Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RPLN Plug In Missing - will not allow me to open files

Jan 05, 2009 Jan 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have InDesign CS 3 version 5.0.4, Windows XP, on a PC. I created a book using several chapters for a 200+ manual. When I left work on Wednesday, 12/31/08, all files were fine. I did not change anything that I am aware of.

This morning I came in, opened the INDB and most chapters had the warning triangle beside them. When I clicked on it, I got the message the plug-in was missing. I chose the option to open it anyway, but it would not open. Please, please, please tell me there is a quick fix to this.

My customer is waiting as I write this for me to send her an updated PDF of the book for her to review.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the time/date stamp on the files to make sure nobody else changed
them.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They haven't. The last time they were updated was 12/4/08 and I was the one who updated them. None of the other graphic designers would have any reason to touch these files. I did check properties and it indicates that I was the last one to touch the files.

BTW, I forgot to mention that all of these manual was created in InDesign 3 this year. I have been accessing these files on a regular basis to update them and never had this problem.

It does give me a message (the 3rd message in a series) that says I may not have authorization or the file is open by someone else. HOWEVER, no else has ALL these files open.

Any other information I can provide, please let me know. This will be an incredible disaster if I lose these files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it helps any: these are the messages I get:

"The document "xxx" uses one or more plug-ins which are not currently available on your system. Do you want to open anyway?" In the window above it lists: WORLDREADY.RPLN, CONDITIONALTEXT.RPLN.

I clic OK to open anyway and the next message says: Cannot open "xxx". Please upgrade your plug-ins to their latest versions, or upgrade to the latest version of Adobe InDesign." I checked for updates and the message indicated that I am up-to-date. In the window above the message it lists the following: ASSIGNMENTS.RPLN, TEXT.RPLN, SPREAD.RPLN, MASTER PAGE.RPLN, IMAGE.RPLN, TEXT ATTRIBUTES.RPLN, GENERIC PAGE ITEM.RPLN, TEXT WRAP.RPLN, CJK TEXT ATTRIBUTES.RPLN, SCRIPTING.RPLN,LINKS.RPLN, INCOPYSHARED.RPLN, XML.RPLN, CJKGRID.RPLN, TOC.RPLN, HYPERLINKS.RPLN, PACKAGE AND PREFLIGHT.APLN,WORKGROUP.RPLN, APPFRAMEWORK.RPLN, and DOCUMENT FRAMEWORK.RPLN.

The last message I receive is, "Cannot open the document "xxx". You may not have permission or the document may be open already."

I tried opening the files directly without going through the book feature, but I get the same messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like an error you'd get trying to open a CS4 file. If you'd
like to email one of them to me, I'll take a look here.

Click my name, go to my website and you'll find contact info there.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just acquired InDesign CS4 and have no prior experience with it or any other layout software. I've watched the various videos that came with the package I bought, which I bought via the Academic Bookstore. I have tried to create a new document, just to see if I can follow some of the basic instructions. When I open the document, I then go to File / Place / Look In / My Documents / -- I then select, say, a text document and press "open" - Rather than seeing my document's text come up on the InDesign document, I am seeing blue lines in a rectangle, as swell as an error message. The error message tells me "Preflight ON Profile [Basic](Working) ERROR text (1)" - none of which makes any sense to me whatever. I feel as though I am doing something hopelessly wrong right from the start and, at that, it does not get me to a point where I can even learn what I've done wrong OR simply undo what I have done to try to start over. Before this experimental phase, I tried to place a grid, such as a crossword puzzle grid, by placing an EPS file into the document. No luck there either and the whole software package froze up. Can someone mentor me through this?

Vic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. Please start
your own thread and if you want full attention, give us specifics and
paragraph breaks.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2009 Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem with missing plugins worldready and conditionaltext. I have updated my InDesign CS3, but still doesn't work. Did this problem ever get fixed? If the file I am trying to open was created in CS4 can it be saved for CS3 so I can read it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2009 Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 files cannot be opened direct in CS3, and there will be no update to allow that.

The closest you can come is to export the file from CS4 as .inx (interchange format) and open that in CS3 (which must be patched to the latest version). Any new features, like conditional text, used in CS4 will be lost, and text is likely to reflow if you edit due to changes in the text engine.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 05, 2009 Mar 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One would think that InDesign would be at least as smart as FrameMaker, where you get a message "Although this appears to be a FrameMaker file, it cannot be opened with this release of the product."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2009 Mar 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just downloaded the trial version of CS4 6.0, but the INDD file that I created cannot be viewed by my colleague who uses CS4 5.0. He says that the good-old RPLN plugins are needed:

WorldReady.rpln
conditionaltext.rpln

I have heard of this problem between CS4 and CS3, but never between versions of CS4.

Any advice to help us out?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2009 Mar 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other person is using CS3.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 18, 2009 Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this error too... on a CS4 Server Installation ("... uses one or more plug-ins which are not currently available on your system"), and the plugins are the the same: worldready.rpln and conditionaltext.rpln.

The document has been a CS3 document, but converted and saved by CS4 to CS4 version.

Is there any explanation to why the two plug-ins reports as missing sometimes?

-- Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2009 Mar 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Questions going back a few months and no solution gives me the warm fuzzies.

File was likely originally a CS3 and may go back further created on the PC side. I then had it opened in CS4 on the PC and then moved to MAC. I get same messages and can not open file from InDesign. What worked for me was to close InDesign and open from the file itself.

This workaround seems to work but...tried Save As and that still gets me nowhere. I think this is called a bug when you have a file created by a company's product that it can not itself open. Seems like a pretty glaring problem to me. Any hope of getting it solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2009 Mar 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File a bug report here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform and be sure to offer to send in the problem file for analysis.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2009 Mar 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really terrible. This morning I would like to open my document of diploma work (InDesign CS3 Version 5.0.4) and I get this error, too.

("... uses one or more plug-ins which are not currently available on your system"), and the plugins are the the same: worldready.rpln and conditionaltext.rpln.

What can I do? I'm desperated.

Thank you for helping me.

Daniela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2009 Mar 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniela,

It sounds like your file was viewed and saved in CS4 the last time, and now you are trying to open it in CS3 again. If you email just the .indd file to me at spammercatch at comcast dot net I will take a look and export back to .inx for you, so it can be opened on CS3.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem as many of the others are having.  I have CS3 and work on Windows and CS3 at home on Mac.  When I try to open my the version I created in Mac, I receive the same sort of errors, Worldready.indesign.plugin; conditionaltext.indesign.plugin.  Any ideas why I can't transfer from one version to another?  Do these not work together?  I am in a crunch and worked late last night to get a project done thinking it would be able to be opened at work.

Terry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are errors are you would get trying to open a CS4 file in CS3. The WorldReady plugin was introduced in CS4 so there's really no way that file could have been created in CS3.

This is NOT a Windows/Mac issue.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 29, 2009 Oct 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue with worldready and conditional text missing plugins.

I am running CS3 and a colleague at another company sent me a file saved in CS4.

1.  Is there a way for him to save the file in a format that can be opened in CS3?

2.  Does Adobe make the plug-ins available to CS3 users?

3.  Is this a way to force an upgrade to CS4?

98ElViejo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2009 Oct 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't really read the thread, did you?

0. It's not an "issue". It's a new version. Most programs cannot open data from a newer version (and, might I add, programs that claim they can -- e.g., Word -- usually make a messy job of it).

1. Sure. As has been mentioned in this thread (several times, I believe), your colleague should use the approved way of down-saving to INX. Needless to say, all CS4 specific features in the file will disappear. There is no way to get CS4 features in a CS3 file.

2. What Bob said -- it's not just a question of "add a few plugins, ship out as a new version, cash in". There are lots of other changes.

3. Yes. To use the new features, you have to upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2009 Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that there might be a conversion problem between CS3 and CS4.  But a friend who has CS4 was trying to send me something that she saved as a .pdf and it still would not open with my version of Acrobat.  I thought .pdf was universal... Will I get this everytime?  Is this Adobe's way of making sure I buy CS4?  I'm just really disappointed...

-P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 10, 2009 Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Acrobat? What was the error message?

Ken Benson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2009 Apr 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat could not open 'XXXXX.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

this was the error message and my version of Acrobat is the one that comes with the CS3 package, so it's not like it's old or anything.  I always thought that PDF was universal across the board, regardless of version. Tell me if that is wrong.

-P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2009 Apr 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the file may have been damaged in transit if it was sent electronically, or during copying if on disk. Ask them to resend (and it wouldn't hurt to zip it if it's coming as an email attachment).

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines