Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save in Illustrator CS2

Nov 02, 2005 Nov 02, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Group,
I posted on the 25th Oct:-
"Have updated to CS2, everything fine except in Illustrator.

When saving work in the "Save as" or "Save a copy" I get "an unknown error
has occurred"

Even if I open work made prior to the upgrade from CS and then amend it, I
get the same "an unknown error has occurred", when I try to save it

I can save in other formats without problem, but I can't save my work in the
Illustrator format to return to later.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled without success.

Please has anyone else come across this, or can anybody advise a solution to
this problem?

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to reply.

David "

Since then I have checked the Adobe forum for Illustrator and there appears
to be considerable traffic on this apparent "BUG" in illustrator, it also
seems to be hitting CS as well as CS2.

I find it amazing that Adobe can release software with problems such as
this. How can their credibility withstand issuing software that can't even
save in its own natural format.

It would appear that this bug was evident way back in March, yet here we are
still suffering in November, more that 8 months and still no word from
Adobe.

Any self respecting company would have pulled the offending software from
the shelves until they had a solution, yet Adobe seems not to have even
responded to the problem.

I'm sure there must be thousands of us out here that paid for this defective Adobe software and received a load of junk for their money.

If you feel as strongly as I do about it, how about a mass mailing to the
Adobe forums and let them know how you feel.They might eventually get the
message.

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 206 Replies 206
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2005 Nov 02, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David:

In AI CS2 (12.01), we are getting the same errors with "some" files, but not all. The only workaround I have found is to do a "Save As" and save the file as an Adobe PDF format (rather than the native AI) and keep the "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" checkbox on. Then I simply rename the file's extension from PDF to AI.

We have Version Cue disabled.

Others on this forum have mentioned that if they save as AI but disable the PDF compatibility, then it works for them (but not for everyone). Still others have mentioned that if they copy their contents to a new AI file and then save, it will work. None of these workarounds have worked for us.

Adobe definitely needs to fix this problem.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2005 Nov 04, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For everyone having this problem, let's try to find the common thread. Here are the standard troubleshooting questions that need answered to try to find out what is going on.

What is in your file?
Is there a image?
Is it place linked or place embedded?
What is the format of the image?
Is it color/black and white/greyscale?
Is the image on your local drive or is it being placed from a server?
Does this happen with one/certain/all files?
Can you reproduce this error at will?
Is this in Illustrator 12 or 12.0.1?
If 12.0.1 did you get this error before updating?

If you have a file that you can open and no longer save, please send it to me at aifiles@adobe.com.

If you are able to reproduce this issue at will, please send me the steps to reproduce.

Thanks

Shane
Adobe Tech Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shane,

Might I suggest some additional questions?

Does your file contain text? If so, does the problem occur with files that don't contain text?
What other Adobe applications and versions do you have installed?
What version(s) of Illustrator were you using before you installed your current version?
Did you install a tryout version of Illustrator before you installed the regular version?
What version of Windows are you on? What service packs have you installed?
Are you an administrator of your machine?
Are you using any font management utilities? If so, which ones and what version?

And whatever instructions you usually give for finding out about relevant Adobe common files. (I don't know what those instructions are.)

The only common pattern I have noticed in the forum posts is that the saving difficulties seem to be related to text, and that the only reliable solution is to manually remove all Adobe software including the Common Files and the registry entries from the machine and reinstall all the Adobe applications. This "solution" is daunting and undoubtably overkill; most likely there are just one or two PDF-related conflicting files and/or registry entries that must be removed, but there is insufficient data to identify which ones they are. Simply uninstalling and reinstalling CS or CS2 does not work.

(For more than a month ever since I upgraded to Microsoft Office 2004 as part of Adobe's Exchange migration I have had the same kind of problem with Microsoft Entourage, that it will not access my Exchange account. Nobody else here at Adobe is having this problem, and it is almost certainly is due to the fact that I had previously been using a very early version of Microsoft Office X, one that was released concurrently with OS X itself, and had not updated it for many years. The installer for Office 2004 apparently left some incompatible common framework on my machine, which it is not prepared to correctly detect and remove or update because nobody at Microsoft had such a stale environment.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shane:

Answers to your questions:

What is in your file?
An 8-up layout of business cards that had no problem with AI CS. These problem files typically were last saved in AI CS since I don't recall any that were created from scratch in CS2.

Is there a image?
No...all vector shapes and text.

Is it place linked or place embedded?
n/a

What is the format of the image?
n/a

Is it color/black and white/greyscale?
n/a

Is the image on your local drive or is it being placed from a server?
n/a

Does this happen with one/certain/all files?
Certain files.

Can you reproduce this error at will?
No.

Is this in Illustrator 12 or 12.0.1?

If 12.0.1 did you get this error before updating?
Don't recall since I updated to 12.0.1 within a week of installing 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric,

Can you send me that file? I would like to see if I can repro the issue.

aifiles@adobe.com

Thanks

Shane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shane:

I just sent it. The file still has the AI extension even though it is really saved as a PDF within Illustrator. This is our only workaround. We can keep editing it and saving it as long as it gets saved as a PDF with Illustrator editing enabled. But as soon as we try to Save As in AI format, we get the error.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2005 Nov 07, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Eric sent me a note that he was able to get this working after he deleted the files in the following folder. Can some folks try just moving these files to the desktop and restarting illustrator and try to save the files again? If you had a custom workspace created it will be gone. If this does work, I would like to get those files from you. You can email them to aifiles@adobe.com.

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS2 Settings\Workspaces

Thanks!

Shane
Adobe TS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2005 Nov 11, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, here is the next thing to check...

1) In your preferences under File Handling & Clipboard is PDF checked?

2) Do you still get errors if you uncheck this option?

Shane
Adobe TS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2005 Dec 10, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here is what I was able to find with a quick test. I just had a file with placed images and also text error out, and then Adobe crashed when I tried to close out stuff in Task Manager, so I made a test file...
Placed Image: Worked with both .eps and .ai format.
Placed Image and text: Errored out on .ai, worked on .eps.
Just text: Errored out on .ai.

So it sounds like Illustrator doesn't like text. I mean it's something we can live without right? In this day and age who uses text in anything anyways?

(That was sarcasm...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 11, 2005 Dec 11, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

Right, so does that happen regardless of what font is used for the text? Or is only with one or more specific fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2005 Dec 11, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I'll play around a little and see wht I can come up with. For my quick test, I used the default font(Myriad Pro, I think.), and for my earlier issues, I know we had used two different Brush Script style fonts...
Each file only had one font in it though, so it's not a 'multiple fonts at a time issue'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2005 Dec 12, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mike,

Can you send me an email with your phone number so I can give you a call? shtracy@adobe.com

Shane
Adobe TS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2005 Dec 28, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone has an answer to this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2005 Dec 28, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all,

i've read all those posts in these foruns since i have the same problem: can't save a single PDF in Illustrator CS2. It's odd since i used to save all my work in Illustrator 10, then CS but in CS2 i just can't. I've got the "unknow error" sometimes; if i try like, 3 times to save the same file then Illustrator just closes and i've got a Windows XP error message.

My machine is a ACER Aspire 1692, with Windows XP SP2, 1GbRAM and ever since i got these machine i installled CS2 and the only problem is Illustrator. It's quite frustrating that now i've have return to ol' CS since i can't save PDF's (whith are crucial for me). Also i've tryed those workarounds and no luck. The way i see it it's not corrupted .AI files since those were made in Illustrator CS and still work. Also i can reproduce the "unknow error" very easily: just make a new file (RGB A4 file), type some text (any font) and try to save as a PDF ou an AI PDF compatible. it just doesn't work.

sorry my faulty english but i'm not used to talk in that language =)

//emanuel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2006 Jan 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the New Year! Here is the update...

So Adobe people have been off since 12/22 and just back today (officially). I am beginning to think more and more that this is a font issue. Perhaps with a font that can't be embedded, which is why turning off PDF Compatibility works.

In order to verify that it would require some hard core font troubleshooting. I have one customer who is willing (Thanks Mike!) and the customer who was here in Seattle with a machine that had the problem is out of town for the holidays still.

If you are willing to do some font troubleshooting please email me directly at shtracy@adobe.com. I will send instructions.

Thanks!

Shane
Adobe Tech Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2006 Jan 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw this on another forum that Len is on....

Try moving the entire Illustrator CS2 settings folder to the desktop and then launch Illustrator again and see if you still get the error.

In the c:\Documents and Settings\~username\Application Data\Adobe folder move the Illustrator CS2 Settings folder to the desktop.

If this works, please zip that folder and send it to me at aifiles@adobe.com.

Thanks!

Shane
Adobe Tech Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2006 Jan 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all and happy new year!

i've moved the Adobe Illustrator CS2 folder, but the same error appears. And now it's even worse because the toolbar misses some tools and some error boxes appear like:

"Acrobat PDF file format is having difficulties. An internal error occurred while processing XMP metadata"

and

"Can't finnish previewing. There isn't enough memory. ID= -108"

(after that the application crashes)

the only way i can save a PDF is to make all the text in outline, which is very annoying in some heavy text-based illustrations.

i think either it's a bug in the illustrator pdf algoritm or it's because that message when i try to save a file pdf compatible "only fonts with appropriate permission bits will be embedded." - how will illustrator know which of my fonts are free to use and which aren't?

//emanuel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>how will illustrator know which of my fonts are free to use and which
aren't?<<

Because some fonts have a 'no-embed" tag within their metadata,
Illustrator/Acrobat do know which fonts may be embedded and which may not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hum...i can try to create a pdf with a embedded free font, just to check the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2006 Jan 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emanual,

If you removed the Illustrator CS2 Settings folder from the c:\Documents and Settings\~username\Application Data\Adobe folder it will be recreated on the next launch of Illustrator.

If you are still getting the error then you probably have something more going on with Illustrator. I would suggest removing and reinstalling.

Shane
Adobe Tech Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2006 Jan 05, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed the AI settings folder and the problem is gone.
We were experiencing the same errors, in all examples discussed in this post.
Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tmeals

Did you save the folder? Could you send it to me at aifiles@adobe.com? if you compress it make sure to change the extension to .adobe otherwise our mail server will return it.

shane
Adobe TS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I didn't save the file. However a coworker is having the same problem, when she returns from holiday I will be sure to send you a zip of her settings folder.
Regards
Terry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2006 Apr 17, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this same problem, I have removed the Settings folder mentioned above without success, I still get error 108 when trying to save a particular file. Has any progress been made with this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines