• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash Player freezing up when trying to download Digital Edition

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2008 Aug 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried many times to download Adobe Digital Editions but everytime I try Adobe Flash Player helper freezes up. I click on download, then the little circle starts spinning (while its trying to connect) and then it freezes. After this happens I can't even close the window...I have to go to windows task manager to close out the window. However if I disable the Adobe Flash Player helper then I can close the window like normal.

I'm using Vista SP1.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 04, 2008 Aug 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a similar issue in this technote, but it's not exactly the same as yours. The workaround, however, will solve your problem:

Adobe Digital Editions does not install on Windows Vista
http://www.adobe.com/go/kb403051

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player/Digital Editions
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2008 Aug 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that worked...thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2008 Sep 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump for 1.6 fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't something that's fixable inside of Digital Edition's code itself. It's something that happens pretty sporadically and involves the technology behind the Flash Player's 'lightning installer' (that installs stuff in the background). That's all outside of ADE itself.

I think if I could get one savvy customer to put in a good testing effort I might be able to figure it out, but it wouldn't necessarily be easy or quick. If you're interested open a case and let me know..

To open a Digital Editions 1.5 Technical Support case, please use the contact links at http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions.

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seems that the easiest solution for now would be to post a direct dl link for the file and then let us use the same method as is outlined in the KB article for Vista install issues. That would at least help many of us for the time being.<br /><br />KB article-----------------------<br />Manually install Adobe Digital Editions: <br /><br />Make the AppData folder visible:<br /><br />Click Start > Control Panel, and then click Classic View. <br />Double-click Folder Options, and then click the View tab. <br />Click Show Hidden Files and Folders. <br />Click OK. <br />Create the digitaleditions1x5 folder in the following location (your computer may already have this folder):<br />C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\digitaleditions1x5.<br />(<username> is your user name on the machine you are using. For example, msmith). <br />Download the Digital Editions EXE file. <br />Decompress the ZIP file and save to any location. <br />Place the executable file in the previously created digitaleditions1x5 folder. <br />Launch the digitaleditions1x5 application. The application will update the registry as needed. <br />Launch Digital Editions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already done, see my other posts (same technote you go the above text from)

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bentley that technote is only good if you're trying to install version 1.5. I went back to the same technote and downloaded the zip file and it is still 1.5. Can we get a zip file for 1.6??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file says 1x5 but it actually is version 1x6. I downloaded it and replaced the old 1x5 file in my digital folder with the one in the zip file dated 9/08/2008 and now digitaleditions works and says its actually version 1.6.934

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 17, 2008 Sep 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE read the technote entirely.

The note in the technote that says "this text is correct for 1.6.. the file names will show 1x5". that's just how it works. there will never be an actual 1x6 file structure on your machine. The zip and the step are absolutely correct.

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2008 Sep 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright it worked. At first I downloaded the file but forgot to replace the old file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2008 Dec 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been prompted at several sites to download the latest version of Adobe FlashPlayer, which must be the digital edition. When I get to your site, my computer freezes, and I can do nothing there, not even close out the window. I have to use the task manager to close the site. I use Windows XP. Is there any way I can download this? Thanks, Marilyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2008 Dec 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have been prompted at several sites to download the most recent version of Adobe FlashPlayer. When I get to your webpage, my computer freezes up and I can't even get off the page without using the task manager. I have Windows XP. Is there any way I can download this new version? Marilyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines