Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Submit by Email function

Former Community Member
I have created a form using the Submit by email button. When testing the function I get this text as the default body of the email. Where can I change this as I want the people filling out this form to see custom information.

The attached file contains data that was entered into a form. It is not the form itself.

The recipient of this data file should save it locally with a unique name. Adobe Acrobat Professional 7 or later can process this data by importing it back into the blank form or creating a spreadsheet from several data files. See Help in Adobe Acrobat Professional 7 for more details.
158 Replies

Former Community Member
Sadly, I don't think it's possible to change this.

Former Community Member
Hi,

I used Adobe LiveCycle designer to develop a form and used "Form Distribution" option to distribute it to the target audience. The target audience are able to complete the form in Adobe reader 8, but when they click the "Submit by Email" button, the pdf is not getting sent back. It is displaying the option to select the Email client. When the "Desktop Email application" is selected (MS outlook in open), nothing happens.

Can anyone help in letting me know the exact reason for this behavior.

Also, if I try to open in Adobe reader 7 , then even the "Select Email Option" does not work. Does this work only with Adobe 8 reader ?

Thanks,

Sreeraam Mohuna.

Former Community Member
Sreeraam:

Wait...are you telling me that when you click "submit by email"
while using
Acrobat Reader 8
you get the "select Email Client" dialog box??

PLEASE let me know!

Former Community Member
Jhadur: Add this script to a REGULAR button - you specify what you want to be added in the subject & body - either defined text or variables / values from another field

event.target.submitForm({cURL:"mailto:mysister@myhouse.com?subject=Submitted Form&body=Please find attached the completed form.",cSubmitAs:"PDF",cCharset:"utf-8"});

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc3368d

Level 1

This has worked perfectly for me! After many many hours of research!!

Thank you,

Former Community Member
Nick, Yes. You are correct. I opened the form in reader 8 and I got the "Select Email Client" dialog box. And stating again, I used the distribute form option present in Livecycle designer.

Do you have any pointers ??

Thanks,

Sreeraam Mohuna.

Former Community Member
Well, now I'm really baffled. Sorry for the side track, but I can't get my submit by email button to work with Reader version 8.

Anyhoo...back to your problem...

If your users are selecting "Desktop Application" and then clicking "Send Data File" and nothing happens, that probably means that they do not have a default email application set up. To change this, go to your control panel and double click "Internet Options." The second tab from the left is "Programs." Click it. Do you see were it says "E-mail:"? What does it say in that box? If it's blank, no default application is currrently set up. You'll need to pick the app of your choice from the dropdown menu.

Lemme know if that works for ya.

Former Community Member
I have created a form using Designer and opted for the Submit by Email function which places a button on my form. When the user sends the form back to me it is in an XML format and adobe acrobat or reader can not open the file again despite the promise that it can recompile to its original pdf state.

How can I resolve this or how can I have the actual form sent back to me?

This is extremely frustrating!

Former Community Member
I'm pretty sure it's possible to have the form itself emailed back to you, but I've never tried so I don't know how. ;)

If you have a copy of the form, you can simply import the XML data into the pdf form.

Why would you want to do this? What's your ultimate goal here?

Former Community Member
Hi Nick,

The default Email client in my machine is MS Office outlook. Still it does not work :(

But I have some interesting observation. This seems to work with Adobe Reader 7. Some of my team mates have Adobe 7 and it is working fine for them. Again with adobe 6, it gives more issues.

I am not sure the exact reason for this peculiar behavior. Can you try it in Adobe 7. May be it will work for you too.

Thanks,

Sreeraam Mohuna.

Former Community Member
That's just weird. Methinks Acrobat 8 has issues. Everything works fine for me with version 7.

Former Community Member
Supposedly when you initially add the "submit by Email" button on the form you can tell it to submit the entire pdf form with data vs sending only the fdf form data. I am currently trying to figure out how to change the submit by email button that has been set to FDF vs PDF. Good luck to us all. LOL

Former Community Member
I'm having the same request/issue as Ben D1 (above). My form needs to have an email button, where a user can submit their filled-out form via email once completed. This is purely for convenience-sake, much like the "Print" button; we're not collecting XML data or anything else. Having that button there visually, also helps remind users to submit it via email.

I've tried running the script that ChrisT above mentioned. While it works great and is what I'm looking for - I need the user to FIRST open the form, fill it out, then submit that completed form. I'm not script-savvy enough to tell it this. Any suggestions?

Former Community Member
I seem to be having the same issue. When a user clicks the .pdf to open, my outlook opens with the blank form attached. Is there a way to have the user open the form, complete, then submit?

Former Community Member
I'm creating an online job application form that the applicant can fill-in and submit back as the .pdf form with their data in it. Upon testing this form, only the .xml data is being transmitted back.

I'm using Designer8....I understand that when you place the "submit by email" button on your page that a 'control type' option and a submit tab should show up in the object properties. This isn't happening for me.

Is there a bug in D8?.....Is there a way I can set the parameter, as described above, in the .xml code?...how?

Former Community Member
I have exactly the same problem. I have a form which we would like to give to our customers to complete and email back (as a completed pdf) via email button to a specified email address.

Am greatful for any ideas. Nothing of the above worked for me but then I cannot program xml.

Former Community Member
Adobe 8 Professional allows you to "distribute" a form to your customers, have them fill out the data and e-mail it back to you. That process should work great for what you want to do.

I am still learning Adobe 8 Professional so I am not sure how much help I am going to be. I had to break down and pay Adobe Tech support 39.00 to show me how to do something. That was after spending several days on the Internet trying to Google specific phrases and keywords to see if I could find a how to document.

Hope this helps.

Former Community Member
I wanted to follow-up to my previous post:

Chris.T's suggestion/script above WORKS PERFECTLY - for those of us needing the completed form submitted by email in PDF format (not XML). Again, his script is:

event.target.submitForm({cURL:"mailto:mysister@myhouse.com?subject=Submitted Form&body=Please find attached the completed form.",cSubmitAs:"PDF",cCharset:"utf-8"});

I've placed this in a regular button, set to "click"...and it WORKS GREAT! I have Reader 8 and I'm able to fill out, save (after the form is enabled) and submit by email in the completed PDF format.

Hopefully this is the solution everyone else was needing too!

Former Community Member
As Chris and Gretchen have said...here are the steps I've used that work great:

1) Add a button (not the email submit button, just the "button")

2) Set the Control type to Submit

3) On the submit tab, add "mailto:mysister@myhouse.com" in the Submit to URL box

4) Change the submit as drop down to PDF

5) Save the form

6) Open the form in professional 8.0 (not livecycle designer)

7) Go to the Advanced option on the toolbar and select "Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader" which will require you to save the file again.

once you've done that you should have no problem with the emailing the completed form.

Former Community Member
my sister was wondering why so many people were emailing her forms..

Anyway.. glad the script worked. It doesn't happen often.

James.. I think the part you're missing by using your method is the addition of default text in Subject / Body of the email.. (I don't think you can change that when using the 'built-in' email submit function(?))

I guess you could also change the format of what is submitted to XML or XDP rather than PDF - and then just drag & drop / import the data to a blank copy of the form once you receive it. You will also save a lot of space in your email if receiving 5 kb files rather than the whole form - and there's a possibility people with only Reader can only send data rather than the whole form(?) Please correct me if I'm wrong!