Skip navigation

Submit by Email function

Mar 1, 2007 9:37 AM

Latest reply: JD-W, Oct 23, 2013 9:21 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2007 10:15 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Hi,
    I have been working the steps written by James, and I have one problem, I am working with Acrobat 7.0. Is there any way to do this with 7.0?

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2007 12:38 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Brittany,

As far as I know there isn't a way to do this in 7.0. Professional 8.0 is required for the "Enable Usage Rights" feature.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2007 7:17 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Okay, here's a new twist to this issue... I hope someone can help me out.

In Designer 8.0, I want a button that will e-mail the filled-in PDF form. BUT when the user clicks the button, they need to get a pop-up that lets them choose between their local e-mail client or by Web-based mail (e.g., Hotmail).

I need step-by-steps for this.

TIA,
    Glenn Cauley

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2007 8:08 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    OK, I have followed the instrcutions given here, and was still having no success. I re-opened the document in Acrobat 8 Professional to double-check the rights settings, and the debugger popped up with this message - has anyone else seen this?

RaiseError: Acrobat is unable to connect to your email program.
    Doc.submitForm:1:XFA:form1[0]:page_3[0]:Email_Submit_Button[0]:initial ize
    ===> Acrobat is unable to connect to your email program.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2007 7:25 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Hello everyone,

By following James's instruction using Chris's script, my form work perfectly, thank you. I now have the need to capture the text string (whatever users type in TextField4) and place it in the body of the Email. Replace "Please find attached the completed form." with value/text in TextField4.

How can I do this?

Thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2007 11:48 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    I got it; here is how , hope it can benefit someone:

var Comment = TextField4.rawValue;
    if (TextField4.rawValue == null){ Comment = " "} else {Comment = TextField4.rawValue};

event.target.submitForm({cURL:"mailto:someone@msn.com?subject=My Subject &body="+Comment+"",cSubmitAs:"PDF",cCharset:"utf-8"});

Thank you,

Khanh

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2007 11:31 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Thanks for the info, Khanh

Sorry to be dense, but would someone be able to give step-by-step instructions on how to insert this code for the button in question?

I know how to bring up the script editor window, but as for getting the code set up I need to know the following:

* Show field = set to what?
    * Language field = set to what?
    * Run At field = set to what?

Then do I just copy/paste the information you provided, and change the name of the field as appropriate?

In the "Object" dialog box for the button, I have it set to "Submit" control type... in the "Submit" tab page, what do I put into the field "Submit to URL" ???

TIA,
    Glenn Cauley
    Ottawa, Canada

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2007 12:24 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Using Adobe Pro 8 / Livecycle designer: Is there a way to have a submit button on a form that will email directly from the web server, rather than having the local email client pop up?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2007 1:51 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Glenn,

Here are the answers to use Khanhs code:

Show field = click (this tells the form to run the code when the button is clicked

Language field = javascript
    Run At field = client

paste the code that he provided:

var Comment = TextField4.rawValue;
    if (TextField4.rawValue == null){ Comment = " "} else {Comment = TextField4.rawValue};

event.target.submitForm({cURL:"mailto:someone@msn.com?subject=My Subject &body="+Comment+"",cSubmitAs:"PDF",cCharset:"utf-8"});

Change the TextField4.rawValue to your field (i.e. YourFieldName.rawValue;)

change the mailto:someone@msn.com to an email address you want it mailed to.

You can change the variable name (Comment) to something more meaningful but be sure to change it in each part of the code that it exists.

In the Object window, just leave it as regular, the code will change it to a submit button so you don't have to do it there.

I think this should work for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2007 5:19 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Thanks for your help, James.

I ran into some problems with this...

* "click" was not available in the list... only mouse up, mouse down (so I chose mouse up)

* I keep getting a pop-up that says "submit cancelled"

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2007 5:34 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Forget my last... I had forgotten to set the button control type to "regular"

All is good... thank you to everyone for their help!

This is a pretty powerful & versatile script... can fill in a lot of information by naming the comment something different.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2007 5:49 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Thank you James and Glenn for your help.
    I tried to do what you both said.
    I renamed the TextField4 to SubmitbyEmail then changed the email address. When I try to save it, it says failed and gives me a warning.. What am I doing wrong?
    Please help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2007 9:34 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Jackie,

can you copy/paste your code after the changes? that will help find the problem.

and khanh, thanks for the code, this was good work and very useful code.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2007 3:09 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Hi,
    I'm new to Acrobat Professional. I'm using Acrobat 8 Professional Trial version and able to configure it to submit a PDF form via email. However, when I opened the submitted form with Adobe Reader 7. The filled-in data were gone. Only the radio button selection was reserved. How do I fix this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2007 11:17 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    I just learned a lot in this thread. Still does not solve my problem. I need to submit via email but need the filename.xml to be unique or a concat of two field names.

Regards,
    Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2007 8:12 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Nicole...I've had a similar problem with users who submit the form via 7.0, the form seems to not retain the data. I just have them update to Reader 8.0.

David....I'm unsure how to change the file name when emailing the form. I think the route to take is to figure out how to programmatically save the file with the preferred file name first and then email the form.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2007 8:40 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Thank you, James.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2007 10:45 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    I have created a form in Livecycle Designer via Acrobat Pro 8. I have installed 3 email buttons inside the form for the document to be forwarded and reviewed/approved by various people. I need to have the whole form, as a PDF, emailed as an attachment. I don't want to XML data alone to be emailed.

I have seen a form do this. A gentleman, who i believe works for Adobe, sent me a sample form with the email button that, when clicked, attached the PDF file to the outgoing email, so i know it can be done.

Anyone?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2007 12:15 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Hi David,

Instead of using the E-mail Submit Button, use a standard button.

Select the button.

On the Object Palette / Field Tab / Control Type Radial button select "Submit".

A new "Submit" tab will be shown.

In the Submit to URL field type "mailto:any@emailaddress.com". If you only type "mailto:" the email message will populate and you can type the email address.

If you want to send the entire PDF you must change the Submit As option to PDF as the default is XML Data Package (XDP).

I hope this helps.
    Pam

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2007 12:25 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    it worked...thanks. But, the name of teh attached PDF was some arbitrary number like "_34893738928974.pdf". Is there a way to have a name retained or installed beforehand?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2007 12:34 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Hi Folks,

I continue to have a problem with 8.0. I created a form and used the submit button to have the completed form returned to two email addresses.

I used the Distribute Form tab and it asked for the email address I want the form to be returned too.

It will accept one email address.... but, not two. I am told I should be able to do this. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Joe

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2007 12:42 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Can you make an email group and use that for the "to" recipient?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2007 12:58 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Joe,

You can address more than one email address in the mailto: by separating the address by a ";" semi-colon.

example:
    mailto:pam_a@myisp.com;youremailaddress@blahblah.com

Have a gread day!
    Pam

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2007 1:05 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Geo,

I don't know how I would do this as it is looking for an email address not a group name. Should I create an email address for the group?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2007 1:13 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Pam,I tried that. Error message said to please enter a valid email address. As long as I used one, it's OK, after that I get the error message.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2007 4:35 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Joe,

Is the error message you are referring to in a window from Adobe Designer or your email software?

When are you getting the error message? When you click the button in Design and it populates the message body? or when you click on send the message?

Did you try copying what you have typed in the url mailto: string into a new message using your default email software? Try sending the test message and see if you get the same error.

Thanks
    Pam

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2007 8:22 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Hi Jame and everyone,

I just realized the problem is not only with Adobe Reader 7.
    The data submitted to my form still gets reset even I inserted data to the form using Adobe Pro 8 and saved it. Do you have any suggestion how to resolve this problem?
    Thanks in advance!
    -Nicole

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2007 12:03 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    hi folks,

could you tell me how to set modify the attachment name before sending e-mail!?

