• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a copy of a project

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2008 Jan 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are using RoboHelp HTML version X5, and we use version control. We are trying to figure out how to create a copy of a project so we can edit the new version with the old version remaining intact. That way we could have multiple versions of our help system, a distinct version for each software release we have.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi colliesaregreat and welcome to the RH forums.
It depends how you record your new project in your version control software. Here we just check out the latest version of your source, make the changes and create a new folder in SourceSafe - as that is what we use - and check it back in. The other method would involve getting the latest source version and creating a copy of the source files using good old Windows Explorer. Then you can make changes whilst maintaining your local copy of the source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe we use RoboSource Control. So would we need to create a new folder in there for the new version and proceed from there? If you can give me specific steps, that would be great (I'm new to using version control).

By creating a copy of the source file using Windows Explorer, do you mean to simply copy the whole project file, rename it, and then use it for the new version? Will that bring over the glossary, index, and everything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to do the same thing, create a copy of an existing Help system to use to build a new Help system for another release. The existing Help system was described by the writer who left me with it as a kludge with way too much conditional text, much of it out-of-date -- a Help system that badly needs a good house-cleaning.  We are using StarTeam as our version control system. Any advice on how to make sure we get everything we need would be appreciated. I haven't used RoboHelp since version 2, so much has changed. We are producing HTML Help.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All source control applications work the same way. So provided you know where the source is, you should just be able to export the latest version to your local drive, work on it and import it back in. Personally I'd want to create a new area / directory in the source control application so that I could point to a specific area that was my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2013 May 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The way I do it is rather simple.

1. Copy the local RoboHelp project to a new location.

2. Remove the link to source control. (See http://www.robowizard.com/RoboWizard/MonthlyScry/102004.htm on how to do this without opening RoboHelp. Please follow these instructions.)

3. Open the RoboHelp project and add it to source control as a new project.

By creating a copy of the entire project directory, ALL the content is retained.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp