Skip navigation

Submit by Email function

Mar 1, 2007 9:37 AM

Latest reply: JD-W, Oct 23, 2013 9:21 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2007 8:24 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Sandra,

Can you be more specific as to what procedure you are using to return the form to two email addresses? Is it during the Distribute form wizard? In the distribute form wizard the first email address it requests is who will be gathering the data. It will not accept more than one email address.

The next email address the Distribute form wizard requests is who the form will be distributed to. This step allows multiple email addresses.

Hope this helps.
    Pam

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2007 9:38 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Thank you all for posting excellent info here.<br />I'm using Designer 7, and have successfully used Chris's script to send xml data back to myself fom a pdf I emailed to my coworkers.<br /><br />Does anyone know how I can attach a stylesheet to the xml data before it's sent so that when I open the xml file in Excel, it's formatted by the stylesheet?<br /><br />Currently, I can open each xml attachment and add the code for the stylesheet, like this:<br /><br /><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><br /><?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="HotelForm_style.xsl" ?><br /><br /><form1<br /><br />--but I'd like for the stylesheet to be auto-added to the form or applied at some point, so that I can just open the attachments and not have to add code and resave.<br /><br />Any ideas on how to do this in Designer 7?<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />Kris

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2007 5:05 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    I am trying to setup the URL in submit form to replace in the URL mailto:employeeemailaddress.com an address in the form itself. Is this posible?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2007 8:49 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Hi. I am new to Adobe 8 Professional. I have created a form and enabled the "Submit by Email" button, however, when I fill out the form and I click that button, the form goes into my Outlook as an Email message, but the attachment is in xml format rather than pdf. Does anyone know how to keep it as a pdf file?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2007 9:45 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    I noticed that alot of people have asked about having the "submit" or "submit by email" buttons to be sent as a PDF. Is there anyway that the "submit" or "submit by email" button can send as as XLS, TXT or CSV file?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2007 9:47 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Katy - take a look at post #58 I think that has your answer

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2007 9:00 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Pam-

I have had the same problems as David with changing the emails from XML to PDF. I am very new with LiveCycle.

Can you tell me how to get to Object Palette/Field Tab/Control Type Radial Button?

Thanks!
    Jenna

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2007 9:02 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    If I send out these forms to people who have an older version of Adobe/Acrobat, will they be able to fill them out and submit them?

Thanks,
    Jenna

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2007 9:11 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Jenna,

I'm not sure if there are issues with people using older versions of adobe, but reader 8.0 is free to download so I've pushed the link to everyone within my company along with the pdf documents.

As for the button, if you insert a Button (the one actually named Button) right click on it, go to Palettes and select objects. It should come up with the Field tab, just below the middle you'll see 3 radio buttons which are the control type.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2007 9:13 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Thanks so much!
    Jenna

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2007 9:15 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    i have found that using older versions creates problems. Even with 7 i had a user not be able to fill out and submit as attachment or save filled out form onto hard drive. All otehr times people with 7 had been able to do that. Wierd.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2007 9:36 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    I know this is a dumb question, but in Pam's directions she said to type "mailto:any@emailaddress.com" in the Submit to URL field. Do I really type that in or do I put in the address I really want the form to go to? I didn't know if the mailto was a generic address or something.

Thanks,
    Jenna

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2007 9:43 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    The part that is required is the mailto:

so some examples are:

mailto:mickeymouse@disneyland.com

mailto:peterpan@neverland.com

you can also just put

mailto:

and this will open an email window with a blank To: field so the user will have to enter who the email is going to.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2007 1:11 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    I'm using Designer 7.0 for form creation, and testing the form in Reader 8.1.0.

Clicking a print button will launch my pc print window, but clicking a email submit button does nothing. It should launch an email... but no...

After the standard "submit by email" button creation did nto launch the email, I tried Pam's suggestion of using a standard button.

My email program will not launch when I have the saved form open in Reader 8. On the PDF Preview tab in Designer 7 though, a "Select Email Client" window does open.

Please give me any suggestions you have, because I'm at a loss...

Thanks.
    Lisa

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2007 1:46 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Does anyone know how to set up a button to submit both a PDF and an XML file? I can only seem to set it up for one or the other.

When I receive the information, I'd like to easily save/print the form for my records and be able to have the data in XML format so I can import it into Excel.

I'm using LiveCycle 8.

Thanks in advance!
    Becky

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2007 1:50 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Lisa,

In order for someone to be able to "submit by email" from adobe reader, you have to open the form in professional 8.0 and enable usage rights. Look at the posts around #18.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2007 9:52 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    KLH

I have a form created in Adobe 8 that can be filled in. I can see the filled in data in the form fileds on my screen but cannot print the form and the data together. No one seems to know why it won't print. I get blank forms every time. Does anyone know how to make the forms print with the data as seen on screen?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2007 1:11 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Hi All -

I have another twist in the 'returning a completed form to multiple programmed email addresses' issue. I am using Acrobat 8 Pro w/LiveCycle on a PC which only has web access to email.

When I click on "Distribute Form" from either 8 Pro or LiveCycle, I have to choose "Save and Send Later" as the distribution method.

As stated previously, the "Return forms to this email address" box which pops up will only allow one email address.

I have tried the steps listed in post #58 to no avail.

I need to have 2 return email addresses attached to the button for the submitter to click.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Karen

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2007 2:08 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Karen,

I had the exact same problem and post #58 will resolve the issue. Make sure to use "Button" from the object palette. Use "Submit" for the "Control Type". You will then see "Submit" tab appear next to the "Field" tab. When you click on the "Submit" tab you will see a box where you can enter multiple email addresses.

I hope this helps,

Joe

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2007 7:18 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Mike Upton, did you ever figure out how to insert user-entered text after mailto:

Mike Upton, "Submit by Email function" #82, 16 Jul 2007 6:05 pm

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2007 11:32 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    This may be a repeat. If so, I'm sorry. But I'm trying to follow the message threads.

I created a form using LiveCycle Designer 7.0. Instead of using the Submit by Email button, I used the Button in the palette. I went to the Object tab and selected the following:

Submit Format: PDF
    Submit to URL: mailto:(designated email address)

Users are opening the form with Reader 7.03. They fill out the fields present on the form and when they click the button they are being prompted to send a data file, print the form, or cancel. When the user selects send the data file, outlook opens with a message and an xml attachment. Instead of sending an xml attachment, what do I need to do to in order for the user to send a PDF file with the information they inputted in the fields?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2007 1:10 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    See this post (above):

James Robert Smith - 3:44pm Mar 19, 07 PST (#18 of 100) Edited: 19-Mar-2007 at 03:58pm

As mentioned in Designer Help, do not choose the PDF Submit option if the form will be filled in Adobe Reader without the user of LiveCycle Reader Extensions:

PDF Submits a package containing an embedded PDF file. Choose this format if the form contains a signature field, or if a copy of the form together with its data needs to be saved by LiveCycle Forms or submitted to some other kind of target server. Do not choose this option if the form initiates server-side processing, if LiveCycle Forms will be used to render HTML or dynamic forms at run time, or if the form is a PDF form that will be filled in Adobe Reader without the use of LiveCycle Reader Extensions.

Regards,

Hélène
    Adobe Systems

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2007 8:09 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Still no thoughts on programmatically setting the filename when emailing the form?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2007 8:14 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    I am having the same problem as posted by Kristi Schneider - (#81)<br /><br />Currently, I can open each xml attachment and add the code for the stylesheet, like this: <br /><br /><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <br /><?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="HotelForm_style.xsl" ?> <br /><br /><form1 <br /><br />--but I'd like for the stylesheet to be auto-added to the form or applied at some point, so that I can just open the attachments and not have to add code and resave. <br /><br />Does anyone have any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2007 12:57 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Anybody on: programmatically setting the filename when emailing the form?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2007 7:39 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Hi. I'm using Livecycle with Acrobat Pro 8.1.1. I've created a fax form for the whole company to use. Has a few required fields. I don't need to collect the data, just want everyone to get the form for their own use. Is it better to submit the document to all, or just as an attachment to an e-mail to all? I just attached it to an e-mail and one person is having trouble with "0" showing in the fields and that person also has to click on the field to highlight it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thnx.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2007 9:22 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    When using Acrobat to create pdfs for our website, the e-mail addresses within the pdf changes the email address eg. john.smith@address.com changes to smith@address.com. These are Word documents (2003) converted to pdf. The pdf email link no longer works after converting and uploading to the web. Any solutions?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2007 11:36 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    to James Robert Smith: Thank you Thank You Thank You!!!!! #18 is the missing step - here it is again. This works!!!!!

1) Add a button (not the email submit button, just the "button")
    2) Set the Control type to Submit
    3) On the submit tab, add "mailto:mysister@myhouse.com" in the Submit to URL box
    4) Change the submit as drop down to PDF
    5) Save the form
    6) Open the form in professional 8.0 (not livecycle designer)
    7) Go to the Advanced option on the toolbar and select "Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader" which will require you to save the file again.

once you've done that you should have no problem with the emailing the completed form.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2007 12:27 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Dear Becky Terhaar (post #94),

Regarding your questions about having a submit button send both an XML and a PDF file.  I have found a solution, although it is by no means elegant and I believe it is not recommended by Adobe because it requires alteration of the XML source code in Livecycle Designer.

