Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Error - Document is licensed for a different user account

Sep 26, 2008 6:20 AM

Keeping getting error message "Document is licensed for a different user account". Have tried reinstalling, tried deleting from library and bringing back in, opened webcase 4 months ago (no response) and again today (doubt I'll get response).

Any advice?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 26, 2008 8:06 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)
    Rich, please post that case numbers and I'll get somebody on it.

Usually this is a failure in the process of migrating existing anonymous content over to named activation (which happens when you first install Digital Editions). It can be a real pain to solve though.. :(

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
    Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player/Digital Editions
    Adobe

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2008 7:41 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)
    Hi, I have the same problem and the solution is urgent!! do you have some solution for this issue?

Thanks!!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2008 8:12 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)
    Rich,

Here's what I see on the activation server..

On your per*** account you show three activations of Digital Editions, all with one fingerprint (which means they were all on the same machine).

Now, on the yahoo account you don't show any activations. I'm going to ask a senior agent to take over the case and I'm going to provide him with some steps to test..

Carlos, you should open a web case please.

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
    Adobe

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2008 1:16 PM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)
    I am having the same issue. What is the process to follow to get this fixed?

I was on the phone with Customer Service then Tech Support then Customer Service then Second Line Support the Customer Service... Makes me wonder how much they are actually saving moving the call center to India????

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2008 7:37 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)
    There is no phone support for Digital Editions. Someone should have told you that.. sorry :(

All tech support is webcase only..

To open a Digital Editions 1.5 Technical Support case, please use the contact links at http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions.

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
    Adobe

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2008 9:07 PM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)
    I hate this new upgrade. I sympathize with you, Bentley, for having to listen to all of our complaints. I was having the same problem as rich so I looked at all the suggested solutions: going into regedit and reauthorizing the computer (did this five times), deleting and reinstalling all adobe programs and trying to reopen, deleting library and trying to reload books, etc. Nothing works. The site is down for maintenance so I cannot open a ticket.

I am in the middle of a book and am very frustrated. I Don't want to rebuy the book as I have already paid for the one I am being currently locked out of. In addition, all of my other books no longer work so I am out the money I paid for those too. It doesn't sound like this problem is going to be solved anytime soon. However, I am already turned off the idea of using adobe. I've contacted the online bookstore I purchased my ebooks from as well about the problems I've been having. Also, I have asked them to convert my books to microsoft reader as it looks like this is a faster solution to my problems. Unhappy consumers make for unhappy retailers who take it out on the company that put out the crap update prematurely.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2008 3:05 PM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)
    Case #0180597792 is the same thing. I have an assignment due and cannot access the book due to "Document is licensed for a different user account" I used it as most recently as last night with no issue. Is there a quick fix?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2008 11:58 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)
    I am having the same issue. Could someone please guide me as to how to get it fixed. I also need to transfer this book to my new laptop, But first want to solve the user account issue and be able to at least access the book I have already paid for.

Please help!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2008 7:55 PM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)
    Here is the Case # 0201561286. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling digital edition as well, but still has the same error message.
    Please, is there a fix to this. I can't afford to loose all the money I spent on this book.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2009 8:23 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)
    Document is licensed for a different user account

I didn't know that by refusing to send anonymous information it would totally lock me out. I can't even change it or reinstall it to change it back to the way it was.

Now I got at least 4 books that are DRM that I can't open. Has ANYBODY resolved this issue yet?

Or is Adobe going to reimburse us for this? Because the only way I have most of my training and reference manuals is in this format.

I'm on a Mac 10.5.6
    My current version of Digital Editions is 1.7

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2009 7:00 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)
    is there an answer to "Document is licensed for a different user account". I've read this book before, then I had to reload digital editions and now the above message appears. It is the same computer and I am the only user.

If this can't be resolved I will never purchase another pdf formatted book.

I find digital editions to be difficult to use. The black background and small font are not easy for older people to see.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2009 11:03 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)
    This is starting to really tick me off. Adobe really sucks. I have well over $500 worth of books that are downloaded and now can't be opened and I cannot upload new books because it is saying it is licensed for a different user account.

I know I want a fix to this now, as well does everyone else out there. If you can not fix it, please let me know so I can send you the bill for my books that are unreadable on your system.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2009 6:32 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)

I have the same issue of opening the .pdf file. Are they (Adobe Support) looking into this issue right now? It seems to me that Adobe is so dump to let this happen. You must have a bad team of QA!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2009 2:43 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)

I have the same issue, after "Forced" upgrade of Adobe, I am unable to read my ebooks. I get message "document is licensed for different user account". I opened a support case with Adobe and this is what I got back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------

We regret to inform you that our support for Adobe Digital Edition
    version is only for download and installation issue. If the problem is
    already pass the point of downloading and installation, I'm afraid we
    can only refer you to visit the Adobe Digital Edition Support Website to
    find information about this free program. You may reach this webpage
    using this URL: http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/

Another avenue where we can lead you to, to find additional information
    about Digital Edition is through the Adobe User-to-User Forums.
    (http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/).

