This happened to me a few times so I repaired permissions, restarted and tried again. It appeared to stall again in the usual spot about 7/8 through the install so I thought I'd just surf for solutions while it was sitting there and it magically finished after about a half hour sitting in the same spot. Who knows.
OK, so I was bitten by this when I tried to install CS3 on my brand new MacBook Pro. Most of the updates installed - after much waiting - but the lllustrator 13.0.1 patch just hung time after time. After many uninstall/reinstalls, and trying just about every trick found here on the forum and elsewhere on the Intertubes, I started to troubleshoot it myself.
Soon I found evidences that pointed towards a "bspatch" process, and after learning about what that is I started to suspect that the Adobe updater is using a version of bspatch that is not compatible with Snow Leopard, Intel Macs, or the combination thereof. So I replaced the bspatch provided by Adobe (found deep inside their updater application) with the bspatch already installed in MacOS and tried to apply the update once more.
Lo and behold! Never before had I seen an Adobe installation work so fast!! Almost the same speed as any other installation I've seen!
Inspired by the success with the 13.0.1 update, I did the same thing with the 13.0.2 update, and is now a very happy camper. (Well, as happy as can be when Ilustrator crashes immediately after start one time out of three...)
Here is what I did:
1. Download the Illustrator 13.0.1 updater from adobe.com, and double-click the downloaded disk image file (.dmg)
2. Copy the AdobePatcher application from the disk image to the desktop (or somewhere else on your hard drive)
3. Right-click on the copy of AdobePatcher, and choose "Show Package Contents"
4. In the window that is opened, open the folder "Contents" and then "Resources"
5. In the Resources folder, right-click "PatcherApplication", and choose "Show Package Contents"
6. In the window that is opened, open the folder "Contents" and then "Resources"
Same issue with one of my systems and the Device Central 'fix' resolved the issue. I basically just launched Device Central, mucked with some of the settings, quit the program, and continued (it was still running) the Adobe Updater installation. It loaded in seconds!
Launching Acrobat after a clean install often gives a message that Photoshop or some other CS component needs to be run first. So, it appears that the Suite does need to be 'initialized.' Perhaps, Adobe Updater needs that, as well. It would be nice if it also gave you a heads up!