If you go to the XML source code for the button you will find the code:

Simply copy this and paste it again directly below and change the submit format.  So you end up with:

When you click the submit button, it will open up an email window and send the XML version, once sent it will open a second email window and send the PDF version.

Like I said, by no means elegant but it works.  This will also provide a solution to sending the form to two different email adresses.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2007 4:25 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Hi Becky, further to my last re #94. Turns out the ability to post both XML and PDF version is a null requirement. Once you receive the returned form you can convert it between these two formats by opening the file and using File>form data>import to or export from options.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2008 2:44 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Still, can not sent to more than one e-mail address.

1) Add a button (not the email submit button, just the "button")
    2) Set the Control type to Submit
    3) On the submit tab, I enter "mailto:mysister@myhouse.com?subject=Submitted Form&body=Please find attached the completed form" in the Submit to URL box
    4) Change the submit as drop down to PDF or XML
    5) Save the form
    6) Open the form in professional 8.0 (not livecycle designer)
    7) Go to the Advanced option on the toolbar and select "Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader"

This works!

However the moment I try to add a second e-mail address ie.

"mailto:mysister@myhouse.com,nobody@home.com?subject=Submitted Form&body=Please find attached the completed form"

It seems that depending on if I use ":" or ";" I will only get ONE address populated OR if "," an error telling me that it does not recognise the ",".

This is driving me MAD... Can some one please provide a simple straight forward solution. There are lost of posts and many answers point to a simple solution, that does not work as expected.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2008 6:11 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Hi all,

I'm new to this, so I'm hoping someone can help me figure my issue out. I have created a form in LiveCycle Designer and have linked the form to our Intranet for our staff to access and use. I followed the aforementioned instructions to create my button instead of the "Submit by Email" button, but when the form is opened in Reader and the button is clicked our staff is getting the following message:

Error opening URL to submit this form

I double checked the mailto: address and it is correct, so I'm not sure what else I am missing. Our staff currently is using Reader 7 if that helps too.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

-Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2008 9:17 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Comp_dad and Ken, try this:

change the control type of your "Button" to Regular. on the click event add the following:

event.target.submitForm({cURL:"mailto:mysister@myhouse.com;nobody@home .com?subject=Submitted Form&body=Please find attached the completed form.",cSubmitAs:"PDF",cCharset:"utf-8"});

see if that works

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2008 7:55 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    I forgot to mention that you need to change the programming language to JavaScript for that.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2008 10:30 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Hey everyone,
    I was reading the different posts about adding multiple recipients for the return of a form. Well I called adobe and they just suck *!@#$. Well, without their help I figured out a way to figure out this method. Create a distribution list with a particular email address and add the addresses you would like the distribution list to send to. Its simple and it worked for me.
    Good Luck,
    Zae

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2008 10:38 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    This can work, but only if every user has that distribution list as well. Unfortunately its not an efficient way of sending to multiple email addresses since you can't control what distribution lists your form users have.

On the other hand, if it's an internal form where users authenticate to active directory and you set up an email list in AD, it would work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2008 3:48 PM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    I have created a field form with a "Submit By Email" option at the end. Those users with Outlook don't seem to have a problem; a new email is launched with the appropriate .xml file. However, those using an MSN or internet email account have reported that MSN protects the attachment from being attached or others say the email is created, but no attachment appears. It's blank. They can't save the .xml file in Reader so they don't have way to send the form they just filled out. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2008 8:06 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    I made a form, and want the responders to e-mail the data back to me. A lot of my responders do not use outlook or other local e mail programs, but use hotmail etc and acrobat reader. When they click at the e-mail button, they get a message that e mail program is not installed.

Therefore I want to make a buttom which save the data in a XML Data Package (XDP). The responder can then save the data, and then log into hotmail and attach the da file(and then send it to me)

How can I do this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2008 11:11 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Thanks to all the post pertaining to submit data, I was able to create and link to my web site a couple of data obtaining forms. However, since my organization has switched to Internet Explorer 7, the forms are not working properly.
    I have updated my software, but now I have no way of knowing whether the form has been submitted. (When the form was working correctly...when I clicked to submit, Outlook opened up and showed the form attached. Now when I click Submit....nothing.) However, my boss tells me he is getting them, but I need for the user to know that their form has been submitted. Any suggestions????

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2008 6:49 AM   in reply to (jhadur_ducharme)
    Re: changing the name of the attachment.

There hasn't been much of any answer on this one, but I do note that the name of the attachment appears to be derived from the name of the form (e.g., "Request Form.pdf" gives "Request Form_data.xml"). With that realization, perhaps a simple solution is to rename the form?? (I'd rather be able to control the name programmatically, but no one seems to know how to do that).

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)