Recently I have been having an issue where InDesign crashes frequently (probably 5-7) times a day, when updating a link I had edited outside of InDesign. Also, once InDesign crashes, it corrupts the file that was linked to the InDesign document that was being updated. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Are there any known solutions or work-arounds? I looked through the knowledge base but wasn't able to find anything on it.
Here is some basic info on my set up:
Mac OSX 10.5.3 | InDesign CS3 5.0.2
Model Name: Power Mac G5
Model Identifier: PowerMac11,2
Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 2
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.15 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.7f1
Sorry, I'm not quite following you. Most of the time when updating a link, I have the link open in Photoshop, but the last saved version of that open PSD file gets corrupted. As far as fonts, I haven't seen any problem with them. They seem to be working normally in the documents that have crashed on me. Some of the documents only have one or two different fonts used.
I have had an item selected, and not selected when experiencing this problem.
And, yes, I have commonly been working on the file, saving and then updating the link when InDesign crashes. Sometimes I have left that linked file open when InDesign crashes, leaving myself the opportunity to save it in another location, but when I close that linked file I was working on when InDesign crashes, it gets corrupted.
Also, yes I am working on a server. I will see if this problem persists when I am working from my local hard drive. Thanks for the direction, and let me know if you have any other known work-arounds or fixes for this issue.
>Also, once InDesign crashes, it corrupts the file that was linked to the InDesign document that was being updated.
Are you absolutely sure that it's not the other way around - i.e., that the linked file gets corrupted, which then causes InDesign to crash? I ask this because we recently had a client with a similar sounding problem. At first we also thought that InDesign was corrupting the file, but eventually discovered that the file server on which the links resided had some bad RAM which was causing the PSD files to occasionally get corrupted.
Photoshop is apparently more tolerant of some corruptions than InDesign. When we'd open one of the problematic PSDs in Photoshop, we'd get a dialog box alerting us that there was corruption, but the file would open. InDesign, on the other hand, would crash VERY hard when placing or updating such a linked file.
I think you might be right about this one. Now that you mention it, I have come across some photoshop files that got corrupted, that I hadn't worked on in InDesign before. I assumed it was InDesign causing the problem because I didn't notice the corrupt file until after InDesign crashed. Also, yes I do think that this is specifically server related for me too because I haven't experience a corrupt file yet when working from my local HD. With that said, was there a work-around or solution you were able to find for this problem?
>With that said, was there a work-around or solution you were able to find for this problem?
For our client, the problem went away totally when we tracked down and replaced the defective RAM module in the machine (which was a Mac OS X Server). We found it using the Apple Hardware Diagnostics that ships on the DVD with new machines.
One thing to note, though, is the current "kerfuffle" over an apparent bug/problem in Mac OS X 10.5.3 which apparently can cause corruption in Photoshop files saved over the network, and has nothing to do with defective hardware. So, if you're using Leopard 10.5.3, that in itself may be causing the corruption.
The problem is 10.5.3 upgrade to Leopard. You will need to re-install Leopard 10.5.2 in order to prevent the file corruption when saving to network volumes. It is a problem with 10.5.3 client and all AFP servers, including Mac OSX servers. Hopefully 10.5.4 will be out soon and they will have fixed this problem. You'll need to do an archive and install. Took me about two hours on one of our Macs here to reinstall everything and make it fully functional again. There is a very long discussion about this on the Apple user forums.