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------

S oessentially, I am forced to upgrade, but they will not fix their faulty software.

Hope someone can help me.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2009 4:46 AM   in reply to khoithinh

Have you had any luck finding a solution to the problem.  I'm another victim suffering from an inability to access any of my ebooks?  I'm on Mac OS and would appreciate any advice.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2009 12:55 AM   in reply to Cathierb

nope, no lock so far, have a case opened with Adobe, but nothing from them so far.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2009 7:35 PM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)

Same problem (case#0180912946- still not heard anything), any closer to a solution here? These ebooks are more expensive than the discount real books!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2009 1:08 AM   in reply to nobody200071

I'm having this same problem too. And it looks like Adobe is not even bothered to resolve this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2009 4:33 AM   in reply to sumaylee

No, they are not.  I had a response back to my case basically saying

it's not their problem I have to go to the ebook supplier - QUITE

FRANKLY ADOBE HAVE BEEN UTTERLY USELESS.

Anyway, I'm lucky.  I only had two suppliers of ebooks, I contacted

their online helplines (VERY MUCH MORE HELPFUL THAN ADOBE I MUST SAY,

and agreed with them in writing that to solve the problem I could

redownload my books if I deleted them off my computer CHECK WITH YOUR

EBOOK SUPPLIERS BEFORE YOU DELETE ANYTHING JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE

SIDE.  So I've deleted the whole Adobe Digital Editions stuff and my

entire library, reluctantly reinstalled it and redownloaded the ebooks

from my suppliers - sorry, I know that doesn't solve the problem for

many people, I'm obviously one of the lucky ones but maybe you can

salvage something.

Needless to say I'm looking around for a different eReader now, with

reasonable support.  Check out this site, they supply independent info

on a lot of the eReaders about.

www.whichebook.com

Good luck.

2009/5/7 sumaylee <forums@adobe.com>:

I'm having this same problem too. And it looks like Adobe is not even bothered to resolve this problem.

>

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2009 7:41 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)

Add another one to the list !!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2009 11:45 PM   in reply to Wheely64

I recently had to get a new hard drive and now I am getting this message. I had just purchased several books and hadn't gotten to read them yet. Is there a solution yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2009 7:45 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)

Hey Adobe -

Next time I need to purchase books for school, can I just send you a check instead. Or maybe I will just flush the money down the toilet. That will save the time of installing useless software.  Who has time to chase down Adobe Support for this Digital Editions scam??

Thanks for nothing.

- BooklessStudent

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2009 6:13 PM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)

Wow, Guess what problem I'm having.  So basically, the pdf book that I have is useless then?

Is there a fix to this stupidity, because I can't call adobe.  I waited for 1 hour on the phone and it was lovely elevator music.

Why don't you guys just keep it in the standard pdf format.  I've installed/uninstalled authorized/unauthorized like 20 times.  No luck

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2009 8:10 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)

1)  If you created an Adobe ID after the installation was completed (and after downloading books)  the documents that existed before are tied to the"Unauthorized" computer activation - or if you changed your Adobe ID mid-way through   - thus when you active the Adobe ID the following error will occur:  

Error - Document is licensed for a Different User Account  (Un-license your machine by removing the Adobe ID via:          ctrl+shift+D)

** This fix was provided by another user who also was on this forum previously (Thank you)

Also be aware that Adobe Digital Editions does clearly tell the user "when they Activate" the Adobe ID - Confirmation request appears and "Warns" that if any documents are associated to the Ditital Editions Library on the Computer - they will no longer be readable.  - It prompts for "replacement" - once you do this - your documents are no longer usable. 

2) For the User who has uninstalled and re-installed and continues to receive errors - there is a reason behind it - the software does not cleanly remove all pieces from the machine - thus just "uninstalling" the software is not enough - the following procedure was written for Windows machines. 

