Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot find Digital Editions Folder

Jul 8, 2007 8:01 AM

Whenever I try to open the program, I get the message "Cannot find Digital Editions Folder". The program appears to be open to me, however it is completely unusable. My e-books appear as blank gray books, and I can't open them or read them. I've un-installed and installed the program 3 times. Someone please help! I want to read my books.

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2007 12:54 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    I am getting the same message!!!!!!!!! Can anyone help???

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2007 12:45 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    Can those of you encountering this problem give us some details? We have been unable to reproduce this problem. Could you please answer these questions:

- What type of machine (Mac, Windows)
    - What OS? What version
    - Type of CPU?
    - Have you recently upgraded or changed your OS?
    - Are you a normal or admin user, or are you a managed user (e.g. you log onto a general machine on campus)?

Thanks, Ric Wright, DE Team

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2007 4:37 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    Hi Ric

To answer your questions

- Windows XP Professional
    - Dell Optiplex 320
    - Recently bought by work several months ago
    - I am part of a network at work where we share a server.

I am using Adobe 8 and as mentioned DE won't let me view books etc.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2007 3:26 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    try looking for it in documents& settings > your user profile > Local Settings > Application Data

should be somewhere in there.don't remeber exactly because i already deinstalled digital editions

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2007 11:13 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    There's another solution, if you don't want to uninstall Adobe 8.0. Just create a new folder "My Digital Editions" in your "My Documents" folder. The installer doesn't seem to have done that.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2007 6:57 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    Thanks Chris

That seems to have worked!! Simple yet very effective!!!

Cheers
    Chris C

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2007 9:39 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    Indeed, that worked fine. I downloaded Digital Editions in Firefox on a Windows XP (Toshiba Qosmio - Intel CPU). Normal user. The 'My documents' folder is on a external drive E: Maybe that's the reason why it didn't create a Digital Editions folder.

Anyway, to the people of Adobe: If you give an error message like 'Cannot find the Digital Editions Folder' it would be better to tell us where this folder should be.

It's a good thing this forum was here.

Thanks
    Hans

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2007 4:36 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    Same error message running on:

Windows 2K (SP4)
    Adobe Reader 8

If one user (with admin rights) logs in get above error; any other user logs onto same machine (including those with non-admin) works fine. Have tried re-installing DE; still nothing.
    User having problems appears to have all the same folders/permissions as other users. Very frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2007 9:53 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    that is terribly, horribly annoying... i have spent three evenings after work trying to donwloan, uninstall, etc. adobe reader 7 and 8 so that i could read abode digital editions book.. but the not "could not find digital editions folder" still appears and apperas... i cannot say how angry i am with this terrible nonsence and waist of time.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2007 12:07 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    We were trying to sort out this problem for staff at an NHS Education Centre and still couldn't get to the bottom of it; on some PC's it will work for some users, on others it won't. Absolutely ridiculous ... and no help from Adobe. Its cr*p software like this that causes us no end of problems, wastes extortionate amounts of time and makes us look bad infront of customers... and all down to the dreaded curse of DRM/Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2007 8:30 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    Could the people encountering this problem please submit a support incident at www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2007 1:52 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    hey Mr. Ric,

why did you delete my unhappy messages about Adobe digital editions? You also say to write you an email personally, to those who encounter problems..so i did write you an email..but no reply....

so how long it will last till you delete this my message in the forum too and appear as nothing wrong is happening/ you r solving the problem (which you don't)..

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2007 1:53 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    ok, sorry i see you didnt delete my previous message.. I'm just tired of trying to solve this problem all evening today myself...

so..

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2007 3:39 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    I have been away for a week or so, but I am not seeing any emails from Gintare. I will send a direct email to Gintare M

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2008 2:59 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    Hi

I've just intalled Digital Editions and have had the same problem.

I don't have a Digital Editions Folder in My Documents. I have this mapped to a different partition and it doesn't seem to have picked this up on installation.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2008 8:00 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    same problem for me. sent an email. any resolution on this?

WinXP Pro latest SP

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2008 2:41 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    I had the same message 'cannot find digital editions folder. I am at university, and kept being told my my library that the downloads would be in this folder, and like a number of you I did not have one. This must be an inherent problem with this software, however, once I made a folder in my documents everything worked fine - it just took three days to work out.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2008 11:57 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    Because my "My Documents" folder is a shared folder it wouldn't work. I just created a My Digital Editions folder on my desktop and then moved the icon into it. When I tried to download the book it worked. Thanks for the help!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2008 5:40 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    Karen, thank you very much for the suggestion. Myrna

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2008 1:11 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    Just a quick followup from those of you having the "Could not find Digital Editions folder". I have confirmed and fixed (in 1.5) the problem with having a "My Documents" directory on a network folder (either file server or a shared folder on someone else's computer). The problem was the code interpreting the permissions returned from Windows a bit more strictly than Windows Explorer does (being maybe too picky since were an internet accessible application which lead to the failure of creating the Digital Editions folder) - and not surprisingly the workaround reported here by Chris and Karen does indeed fix the problem in the meantime.

However, I am worried that there is another problem that I haven't found yet. Karen mentioned that her My Documents directory was shared as a reason for the problem. I haven't figured out how to make this problem occur on a single computer regardless of if the "My Documents" directory is shared or not. If anybody is having this problem please respond on the forum, or submit a support incident at http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/.

Thanks
    Jim Lester
    Adobe Systems

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim,

I have a feeling that some users were getting this error simply because they were using non-ASCII characters in the path to where the folder should be. A high percentage of the users who emailed us with this error were from countries where you would expect this to happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2008 4:21 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    Thanks for the reminder. I've fixed the problem with Non-ASCII paths as well. Along with the similar IO Error #2038 on the Mac that was also caused by bad handling of NonASCII paths. All three fixes will be in 1.5.

Jim Lester
    Adobe Systems

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2008 1:29 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    Hi all, I had this problem but a very helpful chap on the Waterstones web site talked me through it this morning.

Here goes:-
    Make sure your Ebook is connected to the computer and that you have loaded eBook Library and then minimized it to the task bar

Click on Start
    Then Search
    Then All files and folders
    Then type in My Digital Editions
    Then search for this file
    If you are lucky you should get a folder in this name
    Open it and you should see your titles listed

Drag the title you want into either the library or the ebook reader and it should transfer it for you! Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2008 8:47 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    Hi JimLester,

Thanks that you have fixed the problem but why in 1.5 when new version is 1.6 alerady launched and i am using 1.6.

There are other several issues i want to discuss on ADE because i am working for several world wide publishers across the world who are using ADE. Could I.

Thanks
    Arvinder

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2008 10:01 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    Arvinder
    If you are working with the publishers/operators your best bet would be to ask questions to the Content Server Support via email.

--
    Jim Lester
    Adobe Systems

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2009 4:42 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    New computer. New installation. Windows Vista. Unfortunately I get this message again. And creating a 'Digital Editions' folder in 'My documents' (= D: = another partition then the C: where Adobe DE is installed) doesn't help. Is there a workaround? Why is this problem after a year of development still occuring? Thanks for your help!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2009 8:53 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    I do have the same problem, I've installed "Adobe Digital Editions" (German) on a "Windows Vista Business" (English) installation.

I keep getting the message "Digital Editions-Ordner nicht gefunden." (same stuff in German).

The folder "My Documents" points to a hard drive (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer \Shell Folders\Personal = "X:\"), the user logged on has full control on this drive and I created the folder "My Digital Editions" manually in the "My Documents" folder (X:\My Digital Editions\). But the message won't go away? Seems to be the same situation as the poster in post #27, "My Documents" points to other partition/hard drive.

Is this a problem which Adobe didn't get under control in over a year now? Are there any ideas how I can fix this?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2009 12:08 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    I have the same problem with the error message "Could not find Digital Editions folder." and just can't figure out how to fix it... I created
    C:\My Digital Editions\ and also D:\My Digital Editions\ and another one on the desktop but that did not fix the issue.. so I bought my book and can't read it.. anyone can help here? I'm using Vista Home Premium.
    Cheers
    Antoine

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2009 12:08 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    I have the same problem with the error message "Could not find Digital Editions folder." and just can't figure out how to fix it... I created
    C:\My Digital Editions\ and also D:\My Digital Editions\ and another one on the desktop but that did not fix the issue.. so I bought my book and can't read it.. anyone can help here? I'm using Vista Home Premium.

Cheers
    Antoine

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2009 1:32 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    We are under the impression that we resolved this in the 1.5 release of Adobe Digital Editions last year.

You should -not- have to create the "My Digital Editions" folders yourself. Those should be created when you install the program.

However, they would not be in the path you've noted. It would be inside your "My Documents" folder, not on the root of C or D.

This could be any number of path related things. Open a web support case at http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2009 10:18 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)
    Thanks Bentley, I just opened a support case.. Hope it will get fixed soon so I can enjoy my eBook as opposed to going back to paper ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2009 7:30 PM   in reply to BWolfe [ADOBE]

BWolfe said "We are under the impression that we resolved this in the 1.5 release of Adobe Digital Editions last year"...

Well, you're under very bad impression. You hadn't resolve this in 1.5, nor 1.6 nor latest 1.7 version.

As UniIFF said in other topic: Adobe is unable to code programs that accept any user configuration that Windows supports... Very sad, and very true...

In my case - as you can see in attachment screenshot - "My Documents" aka "Personal" is located directly on "E:" drive (because I like this way...).

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2009 3:32 PM   in reply to ABarabasz

I've got the same problem, have just downloaded and installed Digitial Editions and this error has popped up, even though I can easily find the folder manually, so I know it's there.

I'm using Vista Home Premium, and it's a standalone computer, on a small home network, although no one but myself needs it.

It's a pity to see that there aren't really any soultions that I've read that fix the problem.

Also disappointing that there isn't any other software I can use to read this e-book I've just downloaded.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2009 7:45 PM   in reply to mdlgs

Let me join the club.  I also am running Vista Home Premium and am getting the same error.  I have gone to every my documents folder and every documents folder and created a digital editions folder.  It still does not work.  I've been having this problem since 4/2009.

I opened a new case a few days ago and still have not heard from Adobe.  I can't beleive that they have not corrected the problem since 2007 when this thread started.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2009 6:43 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)

I downloaded this software a couple of days ago and am also having this issue.  I've tried everything listed above to correct it, and I still continue to get the error.  I checked the knowledgebase, and made sure I had write access to the folders.  Nothing works.  I get this message when I try to open Digital Editions, and also when trying to download books.

I am running Vista on a HP laptop, sole user, no network.

Help!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2009 1:44 PM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)

Recently I had the same problem running Vista SP1. Documents folder was redirected to the root of another disk. Digital Editions cannot make or recognize a digital editions folder in the root . So I made a new Documents folder in the root and moved all the content to that folder. "My Documents"m is now not directing to the root of a disk anymore. And DE works!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2009 1:13 AM   in reply to Steenvos

Installed DE on two machines and have the same problem on both.  Both running Vista (one Home SP2, one Ultimate SP1).  Documents folder not in root, not moved at all on one machine. One machine has Reader 8, other does not have any flavour of Reader at all (because I was hacked off with this sort of thing I use something that WORKS).  Installed and reinstalled from web and stand-alone versions (twice).  This situation is appalling.  I now have a £30 file that I cannot read and I very annoyed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2009 9:16 AM   in reply to (Melanie_Espina)

Me too, same problem! Vista home premium SP2, Sony PRS505 reader, ebook library 3.0.0, digital editions 1.7.1.  Every time I open it, it says it can't find the folder, yet it is there in the C: root directory the whole time, and indeed if I delete it, running digital editions promptly recreates it (empty), but still says it cacn't find it.  Worked through all the suggestions here, no dice.  Checked the permissions, firewall pass through, compatibility etc. No good.  Tried putting a copy of the folder everywher, in My documents, in users, in users/documents, you name it. Given it full administrator permissions, nothing at all.  Can't submit a web support case as suggested 'cos it wants my serial number and the instructions to get it from the splash screen on "about..." don't work.  The Adobe support  tech note says "Ensure that you have write permissions for the location to which you redirect the My Documents folder." but doesn't tell you how to do this!

This is ridiculous. Without a fix to this stupid problem you can't read any books you buy for the machine!

ADOBE, PLEASE HELP YOUR FRUSTRATED USERS!!!!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)