Skip navigation

Adobe Updater hangs, never finishes installing

Nov 15, 2007 3:40 PM

Latest reply: jimmydtx, Apr 8, 2011 11:27 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2008 11:15 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    ] If you want Adobe to hear you complaining in a User to User forum is not the place. Granted the occasional employee pops in but if you really want Adobe to hear you you need to go here and actually make a report.

] http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=7 0

Tha's ma point. Complaining here doesn't do much good. It does however gather user disgruntledness in one large package that Adobe would be well-advised to pay attention to. Or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2008 11:56 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    OK there are 12 people who seem to be having problems in this thread not very many people compared to the 100s of 1000s that work just fine. I realize its frustrating but this may have nothing to do with Adobe at all and may just be a poorly maintained computer.

I have run all the updates with no problems what so ever.

Dual core G5 / 10.4.11

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2008 12:10 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    So you care about this thread because...?

At least two of the people in this thread have issues on new hard drives being setup for the first time with Leopard and CS3. I wouldn't call that a poorly maintained computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2008 1:03 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Leopard is another story as its broken out of the box. Until Apple fixes it Adobe can't do anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2008 3:22 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Buko said:

"(...)this may have nothing to do with Adobe at all and may just be a poorly maintained computer.

I have run all the updates with no problems what so ever."

So when I receive a brand new iMac from Apple, with Leopard installed, and do a fresh installation of CS3 before anything else (just to check if the problem is eventually solved), and it still doesn't work, it's because of a "poorly maintained computer"?

Or, six months earlier, I unpacked my brand new MacBook Pro with Tiger, did the same thing - with the same result. Was that also because of a "poorly maintained computer"?

In fact I did just the same a few weeks before that, on a freshly configured MacBook Pro 17" machine borrowed from Apple Computer for testing purposes. The same problem with auto updating Adobe CS3.

A "poorly maintained computer"?

Frankly, I think your proposal is worthless.

Adobe has a real, real problem. And Adobe knows it. But it still doesn't communicate.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2008 3:26 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Have you reported to Adobe with the link I supplied a few posts back?

Did you see the Leopard is broken post?

I have no problems so I find your report worthless.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2008 4:16 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Here is the response I received from Adobe Support:

Hello Robert,

Thank you for contacting Adobe® Web Support for assistance with Adobe
    Design Premium® CS3.

I understand that when you try to update your applications it will
    download the update, but hangs on install.

Try running the update while in Safe Boot by following step eight in the
    following document. If that does not resolve the issue, try a new
    administrative user account by following step twelve. You may want to
    try combining the two steps if the updates still will not install.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb401517

If it is still not working try going into Root User, to get into Root
    User account do the following.

1. Go into Applications->Utilities and launch the "Directory Utility"
    2. Click the Lock button and authenticate to make changes.
    3. Go to Edit -> Enable Root. If this is the first time root has been
    enabled it should prompt you to set a new password.
    4. Log out and then log back in to Other and type in the User Name as
    root and the root password.

You can also update manually from www.adobe.com and in the top menu bar
    go to downloads and then updates. Choose the program that you want to
    update from the drop down list and find the update you are looking for.

If you require further assistance with this issue, please update your
    web case with complete details, including what steps you have applied
    and any error messages you are receiving.

You may also call Technical Support at 800-642-3623. We are available
    from 6:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday - Friday, Pacific Time.

Kind regards,

Matt M.

Adobe Web Support

I was able to manually download and install the update for Acrobat Professional.
    The InDesign update worked - I think. It just ended without any "update complete" message, but InDesign appears to have been updated and working.
    Tried to update Illustrator and that just crashed immediately. I gave up after that.

Buko: I used the link you provided to report a bug. I agree that customers need to voice their concerns through the proper channels to get attention. Hopefully others will do the same.

In my response to support's response - I outlined my troubles manually downloading. We'll see what comes back. I honestly don't want to start mucking around with roots and users and permissions and then keep my fingers crossed to see if updates will take.

If anyone wants to give the above suggestions a try, let me know what worked or didn't.
    Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2008 2:57 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Brief update:
    I guess persistence pays off. Tried the manual download route again and have updated all of my CS3 apps with the exception of Bridge and Version Que (will try those sometime today).
    I think my trouble with Illustrator was that I did not do the updates in sequence. I mistakenly thought that the updates were cumulative. Once I did them in order all worked as expected.

At least for me this points to an Adobe issue with their Updater not a Leopard issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2008 3:37 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    I did an upgrade install of CS3 Standard (design edition) on another user's computer yesterday. Intel box OS 10.4x, 2 proc, 2 G RAM, 120G drive, lots of scratch space. The install and subsequent update of all Adobe components went on without a hitch. Slow, but no hangs, no glitches.

I think it's obvious that some users are having issues, related to Leopard and the updater. Early in the process, the Updater itself was updated. This may have fixed the issue at least on Tiger, but I'm leery of trying it on Leppard. Best to leave well enough alone. if it's working great.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2008 7:24 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Wow, I have the exact same. 100% clean install of Leopard, updated Leopard to 10.5.2 and did a clean install of CS3. Update will hang!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2008 8:21 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Uh ... the Adobe Updater just basically blows.

We have to update the updater? ... before continuing!?
    We have to quit all your web browsers (hint: they weren't even open), click continue to quit them and proceed?!
    We can't update Acrobat because you've changed your installation (yes I removed the PDF internet plug-in because the built-in PDF viewer is faster and better for my needs).

The latest updates to CS3 have been running for three hours (after quitting the Acrobat update due to reason above).

This is dual G5, Tiger 10.4.11

Am hesitant to run updates on my Leopard Mac Book Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2008 9:34 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    I ended up letting them run as another user suggested, and they eventually finished. I have no idea how long as I set them to run before I went to sleep. But they did eventually complete, on both a MacBook & PPC G4.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2008 2:34 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    "Why it takes so long, and why it's a CPU hog is beyond me."

It's not beyond me. I know exactly why. If you've ever paid attention to the system.log during the patching like I have, you'll notice that for ever file patched, the script performs at least 5 checksumming operations, which are rather CPU intensive. Therefore, it takes a small eternity to process the several hundred files it needs to patch, but it does eventually get done.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2008 11:19 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Yeah, Leopard is the issue Buko. Let me educate you...Leopard is NOT the issue. Adobe is. They didn't get the memo regarding Apple switching to the AT&T version of UNIX thereby making some of the hard coded UNIX commands obsolete.

On to the lunacy. When they name the actual installation applications differently from one app to another IN THE SAME SUITE of tools...for instance...inside the AfterEffect update, it's called RIBSWrapper, inside Illustrator it's called AdobePatcher. That is idiotic and asinine. The same for their "Enterprise" deployment instructions. They suck. They are not consistent. They obviously have no Project Manager to manage naming conventions or file placement during application installer creation.
    A GLARING example of their ineptitude is the Enterprise Silent Install command line. The -Silent switch doesn't work. It has to be --Silent. Then it works fine...except Acrobat Pro. It is NOT silent and requires user interaction both to start it and finish even though it's SUPPOSED to be silent and transparent to the user. It cant even find the application it's trying to update, you have to point it to the Adobe Pro app...when it's done, in order for the next update to kick off, you have to OK the first update that it's done. This is grade school programming errors.

Dont get me started on the CS3 Web Premium and Design Premium silent install issues...that was it's OWN debacle of Super Bowl proportion.

A huge black eye for Adobe and their Mom and Pop thinking when trying to be an enterprise player.
    Suggestion for CS4...hire a Project Manager who manages PROJECTS...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2008 9:59 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Don't get mad at me because I didn't update to Leopard and don't have any problems.

All I know is Tiger works fine and the thing that breaks CS3 is Leopard.

If you are in a production environment and you don't have to use Leopard don't.

If you are stuck with new computers I feel sorry for you.

And if you guys are such wiz bang programers why don't you apply for a job at Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2008 11:28 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    To "some " of you posters that can't read. I support close to 50 Macs. Most still running OS 10.4.10. I have seen the problem on all. So it is not an OS 10.5.x issue.

Funny, CS2 Updater on these same Macs have no issue. Adobe screwed up and won't admit it, or can't figure out how to fix it.

One thing I have noticed. The CS3 Premium version worked fine on the only 2 Macs I installed it on. All my problems were the "Standard" version. So please check which one you are using and post back here. It could be the Standard version is the only one with issues. Just guessing for now.

Launch Activity Monitor during the upgrade process, look at "All Processes". You will be amazed at how many times the Adobe updater or Patcher freezes. Just look for the red item.
    Something is seriously wrong.

This happens on PowerMac G5, iMac G5, PowerBook G4 and MacBooks. The MacBooks are the only OS 10.5 Macs.

I hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2008 11:51 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    It seems that the problems are varying for people, but for me it has always been the same (since CS2): Adobe Updater stops after a shorter or longer time with an error message saying it can't complete the update. I have only used Premium versions.

This has been reality for med on PowerBook G4, eMac G4, iMac 2,4 GHz Intel, two MacBook Pro 17" (one of them still in my office with unresolved problem). OS versions have been both 10.4.x, 10.5.x and earlier. All with the same problem. Some of the machines have been completely fresh installs (OS and CS3, some have had updated OS, but fresh CS3 installs). One or two have had localized Norwegian systems, most have had US English systems.

So, it seems to be independent of hardware and OS versions. Also, indepent of Standard or Premium, CS2 or CS3. Very, very strange.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2008 5:31 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Could it have something to do with the internet connection?

I have a DSL line.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2008 5:42 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    I don't understand how. At my home office I use a DSL line with 20 MBps download limit. I regularly download large files of several 100 MBs without problems. I have also tried to get the Adobe Updater to work when I travel, with the same result.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2008 5:49 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Just a stab in the dark.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2008 6:38 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Same company, same Internet connection, CS2 updates just fly on the download and install.

Just did another PowerBook G4 this morning. Same, very slow. The only thing that helped was in the Updater Details, I would only select at most 3 updates at a time. That appeared to help because once downloaded, only 3 patches could launch simultaniously. Why Adobe is doing this multiple patch launch is beyond me.
    I've actually had the Activity Monitor open, watched the first patch open and start updating. It will be moving along very quickly, then you will see a second or a third updater or patcher launch, at this point it bogs down to ridiculus slow speed and usually one or more or them change to RED and you have to force quit.

Same exact Mac, CS2 has no issues.
    This is on OS 10.4.10.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2008 8:17 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    for me all patches have been fast except the last Illustrator update which slowed to a crawl and took about 45 minutes to download and install.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2008 4:25 PM   in reply to (Tim_Devereaux)
    Tim (post #56),

One of the cardinal rules of operating system development is that you don't arbitrarily and capriciously make "changes" that effectively kill upward application compatibility. If indeed one of the issues is that Apple changed from one type off Unix-like command to a version that is more compatible with AT&T's System V Unix but is incompatible with existing command usage, then the problem is squarely in Apple's court.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2008 7:42 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    >One of the cardinal rules of operating system development is that you don't arbitrarily and capriciously make "changes" that effectively kill upward application compatibility.

One of the cardinal rules of application development is that you don't make system calls that the OS developer has specifically told you might change or has informed you are depricated. Unless you know for sure which of these two has happened, you cannot claim whose court the problem is "squarely in."

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2008 7:45 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    As for my Adobe Updater problem, it hangs on launch as it is checking for updates to itself. After more basic troubleshooting issues yielded nothing, I installed Little Snitch which is functioning properly as it is catching network requests from other apps. However, when I launch Adobe Updater....nothing. Adobe Updater never even attempts to access the network on any port. Has anyone seen this or have an idea of how to troubleshoot? I tried copying an older version of Adobe Updater (5.0.0.316 as opposed to 5.1.0.1082) from another Mac and that one immediately reports "No updates available" after it too never attempts to access the network. This is on Leopard 10.5.2, brand new Mac, brand new everything so it's unlikely to be anything legacy or corruption.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2008 8:50 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Adobe does not use undocumented system calls. On the other hand, an operating system developer / supplier should not be doing wholesale deprecation of system calls since that effectively kills upward application compatibility. And that is what Apple continues to do making it near impossible to support more than the current version of their operating system with a single set of code. Even in Windows, although Microsoft highly discourages its use, you can still use and depend upon older GDI calls from Windows 3.1 and Windows'95.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2008 5:09 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    There is more than just this one thead with others complaining of this exact same bug:

Buko, "Adobe Updater Glitch after 10.5.2" #6, 3 Mar 2008 9:19 am

carlpaquette, "Adobe Updater hangs, never finishes installing" #20, 29 Dec 2007 5:02 pm

Yes, I am having this updater hang problem.

Yes, I have tried every suggestion made by Adobe technical support and both forums.

No, nothing works, the adobe updater cannot make it all the way through the entire master collecton patch process without crashing on some random application and corrupting the app that it crashes on.

The only thing tech support told me to try was to install on a hard drive smaller than 500 gigabytes and see if it fixed it.

For those who have problems, how big is your hard drive?

My specs:
    MacPro (8 core)
    8gb ram
    1tb hd
    osx 10.5.2

I AM SHOCKED THAT THIS BUG HAS BEEN COMPLAINED ABOUT FOR 5 MONTHS??

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2008 5:10 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    oops, double-post when the web forum crashed while I was complaining about the software that crashed. LOL!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2008 5:49 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    >I AM SHOCKED THAT THIS BUG HAS BEEN COMPLAINED ABOUT FOR 5 MONTHS??

to other users, have you bothered telling Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2008 10:56 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Adobe, please get your sh** together and fix this. This is not acceptable performance for your products. I have now spent the better part of the day running your updater and installing 500+ MB of updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2008 11:46 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Ben complaining in a user to user forum is not addressing Adobe please use their bug report form.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2008 3:42 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Bug report form? I cannot find it at Adobe Support. Anyone who can help?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2008 4:18 PM   in reply to (Toralf_Sandåker)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2008 8:47 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Thanks for all the other very helpful posts.

100% clean install of Leopard, updated Leopard to 10.5.2 and did a clean install of CS3 Production Premium. Adobe updater when it runs will hang the machine.

My computer is a new Apple (4/2/08) MacPro 8 core 2.8Ghz 4 Gig and 1TB HD. Brand new... and was reinstalled with OS X 10.5.2 several times so far in this effort. Brand new CS3 from Adobe (4/2/08). No other software installed.

I have had some progress using the root user manual update install method. Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/collection.jsp?collID=1&platf orm=Macintosh) posts manual installs for a number of the elements contained in CS3, however, not for all the ones needed. I find the successful manual root user install of some modules seems to affect the Adobe updaters' ability to install the other missing and needed modules. It is as though the updater can't install needed modules because it crashes on several of them. The root manual install of these elements enables the updater to move past these points and deal with the rest. Note that updater is run from the regular user account. Sounds like software right?

I also find inconsistency in the root user manual install of the adobe manual install modules. They will hang, sometimes, but not every time, and are not repeatable, for example the root install of FLASH 9.0.2 updater hung the computer twice but not the third time. Sounds like hardware right? A hang as I am describing it, does not respond to a forced quit and requires the power button to be held in.

Also it is necessary, as one of the posts suggests, to wait a very long time to see if the install is actually hung or not. It may "hang" an hour or more and then finish.

Also some updates, that run, don't seem to change anything, they run like they are, but if you look at the file size and revision numbers of the applications they don't. However, once it runs, it changes the updaters' behavior... Here I mean that the updater does not crash in the same place or on the same module...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2008 5:16 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    I'm using a Powerbook G4, running Leopard with Creative Suite 3 Premium and it's definitely not Leopard that is the issue (although I think we all know that!) I had the problem before I upgraded to Leopard - and before I upgraded to CS3 as well! I was hoping the upgrade to CS3 was going to fix the problem but it didn't - still the same.

However - I see most of you have the problem where the updater hangs the machine - mine will actually download the updates, it just won't install them - I get an dialog box with an error telling me that there was an error (funny that) and would I like to try again or stop and continue later. When choosing 'stop installing...' it will move onto the next update - and same problem. If I hit cancel it just goes away - I don't have any hangs or crashes.

I also have a MacBook Pro and no problem with it at this stage. That came clean with Leopard and there was no previous CS software on it.

I have posted my bug report with Adobe and gave them a piece of my mind at the same time. I love the 'thank you' screen when you submit

'Thanks for your feedback! Requests and suggestions from our customers are what help us to continue creating cutting-edge, world-class software.'

Cutting Edge? World Class? I think most other companies can manage to resolve a problem when it's been around for this long....

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)