Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS3 Bridge Random Crashes

Jul 31, 2007 5:57 AM

I installed CS3 on a newly built system yesterday, and I'm getting random crashes from Bridge.  The system is:<br /><br />MSI 965 Platinum with 4GB of memory<br />xfx8600GT video with the latest nvidia drivers<br />2+ TB of disk space<br />XP 64 with SP2<br /><br />The directories are small - typically 20 or fewer images.  What SEEMS to be occuring is in the thumbnails, although I don't want to state that as a certainty.  In one case I renamed an image in the thumbnail, then moved to a different thumbnail.  When I selected the new thumbnail Bridge disappeared.  No message, no nothing.  Just back to the desktop.<br /><br />In the event viewer I have an application error:<br />Event Id 1000<br />Faulting application bridge.exe, version 2.0.0.975, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x003a003a.<br /><br />Next entry:<br />The application, C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS3\Bridge.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 07/30/2007 @ 14:36:53.875 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 003A003A (<nosymbols>)<br /><br />A bit later it happened again:<br />ID 1000 again<br />Faulting application bridge.exe, version 2.0.0.975, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.3959, fault address 0x0004d233.<br /><br />followed by<br />The application, C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS3\Bridge.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 07/30/2007 @ 15:17:07.328 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7D64D233 (ntdll!RtlValidateHeap)<br /><br />It didn't crash again for several hours of rummaging around.....

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2007 7:44 AM   in reply to hrh gracie
    Your best bet would be to get Tech support on the line. While someone here might be able to troubleshoot those errors, you might have to wait a long time for that to happen, since there is only casual support from the odd Adobe rep visiting here.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2007 5:02 PM   in reply to hrh gracie
    I'm having the same problem. Bridge just disappears for no apparent reason, I'll just be browsing through a shoot and all of a sudden it's gone. It seems to save everything I've done as far as rating pictures, etc, but it just disappears. I haven't check out my event log at this point. Also a shiny new computer, about a month old. 2.something Intel Quad core, 4GB RAM running XP Pro. Happening very frequently, multiple times an hour, getting pretty old...I am generally viewing multiple folders at once when it happens (coolest feature ever), as far as I can remember it hasn't happened when I'm viewing one folder at a time...

We can hope that someone from adobe will see this post jump to our aid. I'll hold my breath...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2007 12:23 PM   in reply to hrh gracie
    Rick and dkperez,

Have you submitted the crash log to Microsoft when the crash occurs? If not, please do so. In addition, you can try sending me (manley at adobe dot com) the Dr. Watson logs. Dr. Watson is a crash logging program that is enabled by default in Windows XP. In the event of a program crash, Dr. Watson will write two files (drwtsn32.log and user.dmp). By default these files are put in C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Microsoft/Dr Watson. (Note that the Application Data folder is a hidden folder, so you may need to go to Tools>Folder Options, View menu and turn on the "Show hidden files and folders" option.) We may be able to glean some information from the logs that might help. Please include details on what you were doing in Bridge at the time of the crash.

Also, Rick you mentioned that you are generally viewing multiple folders at once when the crash occurs. Does that mean you are using the flat view from the Filter panel or something else?

Thanks,
    Julie Manley
    Adobe Bridge QA

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2007 12:35 PM   in reply to hrh gracie
    I'll try to get the Dr.Watson logs tonight. There is no message from XP wanting me to send an error report to Microsoft like when a program normally crashes. The Bridge program simply disappears and the system acts as if nothing ever happened. There's an hourglass, like the system is thinking for a second before the program disappears, but that's about it.

Yes, using the flat view filter, wasn't sure what that was called.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2007 8:05 PM   in reply to hrh gracie
    I had been having the same issue and followed your instructions and did this: clicked Start > All Programs > pressed and held the CTL key BEFORE clicking on Bridge holding it then > Bridge.

A small box pop up with three choices: Purge, Reset Pref & Default Workspace. It warned you would loose all custom presets and return you to default settings; I choose all three options.

Bridge now works.. WooWho! There is still an issue with it locking up when I choose the folders where I downloaded my files via LightRoom 1.1.
    It freezes Bridge and still need to do Ctl-Alt-Del to stop the Bridge.exe process.

Any ideas why this happens?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2007 3:31 PM   in reply to hrh gracie
    I am still having the issue as well, sometimes I can't even finish indexing a shoot before it shuts down...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2007 5:09 PM   in reply to hrh gracie
    I have been having the same issues. Just freezes up regularly and I have to do a ctrl-alt-del to get out. I have sent the reports to MS. For now I just quit using Bridge and have been using Lightroom until there is a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2008 5:01 AM   in reply to hrh gracie
    Hi

I have just installed bridge CS3 on my quad core winXP64 system and found occasions when Bridge freezes when trying to cache subfolders. Even on reboot it seems to lock into the last folder being cached and I can only unfreeze it by renaming that folder temporarily.

Any sugegstions Adobe?

Paulatepc

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2008 2:14 AM   in reply to hrh gracie
    I have also had the same problems with CS3 Bridge, but for me it caused the computer to crash to the blue screen and reboots, as many as seven times in one hour.

To try and overcome the problem I have been in contact with Adobe, the computer supplier, the supplies of the motherboard and graphic card. I have so far managed to improve this so that Bridge is the only programme that crashes from time to time. The faults I have found and corrected are.

Faulty memory modules, I had 2Gb ram, I would suggest testing your modules with memtest86+, this showed I had memory problems, these were replaced three times under warrantee before I had a set that showed no errors.

Virus Software, if your virus software has active file scanning it can cause Bridge to crash, this is because it could be attempting to scan your image at the same time, especially if it is a larger file. To check this disconnecting your internet connection (for protection reasons) then turning off or disable your virus software, then run CS3 and Bridge. Some anti virus software allow you to disable individual functions.

I was advised to reducing the maximum file size the Bridge can handle from the default of 400 mb to 50 mb then work back up to around 200mb, you will need to remove and rebuild your cache.

I was also advised to turn off all of the start up scripts and if that worked turn them back on one at a time until I found the one that caused the problem.

I have not fully resolved my problems., but all of these made a difference and for you any one may resolve the problem with your computer and set up, but do try one thing at a time.

There is one other problem I have noticed with CS3, and I would be interested if anyone else has the same problem.
    Sometimes it does not clear the memory, I find that the longer I am using it the slower everything gets, when checking in the Task Manager the PF usage is showing 2.6gb, even closing CS3 and Bridge does not reduce this, I have to re boot. On other occasion you can see the memory usage reduce as you close an image. Does anyone know why?

As an interesting note, CS2 Bridge works perfectly with CS3, it does not crash on my computer at all. If you have the earlier version, open that first, then CS3, then when you click the Bridge button in CS3 it takes you into the CS2 version because that is already open, not ideal but if you get as frustrated as I was it does at least allow you to work

Best of luck, regards Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2008 6:50 AM   in reply to hrh gracie
    The problem with not releasing memory was pretty much resolved in one of the updates. If you are not using Bridge version 2.1.1.9 then you should consider moving to that version.

Admittedly, I have an older computer, 1.6 GHz processor 1 GB RAM. I have discovered that I need to be in the light table mode with no panels showing in Bridge to apply presets to groups of images. If I have panels showing and highlight a group of images and apply at a preset, Bridge will crash every time. But if I hide all the panels I can complete the job.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2008 1:34 PM   in reply to hrh gracie
    I just installed CS3 on a new Dell Precision T7400 Intel Quad-core system running XP 64-bit with 8 GB RAM. The system was purchased to do heavy lifting in CS3.

I opened Bridge & received a warning that stated:

"This application requires an Intel Pentium 4, Intel Celeron, Intel Core Duo or an Intel Core 2-compatible processor. 0/6/5894

This application may perform poorly. Are you sure that you want to continue?"

I rely heavily on Bridge for image sorting & keywording. I am sending error logs & screen shots to both Adobe & Dell. I am very concerned about this.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2008 2:33 PM   in reply to hrh gracie
    Is there a 64-bit version of CS3 that you need to have? I'm still in the dark ages of 32-bit, so I don't know if that is the case, just a thought...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2008 4:02 AM   in reply to hrh gracie
    The CS3 products are not cleared for use nor supported on XP 64.

Some people manage without problems others don't.

Vista 64 is OK.

There is no 64-bit version of Photoshop.

See http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/2006/12/64_bitswhen.html

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2008 8:31 AM   in reply to hrh gracie
    The Adobe tech note on optimizing performance of Photoshop CS3 seems to indicate support for XP 64. If this were not the case, why would Adobe discuss CS3 memory management under XP 64?

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb401088

It is certainly possible for me to run Vista 64 instead of XP 64, but users are reporting the Bridge processor problem under Vista as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2008 2:12 AM   in reply to hrh gracie
    Mentioning XP64 in that TechNote does not mean PS has been tested and cleared on XP 64!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)