• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error: Missing CP1252.txt file ???

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2009 Mar 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting the error message "Adobe InDesign is missing required files. Please re-install." "Missing Files: CP1252.txt."
I've re-installed it twice and then I checked and the file is actually there.
I'm trying to download the trial version of InDesign CS4 on a Vista Home Premium 64-bit.
Thanks for any help.
Chuck

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2009 Mar 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem may be WHERE it is, not that it's missing altogether. I've just done a search for the file and come up with two candidates (on my XP system) for where the file should be:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\TypeSupport\Unicode\Mappings\Win and C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\TypeSpt\Unicode\Mappings\Win

I suspect that these are the same files, but the two paths are used by different versions of Adobe applications. The second path seems to be newer, so I'd start with that.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have said the FIRST path, with TypeSupport fully spelled out, is newer.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,
Thank you for trying, but I checked and the file is there. If I read your post correctly, you said it is TWO places, but I didn;t see a difference in your writing. Am I not seeing the difference?
Thank you again.
Chuk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is where I have these files - Vista 64bit Home Premium

C:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\CS4\Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2\Fonts\TypeSpt\Unicode\Mappings\Win
C:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\CS4\Acrobat 9.0\Resource\TypeSupport\Unicode\Mappings\win

I have all CreativeSuites installed and redirected to "c:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\":

C:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\20x\
C:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\CS1\
C:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\CS2\
C:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\CS3\
C:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\CS4\

I think these TXT files are identical
if you want - I can send it to you

robin

--
www.adobescripts.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also got those Acrobat related installations, but I doubt ID is looking there since you can install it without Acrobat.

The difference between the two paths was in the spelling of the TypeSupport vs TypeSpt folder name. If you didn't have earlier versions of Creative Suite products installed you may not have one of the folders. If you've got only the short version, try copying the folder and pasting the copy into the common folder with the original, then change the name to the long version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this CP1252.txt file ONLY in these two dirs

robin

--
www.adobescripts.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robin, Thank you. I did not download Acrobat 9.0, but am in the process now. I'll see if those files show up there.

Peter, Sorry, I do not have the shorter file "TypeSpt", just the full-length one.

Thanks for trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Acrobat 9 to see if that would help, "CP1252.txt" is right where it should be, but I still cannot open InDesign CS4 and now I can't open Indesign CS3. It gives me the same window. ?!?!?!

Has anyone been throught the deleting & re-installing process of all Adobe products?
Thanks,
Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck, I get that error when I rename the TypeSupport folder.

I'm thinking this may be a case of having installed into the wrong Program files directory. Do a system restore and install in the 32-bit program files directory and see if that helps.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I'm dowloading my files from Adobe and didn't see the option for 64 or 32 bit. Did I miss it?
Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's the same download, but there are two "program files" locations in 64-bit versions of Vista. I beleive the the 32 bit version is under the x386 directory, but I don't have Vista, so I'm not certain, and I'm not even sure it's necessary to put CS4 in that folder.

Let's see if we can get Bob to pop in. He runs Vista 64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

32 bit programs must be installed in the Program Files (x86) folder.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no - if program give you choice - you can install it anywhere ;)

robin

--
www.adobescripts.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is incorrect! 32 bit programs should never be installed in the
Program Files folder.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your help, although I think I'm going to delete everything and start over. I'll post the results afterward.
Thanks again,
Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2009 Mar 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,
The "Clean CS4 Script" and new install went well. I have no error messages. Now I just have to find another reason to procrastinate real work.
Thank you for all of your posts, time and efforts.
I really appreciate it.
Sincerely,
Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem and I finally fixed it.

The problem is caused because you had a an Adobe CS4 product on your computer in the past and removed it...But not all components are removed when you uninstall. Therefore, if you are using windows go to Start menu> type in search: MSCONFIG>Enter or (click Icon that pops up)> in the menu of the Config go to start up and "uncheck" the "CS4" components that were uninstalled.  and press "apply" then "OK". Restart computer and it should work. Let me know if you had success with this.

cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem with ID CS3 - message shown below - after having CS3, CS4, and CS5 products on this machine (windows 7 x64). Both CS5 and CS3 products will remain.

Capture.png

There may be 30 second fix to this. By now, most of you should realize that Adobe screwed up the installer and some files/pointers/etc. are pointing to the wrong folder. All 32bit programs should be in the “programs files x(86)” folder and NOT in the regular “programs files” folder which is intended for 64bit applications.

It appears that ID needs the following folders (AMT, CMaps, Unicode) and possibly the file FntNames.db in the (x86) common files\….\TypeSupport\.. folder. To fix this problem, I simply copied the files/folders from the 64-bit “programs files” folder to the 32-bit  “programs files x(86)” folder.

I wouldn't delete them from the original x64 location, just copy them to the new location (they only take up about 12mb of space). Another alternative is to move those "misplaced" folders into a new folder (with a new name so ID won't find it) and if no programs complain, then you can delete it later.

Just one more little bit of sloppy programming.. After all, x64, and dual 32/64 directories, have been around for a long time. There's really no excuse why Adobe, and all vendors, can't clean up after themselves when *uninstalling* apps such as CS4, and reinstalling CS3.. What would it take, another routine or two during the install/uninstall that would check to see what it needed to remove or leave?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By now, most of you should realize that Adobe screwed up the installer and some files/pointers/etc. are pointing to the wrong folder. All 32bit programs should be in the “programs files x(86)” folder and NOT in the regular “programs files” folder which is intended for 64bit applications.

Just one more little bit of sloppy programming.. After all, x64, and dual 32/64 directories, have been around for a long time. There's really no excuse why Adobe, and all vendors, can't clean up after themselves when *uninstalling* apps such as CS4, and reinstalling CS3..

I think it's not quite so simple. This works in most 64-bit installations, but sometimes it get screwed up. Presumably there is something about a small fraction of Windows 7 x64 installations that the installer gets wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're right. It often does work, but for some reason it didn't this time and there's nothing out of the ordinary that would cause it not to work without issue. I will say that if I want an application that is going to go south during the install, I have to look no further than one of my many Adobe suites or individual applications...

Since x64 has been around for nearly a decade, I'm nonplussed that it (install problems) happened..... again....

In the end, at least for me this time it was only a matter of copying files/folders, but others have had to do reinstalls, and from what I've read on the web, those have also not been successful...

I'm not getting all the fonts to install properly either (fonts like Arno can't be found) and now I'm getting font errors when I open indd files...

Can't figure that out either...I had the font, I used the font, but now it can't be found on my CS3 Design Premium disk and doesn't appear to available at install. I don't have my web premium disk available, nor do I have my CS5 suite available to check... Annoying to say the least, but that's another problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines