• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I use the paintbrush tool?

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2008 Oct 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to paint on an image and when I mouse over where I want to paint I get the "prohibited" symbol and can't paint. I opened other .jpgs and was able to paint with no problem. Is there a type of file that you can't use the paintbrush tool on? Please help!
TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2009 Jan 01, 2009
Devorah,

the Paintbrush tool is not designed to measure CMYK percentages. It is a drawing tool.

To check your percentages, select or direct select the desired objects and take a look at the Colours Palette or the Information Palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2008 Oct 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not using the paintbrush tool on any images. You are importing the image into a new Illustrator file and drawing objects above the imported image. Your problem might be that you have a locked layer active. Look in the Layers panel.

And ALWAYS tell us the version number of the program(s) you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2008 Nov 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I scanned a drawing, and I want to paint on it. I have no locked layers. I'm in CS2 Illustrator. What do I need to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2008 Nov 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karen:

What do you mean by "paint on it?" What tools are you using and what will the result be?

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2009 Jan 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened up a pdf file in Illustrator CS4 and I want to check the percentages of the colours in CMYK. However, when I click on the paintbrush tool, I get the "prohibited" symbol (the circle with a line across it). Why can't I access this tool? Is there any other way to check the CMYK percentages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2009 Jan 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Devorah,

the Paintbrush tool is not designed to measure CMYK percentages. It is a drawing tool.

To check your percentages, select or direct select the desired objects and take a look at the Colours Palette or the Information Palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem.  It's because you have to go to your "brushes" in the layer palette and select a brush size.  Then you can use your brush 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2014 Jul 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are right ! thanks for replying !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2014 Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, had this error for a while. Great to finally know what I am doing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehehe Ty very much Problem solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2014 Dec 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dude

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2015 Jun 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Woop Woop! It was a brushes panel issue. Thank you for sharing lilsmidge!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2012 Nov 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this to be a way around this issue:

Open the image that you want to draw on, keep that in its own RGB window.

Open a brand new document, CMYK.

Activate your Brush and draw a few lines on your artboard.

Then, copy and paste your RGB image into this new CMYK color space.

Voila. I think the Brush can only be used in a CMYK color space. And sometimes this does not work when you convert your document to a color space inside the RGB document.

Hope this helps. If anyone else has an alternative, let me know.

I've always had this issue with the Brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2012 Nov 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. My problem was that I needed to also choose the brush as the same

size that was also the brush chosen on the tools bar. I believe I got the

answer from someone in your forum some months hack.

Thanks,

Michelle

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 10:06 AM, StevefromFierce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2013 Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Load a brush first. That way you will be able to use the paintbrush tool. I usaly open the Brushes palette first, then click on its menu and select Open Brush Library to be able to select the brush I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Vero! This worked. Awesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2014 Apr 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, new to the forums, I looked up this problem to see what was causing it. The only solution Ive found (running CS5) is to open a new document, drag photo into that then paint on new layer. Sorry this is a million years too late.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I found that the issue is caused by opening a source file directly in Illustrator. In other words, you will not be able to use the brush tool on a file that was opened with illustrator without re-saving it - You would have to save it as an alternate file type (ai, eps, etc) and reopen the file to enable the brush editing function. For example: You have a .png file and you open it with Illustrator, you will not be able to use the brush tool. Now, if you save that file as an .ai file, close, and re-open the file, I will now be able to use the brush tool. Hope this helps.

-Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this isn't true. it's simply because an opened raster file won't have any brushes in it ('basic' is not a brush). define a brush first and draw away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. Thanks for your feedback dougofakkad‌ - That worked perfectly. Have a spectacular day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2015 Apr 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a weird situation...not sure if I can explain or not.....I was playing around with an image....and have no problem using the color black on paint brush....but when I change to the color white...I can't paint on that layer...?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a brush in the brushes panel? Other than "Basic" of course, which is not the brush but the absence of a brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new here...is this in response to my question Monika?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2015 Apr 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you read the forum on the website, you will be able to see (will be in your language then):

Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 09.37.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only other options I've been able to find in "brushes" are the fancy brush styles.  I just want to paint over something quickly, it's so simple in every other application, and yet it's taking me all afternoon to find a solution to it.  Ugh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines