, comparatively speaking, for local corrections.

Ironically, this memory leak bug was introduced in their attempt to speed up the adjustment brush. Now it is faster and smoother--and works fine, that is if you use it very sparingly, or constantly reboot to get your memory back. I suspect a fix will be released soon--let's hope it doesn't come with another new bug to deal with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2009 Jan 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just installed CS4 ( I am also running cs3) on windows Xp.
I have 4 ram and a nvidia geo force 9800gtx card. I have been having little quirky problems with cs4 ( cs3 continued to work perfectly )
Today a problem has appeared. I opened a raw image and edited it using the adjustment brush , the gradient and converted to black and white. It was after this that the problems occured. A shrt while after opening the file in photoshop cs4 I noticed that the efficiency rating had dropped to 35% ! I closed the file and reopened it in CS3 and the efficiency returned to 100%. I then noticed in Bridge that when I used the loupe on that image the loupe could not focus and a message appeared below the preview picture that"100% not available"
Interstingly the loupe had no problem with NEF images in the same folder. I then went to tools / cache and purged the cache for that folder ... The loupe worked but only for a short while before the same message appeared and the loupe would not focus ...Any thought as to how I can fix this? I would be very grateful fotr any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2009 Jan 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

further to my post of yesterday where I referred to the problem with the loupe in bridge further problems have arisen. If whilst in filmstrip I use the space bar to enlarge the image and then tap the space bar to return the preview to the original size I am unable to view another image in the film strip by clicking on it .. the preview screen remains blank until I slightly adjust the bar which divides the film strip from the preview panel.
Since yesterdays post I have gone to bridges cache and found files called 256, 1024,data and full. I have manually deleted those files but the problem has not gone away.I have also gone to tools and purged the cache from the relevant folder.
The loupe problem does not occur with NEF (raw) images but only with
TIFF images.
I am also getting the message that Bridge is running low on memory and needs to be re started.
I am not batch processing . I have about 150 images in the open folder and I am working on one image at a time.
I would appreciate any help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 22, 2009 Jan 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be more than one problem working at the same time.

Regarding the filmstrip mode problem, that usually is a video card thing. Make sure you have the latest drivers. Clicking on "use software rendering" in advanced preferences can also help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines