Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Install a Mac font on a PC

Feb 28, 2008 6:10 PM

Hi, I can't install on my PC a font provided by one of my Mac-based designers. I can open the InDesign file, but can't install the font. She included them in the folder and emailed them as well. The extension they have is .dat.

Any ideas?

tia
Jane, The Menu Maker
www.themenumaker.com

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 29, 2008 8:31 AM   in reply to (TheMenuMaker)
    To the best of my knowledge, Mac and Win PostScript and TrueType fonts are different and not cross platform compatible. OpenType fonts are truely cross platform. I hear that you can use Win TT fonts on a Mac, but not vice versa.

As I understand it, print service providers are reuired by the font EULA to own the font even though the customer provides it.

I suggest you ask your customer to purchase the modern OpenType versions of the fonts.

Regards

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2008 4:21 AM   in reply to (TheMenuMaker)
    Hi
    my mac friend cannot open my Word documents (with/without pictures) via email. How do I resolve so he can open themj?? Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2008 5:08 AM   in reply to (TheMenuMaker)
    Thats not an Adobe question. Perhaps it's because of the way you are sending the emails tho.
    Send as plain text or have him download http://www.joshjacob.com/macdev/tnef/index.html

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2008 5:22 AM   in reply to (TheMenuMaker)
    Here is the breakdown:

Windows can use OpenType, Windows Type1 and Windows TrueType fonts.
    Windows cannot directly read Mac TrueType or Mac Type1 fonts.

Macintosh can use OpenType, Mac Type1, Mac TrueType, and Win TrueType.
    Adobe products can read some Windows Type 1 fonts if installed in the correct folder.

I recommend TransType Pro from FontLab.com for converting fonts to OpenType (keeping in mind any legal issues from the font foundry). Better yet, switch to OpenType Pro fonts from Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2008 7:59 AM   in reply to (TheMenuMaker)
    We invested in TransTypePro, it was a cheap investment considering the time loss of running round trying to find the right version of the fonts.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2008 10:51 AM   in reply to (TheMenuMaker)
    People,

Free font utility for viewing and printing PostScript fonts
    Adobe® Type Manager® (ATM) Light is a system software component that automatically generates high-quality screen font bitmaps from the PostScript® outlines in Type 1 or OpenType® format. With ATM, you can scale your fonts without the characters appearing jagged, and you can also enable "font smoothing," which further improves the appearance of your fonts onscreen by using your computer monitor's color palette to intelligently improve the rendering of characters. ATM Light also allows you to print PostScript fonts on non PostScript printers, and can be used to create custom instances of multiple master fonts.

Current versions: 4.6 (Macintosh); 4.1 (Windows® 95, 98, and NT 4.0)

http://www.adobe.com/products/atmlight/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)