If your trying to matain previous downloads of EPUB / EBOOKS - complete a back-up of your files

-  Back up your documents that are located in the c:\data\My Digital Editions or c:\my documents\My Digital Editions (in some cases you may have to search for the My Digital Editions directory  -

1)  Uninstall Adobe Digital Editions using one of these two methods:
                   Start > Programs > Adobe > Adobe Digital Editions >Uninstall

OR
                   Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add Remove Programs

2)  Initiate Uninstall
           In order to remove all remenants of Adobe Digital Editions / Adobe Adept from the machine a "Registry Edit" will need to be
    performed:
                   Start > Run > Regedit
                           Search for HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Adobe> Adept and Delete the full "Adept" folder
                                   Remove only the structures that are under the "SOFTWARE" extensions. This will remove the Adobe ID / License
    and Activation Keys

3)  Clear any outstanding tasks that may be associated to Adobe Digital Editions downloads
                           C:\data\my digital editions
                           C:\my documents\my digital editions
                                           Delete any documents within these folders:
                                                   Restore > Tasks
                                                          Restore > Failed

4)  Delete all items in the Recycle Bin on the computer - and Reboot the machine

5) Re-install Adobe Digital Editions by obtaining the Download Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.1 Installer
    for Windows from documents - kb403051 (which is the digitaleditions1x7x1.exe installer)  -   After locating the fix document - download the *exe file to your local computer

6)  Install from the location machine - running the *exe - Take all the defaults (do not change any of the installation settings).  Once digital editions installation is completed - Open Digital editions and the Setup Assistant will pop-up  -  This time utilize the "Do Not Authorize" option on the Setup Assistant

7)  After the installation has completed on the machine - take the EBooks / PDF's and place them back into the My Digital Editions directory

Open Digital Editions and click on the "Library" > Add Item to Library -  This will default to the My Digital Editions directory -  Select a book to add to the library -  Validate that the file will open.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2009 12:03 PM   in reply to lindab8728

I followed the user-posted resolution to the letter, but am still unable to access my textbook (which is divided into two parts, but neither is accessible).  I just got a new computer, and didn't realize that when I transferred my digital book I would no longer be able to open it.  I agree with all the other posters--the lack of support on this obviously widespread issue is inexcusable.  If you are going to put out a proprietary program that many students are having to use for their digital textbooks, then for goodness sake, make it work!  How can you implement a program like this, and not offer any post-installation support for it??  That's unheard of!  I believe all us students and other consumers who have this issue need to band together for a civil suit against Adobe, and demand our money back--plus compensation for all the time and energy wasted, as well as the aggravation we've suffered.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2009 1:31 PM   in reply to jslou67

There are a couple of things that you have to remember here

1)  Adobe's software is just that - software.  We've all dealt with Good and Bad software

2)  The company your downloading your documents from should be able to supply some level of support - espically since they are selling you the documents

3)  Adobe's support may not be great or even still "there" - but there are plenty of things that users should do when they work with the software to install it

a)  Read the information provided on the screen

b)  Note that after you installed Adobe Digital Editions - and you decide to "Register" with an Adobe ID / Password - post document download - that a warning screen is provided to the user - asking you if you really want to continue.

c)  Make sure that you have information or at least additional assistance provided by the Company your downloading your Documents from - Adobe isn't forcing these companies to DRM wrap their documents - but Adobe does supply the "Reader" required to read them.  So the company selling the documents should be able to assist you in getting your documents downloaded.

4)  Just because one thing works for one or two users - it doesn't mean that it will work in all circumstances for everyone else.

In your case you "Changed" computers - dependant on the "DRM stamp" associated to the Document you downloaded - it could be set to only be opened on the specific computer that you downloaded the "original" document to -  This is not Adobe's problem -  This is a "Digital" encrypted / signed document that was "tied" to the computer you had it on -  Meaning that you should probably address this issue with the Company you brought the document from and let them know the circumstances and see if they can assist you on obtaining your documents.

If the Company that sold the document to you "locked" it and it was working just fine before on the other Computer - technically Adobe can't be blamed for the Rights the company tied to the document.

Sorry, as much as the Software can be a pain, you have to take the time to "Inform" yourself.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 4:42 PM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)

Ok. So I know this is late, but I have the same problem. I ended up buying the same book twice, and it still never worked for adobe digital edition. HOWEVER, I DID go on the Barnes and Noble website and they have a program that can be downloaded (I am sure you can find it somewhere else too) called eReader. This works for epub files. It isn't the best, but it isn't bad either. eReader can be for ipad, ipod, pc, laptop, whatever....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 8:12 PM   in reply to BWolfe [ADOBE]

Several years later, here are the case n

umbers - same situation: 01

81618851, CH281068

10, ch21131133, 02

03526092 -

all the same problem, and all "resolved" by some

non-speaking English speaker who can't und

erstand a simple problem. I try to download a book from

a local library and get the above message. Erase, delete and

reinstall with the same result. I would be willing to pay, who

asked for free, but I would like something that allows me to

read, free, books forom my local library.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2010 8:04 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)

Well, for all the people who have posted here pointing out that you had to click on an understanding that your books might not work after you

activated your Adobe account, this is not the case in my situation.  I activated my account before I downloaded any books, I have since added 70 or 80 books, I have not changed anything on my computer.  I have one account, one copy of Adobe, and a Nook.  Each time I open the DE software it gives me this warning message, usually for some files I haven't looked at or activated.  It seems to be creating new files that are associated with ,pdf books I have downloaded to my Nook and naming them something similar, then telling me there is an error associated with the file.  I have tried deleting the files but they reappear next time I open the program.

I also had a long list of files with numbers instead of names.   Each of them said either error or missing next to the information.  I deleted them all and then discovered that this removed the downloaded books (through Barnes and Noble) from the Nook.

Adobe DE is also hard to use due to everything being flash based instead of menu based.  There aren't many options to do things the way you want to do them.

In my opinion this program is not worth much and I will be looking for an alternative.  It is too bad that B&N recommended this program when I bought my Nook.  I hope switching programs will not cause me to lose anything on the Nook.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2010 8:23 AM   in reply to heresolong

Thank you for your response.

I finally found download remnants ? or whatever from my attempts to download books from my local library. These, hidden as they were, interferred with

my attempts to download my purchases from BN and from other purchase sites. Appeals to Adobe were akin to my requests for Divine Guidance. I agree that technology should be available forproblems like this, even if one had to pay a reasonable one-time fee.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2010 11:21 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)

I have the same problem, I purchased a Bebook Neo, 1 week ago and installed ADE authorized computer, did everything right. Downloaded lots of free books, had no problems transfering them onto ADE. Then I bought 2 books from Ebook.com, downloaded and transfered to ADE still no problem. Then I bought books from Barnes&Noble, downloaded just fine, but when I tried to transfer to ADE, I got this message:Document is licensed for different user".Have followed suggestions of uninstall and reinstall, did not work. deauthorized, did not work. Have talked to tech support, not sure if their english is up to the task.Have opened web case, but still no solutions. Does anybody know what to do, please help.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2010 7:52 AM   in reply to wildpudel

In last gasp attempt, with Nook and downloads from BN plus local library., I

deleted every remnant of any of these books from computer files. Then

reinstalled. So far no problems but I am shy about each download.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2010 10:13 AM   in reply to (Rich_Jeffries)

I am having this same problem with books I have download, for free, from Barnes & Noble.  I submitted a help

ticket with Adobe and they sent me the following directions.  I hope this helps some of you having this same problem.

I would like to inform you that this error comes when the books you are
    trying to open were originally purchased with some different ID and nowyou are trying to use some different ID
    or in case if the download link for the books is no longer valid.

Hence, I request you to please follow the steps as given below in order
    to fix the error.
    Solution 1)

1) Open Adobe Digital Editions.
    2) Move your e-books to some different Location.
    3) Press the keys Ctrl + Shift + D on your keyboard.
    4) Now a Deauthorize screen will come up asking you to deauthorize your
    Computer.5) Follow the screen instructions and unauthorize the computer.
    3) Uninstall Adobe Digital Editions from your computer.
    Click start>>Control Panel>>Add or remove Program
    Select Adobe Digital Editions from the list and Delete.
    5) Also delete following files.
    Click Start>>Run
    Type "regedit" in the box and hit enter.
    Locate the following key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Adobe>Digital
    Editions" delete the full folder (Right click on it and click delete).
    Also locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Adobe>Adept
    Delete the full folder.
    6) Now download and install Adobe Digital Editions from the link given
    below. http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/
    7) When asked to authorize computer then please enter same Adobe ID and
    password which you were using earlier.
    Solution 2) If the above solution does not works then I request you to
    please Contact the vendor of books and ask them to reset the links ofthe books.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 11:19 PM   in reply to lindab8728

Are there instructions to solve this problem on a mac computer?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2010 6:52 AM   in reply to havingtrouble123

I'll see what I can come up with .. I think I have that documented here

at our location.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 5:51 PM   in reply to (Renee_Au)

just tell me what to do, if possible

other books come through with no proble

except "mormonchslds_9781605011837_b.epub

error r eads like above

terryclift@hotmail.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 8:04 AM   in reply to terryclft

Hi, unfortunately I dont know what to do, this only happened when I tried to load books from Barnes&noble unto my Bee-book, so I think this is related to Adobe Digital user rights.Adobe was not able to resolve this problem. now I use Diesel e-books to put on my bee-book and i dont have any problems.

have a good day

uli

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 7:07 AM   in reply to BWolfe [ADOBE]

I have opened a webcase and no one responds.  I'm having all types of issues with ADE.  First the downloaded books would show up on Digital Editions and my nook as long as it was hooked up to the computer.  Once I eject, the books disappear.  I followed the instructions for re-registering that I found on this forum.  I did this over and over again to no avail.  I guess I did it too many times because then I received an activation error.  So I called Adobe and they couldn't help.  Now I'm getting a "document is licensed for a different user account" error message.  Can you pleeeeaaaase help me?  My case number is 0182023328.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)