Thanks,

Djinges

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2007 1:45 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    hi david c soriano,

do you have found a solution for modifying or setting customed file name? It'd be nice to hearing from you!

Thanks,

Djinges

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2007 2:36 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Pam,
    The error message is from Adobe Designer and only occurs when I try to use two or more email addresses in the "Distribute Form" return email address line.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2007 4:14 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Joe,

I was able to recreate your error in Adobe Professional 8.1.0.

The message I'm receiving is "The specified return address is invalid. Only option is to click "OK".

My take on this programming is:
    In this first step of the wizard the email address you are to specify is "The email address to which the form data will return." This person will gather the data.

A few steps later is when you enter the addresses you want to distribute the form to.

You can still send the completed form to multiple people but they will not be able to gather the data. I explained how to do this in message #58 of this thread.

I have not tested using a group email address to gather the data. HOwever, I have distributed the form to a Company wide group email address successfully.

Make it a great day!
    Pam

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2007 5:37 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Pam,

Thanks... that's exactly what I got.

I need to be able to have the completed forms returned to two people, one internal and one external. Is that possible?

We don't need to "gather data". I just need to have a copy of the completed form returned to two people.

I had no trouble sending it out to a group.

Is it possible to edit a form once it has been created?

Again... THANKS!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2007 7:46 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Nicole, odd problem there. Can you verify a few things for...

After developing the form did you opened the form in Professional 8 and use the "Enabled Usage Rights in Adobe Reader" and resave the form

To submit the form, are you having it send the entire pdf or just the xml?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2007 8:00 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    I just found out what was wrong with the form. All the fields were in the Master page and the data was not retained. After I moved the fields into the Design View page, it works. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2007 8:20 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Joe,

Yes just open the form in Designer and create a standard button. Follow my steps in message #58 to configure it to submit.
    Hi David,

Instead of using the E-mail Submit Button, use a standard button.

Select the button.

On the Object Palette / Field Tab / Control Type Radial button select "Submit".

A new "Submit" tab will be shown.

In the Submit to URL field type "mailto:any@emailaddress.com". If you only type "mailto:" the email message will populate and you can type the email address.

If you want to send the entire PDF you must change the Submit As option to PDF as the default is XML Data Package (XDP).

Once the form is saved in Designer close it out. Reopen within Adobe Acrobat Professional and "Enable User Rights" from the Advanced Menu Option.

I hope this gives you all you need to be on your way.
    Have a great day!
    Pam

Pam

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2007 5:08 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Pam,

It worked! Thanks, Joe

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2007 7:39 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Does anyone know how to take this similar functionality and always have the pdf sent to an address the user cannot modify, and also prompt them where to send a carbon copy with the pdf attached?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2007 6:12 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    I am also having a problem saving the data in PDF forms.

I created a form using LiveCycle Designer. If I open the published/distributed form on my computer I am able to save the form and the data. My husband also has no problem on his computer (he also has Adobe 8 professional). However, when others without Adobe 8 professional open the form they receive a message that the data in this form cannot be saved and they must print the completed form (they have Adobe Reader 7.0).

I have tried using the Publish to Repository and the Distribute Form (save and send later) options. Neither solve my problem.

I have closed it and opened it in Acrobat 8 Professional, Clicked on ADVANCED, and then ENABLE USAGE RIGHTS. BUT . . . I get the message: "This document could not be reader enabled"

My goal is to create a form that can be saved by the user and uploaded to a facilitator in an online course once completed.

Can someone help?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2007 12:44 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Open the form in acrobat 8 (full)
    Enable the save function.
    Save the form.
    ulf.a@dtp-tjanst.se

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2007 12:18 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    I tried this procedure to return the form to two email addresses, but it still does not work. It will accept two addresses if I enter them as email1@domain.com,email2@domain.com (separated by only a comma or semi-colon), but it only composes the email to the second email address. Any help is appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)