Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign Crashes when trying to Update a Link in an INDD file

Jun 6, 2008 8:25 AM

Recently I have been having an issue where InDesign crashes frequently (probably 5-7) times a day, when updating a link I had edited outside of InDesign. Also, once InDesign crashes, it corrupts the file that was linked to the InDesign document that was being updated. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Are there any known solutions or work-arounds? I looked through the knowledge base but wasn't able to find anything on it.

Thanks,

Thomas

Here is some basic info on my set up:

Mac OSX 10.5.3 | InDesign CS3 5.0.2

Model Name: Power Mac G5
Model Identifier: PowerMac11,2
Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 2
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.15 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.7f1

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 6, 2008 10:02 AM   in reply to (tm.hiswork)
    open any links that are assoiated to the document and re-save, checking for any corrupt fonts as you go.

Does the problem persist after doing this.?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2008 5:20 PM   in reply to (tm.hiswork)
    Are you leaving the item selected when you edit and update the file that is linked?

or

Are you working on a linked file saving then going into ID and updating it?

also

Are these files all on a server? there seems to be a problem with 10.5.3 and saving over a network.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2008 9:53 AM   in reply to (tm.hiswork)
    >Also, once InDesign crashes, it corrupts the file that was linked to the InDesign document that was being updated.

Are you absolutely sure that it's not the other way around - i.e., that the linked file gets corrupted, which then causes InDesign to crash? I ask this because we recently had a client with a similar sounding problem. At first we also thought that InDesign was corrupting the file, but eventually discovered that the file server on which the links resided had some bad RAM which was causing the PSD files to occasionally get corrupted.

Photoshop is apparently more tolerant of some corruptions than InDesign. When we'd open one of the problematic PSDs in Photoshop, we'd get a dialog box alerting us that there was corruption, but the file would open. InDesign, on the other hand, would crash VERY hard when placing or updating such a linked file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2008 1:06 PM   in reply to (tm.hiswork)
    >With that said, was there a work-around or solution you were able to find for this problem?

For our client, the problem went away totally when we tracked down and replaced the defective RAM module in the machine (which was a Mac OS X Server). We found it using the Apple Hardware Diagnostics that ships on the DVD with new machines.

One thing to note, though, is the current "kerfuffle" over an apparent bug/problem in Mac OS X 10.5.3 which apparently can cause corruption in Photoshop files saved over the network, and has nothing to do with defective hardware. So, if you're using Leopard 10.5.3, that in itself may be causing the corruption.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2008 1:46 PM   in reply to (tm.hiswork)
    The problem is 10.5.3 upgrade to Leopard. You will need to re-install Leopard 10.5.2 in order to prevent the file corruption when saving to network volumes. It is a problem with 10.5.3 client and all AFP servers, including Mac OSX servers. Hopefully 10.5.4 will be out soon and they will have fixed this problem. You'll need to do an archive and install. Took me about two hours on one of our Macs here to reinstall everything and make it fully functional again. There is a very long discussion about this on the Apple user forums.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)