Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adobe Reader Users can not submit form

Former Community Member
Hello,

I have created a form with LiveCycle 8.0. The form has a submit button to submit a pdf of the completed form via email. The form works when I test it on any users computer with Adobe professional installed. However, anyone that only has Adobe Reader 8 installed can only open the form and enter data....the submit button will not work for these users.

Could anyone please give me some advice? I need users without Adobe Pro to be able to open, fill out the form, and send via the submit button/email.

Thanks for any help

Brett
22 Replies

Former Community Member
Hello,

I have created a PDF form in adobe Designer Live Cycle 7.0. I want to send this form in an email to people, have them fill out the PDF and then click SUBMIT and send it back to me. When testing I click the send button in my email client it just won't work. I set up the email SUBMIT node to "PDF" and filled out the mailto:xxxx@xxx.com. correctly. Again when it opens in the email client it just won't send.

Thank you to anyone who could help.

Tom

Level 7
Sounds as if you may be trying to send a PDF (rather than form data)

from the free Reader.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
and the difference is??? please explain further. I am also trying to create a form.

When testing I can fill out the first line in the form hit send and the form gets sent.

If I put more info in the form when i hit send the email editor comes up, but instead of the send button i see this email was not sent. And I can not send it..

Anne

Level 7
>and the difference is???

The difference between sending form data and sending a PDF?

The key difference is that Reader can only do the first! (Except for

Reader enabled forms).

Your problem does not sound related to the one above, I recommend

starting a new thread. In any case please use the right forum, the

original message we're all replying too was in the forum for LiveCycle

PDF Generator.

If the form is made in LiveCycle Designer, please try the LiveCycle

Designer forum. Otherwise please try the Acrobat Windows or Acrobat

Macintosh forum.

Good luck,

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Not very helpful are they... This is one way to do it (it's never easy in Acrobat).

Open as a Livecycle form

Select Window menu and make sure /Library/ and /Object are checked

Drag a print button from the pallet onto your form

Change the field type to button

Change the control type to submit

On the submit tab [Submit to URL:] enter "mailto:xx@xx.xxx"

Change the submit as filed to PDF

Save

Open the form in Acrobat Pro

Select advanced menu

Click enable usage right in Adobe Reader

Save

Former Community Member
I'm new to the Adobe LiveCycle world and was feeling quite confident in the forms I was creating, until I had the same problem that Brett Sarraiocco had ((05:17am Aug 3, 2007). I'm curious to learn if anyone was ever able to answer Brett's query (how to create a email-submittable form that users without Adobe Pro can open, fill out, and send via the submit button/email) or if anyone has further information. Thank you.

Level 7
Yes, it has now been answered in considerable detail, even though it's

in the wrong forum.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Lyle -

Thanks for answering the question so well. However when I got to the point of going into Acrobat and going to the Advanced Menu, I didn't have the choice of clicking "enable usage" ? Am I looking in the wrong place or maybe I have an old version (7.0). ? I think this is why my form is still not working. Thanks.

Level 7
> I have an old version (7.0). ?

yes, this is new in 8.0.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Lyle's method is what I also got from Adobe tech services. And it works, except for Mac Users. How come Macs can't use the submit button and how do I fix this?

Level 7
For a mailto "submit" to work there has to be a compatible e-mail

client. There are millions of PC users who don't (e.g. people with

hotmail, gmail, yahoo), and many Mac users too.

"Submitting" by email is best thought of as a toy for testing, nothing

to be considered for a live system. For anything of any importance,

you need a web programmer to create a server-side solution on a web

server.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Similar problem. I am hearing from those using Yahoo mail, that the form cannot be submitted from our organization's web site. Does this make sense to anyone?

David Jones

Level 7
>Similar problem. I am hearing from those using Yahoo mail, that the form cannot be submitted from our organization's web site. Does this make sense to anyone?

It does if you are trying to do an "email submit". This is one of many

reasons why email is only suitable for testing, not live applications.

Use http submit.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
I have done what Lyle Huff describe, it work fine, but every time I open the document (Acrobat free or Pro v9) I get an error (twice)

"this task is not autorize" (I have a french version and it's " Cette Opération n'est pas autorisée)

But after I click yes on the 2 same error messages, the document is working and I can send it via e-mail in Acrobat Reader...

Any idea what is the problem ??

Thank you

JF Fortier

Former Community Member
I've created a PDF in Nitro PDF X or whatever you call it and when i open it in Adobe reader 8.0 and try to fill it in and then save it it won't let me. I want to be able to send it out as an email and have the person at the other end fill it in and then email it back to me completed. I want to add a print button and an email submit button but I don't know how to?? can you please explain to me how I do this.

Former Community Member
I've created a PDF in Nitro PDF X or whatever you call it and when i open it in Adove reader 8.0 and try to fill it in and then save it it won't let me. I wnat to be able to send it out as an email and have the person at the other end fill it in and then email it back to me completed. I want to add a print button and an email submit button but i don't know how to?? can you please explain to me how i do this.

Former Community Member
HELP!

I need to submit a grant in Adobe READER instead of ACROBAT, I am at a loss as to how to do this and the grant is due NOW, can anyone help? anita@uvic.ca

Former Community Member
HELP -- I need to submit a grant application in Adobe READER not Adobe Acrobat. Very tight deadline, can anyone help me with this?? Doesn't make sense to me!

Level 1

can you plaese tell me how you figured this out. I have Acrobat 7 and can not get Reader users to submit it.