Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Email PDF Form as a PDF Document

Feb 12, 2008 2:25 PM

Hi All,

My apologies if this has been answered - if so please point me to the post. I've looked and can't find the relevant discussion.

I am using Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8 to create a PDF form and using an email button to submit the form as a PDF. Once all the fields are filled out I need this document to save as a regular, unalterable, PDF. This will be emailed to a secretary who only has Acro Reader 8 (tho I could get her Acro Pro, I'd rather avoid buying another license) and she needs to save this electronically as a permanent copy of the file. When she receives the email tries to save though it says she can only save as a blank doc. This completely defeats the purpose of the exercise. The form needs to be rendered and submitted as a PDF doc not a PDF form. I'm stumped.

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated!

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2008 1:06 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    I'm confused... I'm trying to do the same thing and have never really used PDF forms before but it is the ideal solution to my situation at the moment... I now have the submit button sending the filled out PDF FORM but not the flattened unchangeable PDF. According to this thread, am I supposed to have something additional installed on the server? Either way, what does the code look like for such a servlet that would flatten the form?

My users need to be able to fill out the form and submit the static PDF via email.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2008 4:51 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Stacey, if you want the end users to submit the "pdf content" by clicking the submit button the end user will either have to submit it using Acrobat or you will have to ReaderExtend the form so that they can submit it using Reader.,If you want to flatten the form after you have received it, you can hook it up to a process which flattens the pdf.
    email me mergeandfuse@gmail.com and I can show you the way to do it

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2008 6:36 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Hello,

Very similar situation here. We have a few PDF forms we want to send via PHP and have the end user see the flat PDF upon submission.

Another requirement is that the data within the PDF form is sensitive data. If the form is emailed, can the data be hacked from the PDF? Is it better to have the user fill out the PDF, and have our PHP send the data or will the email of the PDF keep the data secure?

Here's the last question. For the person submitting the form, I'm assumming they can do this with just having the adobe reader. Is this correct?

Thank you,
    Rhonda

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2008 4:07 AM   in reply to (Rhonda_Nowak)
    > If the form is emailed, can the data be hacked from the PDF?

Certainly.

>Is it better to have the user fill out the PDF, and have our PHP send the data or will the email of the PDF keep the data secure?

Bear in mind that a PHP is also completely insecure unless you use a
    secure server (https, not http). And if the PHP sends an e-mail that
    is insecure, by definition.

A secure solution would be to store the information on the server, and
    send an email saying that a form has been submitted. Then the person
    responsible can run a different, protected, PHP to get the
    information. Also https.

>Here's the last question. For the person submitting the form, I'm assumming they can do this with just having the adobe reader. Is this correct?

So long as you do not try to submit in PDF format, and don't want
    digital signatures. You must submit the form data, not the PDF.

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2008 8:33 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Thank you for the answer. Another quick question regarding the PDF submit. With only having Adobe Acrobat 9.0 with Lifecycle Designer, can a person go to a fillable PDF, fill it out online, press the Submit button and have the PDF attach to the email or does that require the extensions that I've been reading about?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2008 7:33 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Yes you can email without extensions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2008 11:26 AM   in reply to (Rhonda_Nowak)
    > With only having Adobe Acrobat 9.0 with Lifecycle Designer
    > can a person go to a fillable PDF, fill it out online, press the Submit button and have the PDF attach to the email

Someone with Acrobat can do this, certainly. (Assuming there is a
    suitable e-mail program, set up and working: email is NOT a reliable
    way of working in general).

Or is your question really about whether someone with only the free
    Adobe Reader can do that on your computer.

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2008 12:20 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Your secretary should be able to simply copy that attachment from email to a local drive, instead of opening in Reader then performing a save. Or you can Reader Extend the file using LiveCycle ES Reader Extensions and/or Acrobat Pro's 'Advanced > Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader', prior to sending out the original fillable form. Adding usage rights will allow users with Reader to fill/save and email back the entire PDF document. Please note that Acrobat Pro's Advanced > Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader has a licensing restriction (you will have to verify, but I think it is limited to under 500 recipients for the extended doc)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2008 5:50 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Hi, we have a similar problem but we need to email a partially completed form between departments, is there anyway we can do that.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jul 17, 2008 5:03 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Hi All,

I am facing a similar problem but i am using different tools. I really need help.
    I wish to create a form using open office and then export it to pdf so that i can have an editable pdf form (i know how to make one and how to export).The thing is that i also wish to include a button which when pressed "flattens the pdf" i.e. save the details and then send it to outlook as an attachment with the "send field" in outlook having an predefined email address. I have been searching through web pages but nothing is helping me out. Any help in this matter is appreciated. Thanks a lot devoting time in this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2008 7:59 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    The flattening will have to be done programatically (turning each field into a protected field). Then you can add a regular button and set it as a submit button. By using the mailto protocol as your submit URL you can control the TO, CC, Subject and Body.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2008 12:09 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Hi, I need help.
    I need to make a submit button in my pdf form, but all my stuff have only free acrobat reader. So after client fill the form out online I need him/her to click submit button and all entire pdf form will go to my e-mail. Without using such a programs like outlook etc. Do I need some script on the web server ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Yuriy

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2008 12:36 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    You can submit to your webserver and have it do the email.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2008 1:09 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Dear Paul.

Could you be more specific I need more info. What exactly do I need to do ? I'm not very good in it.

Thanks a lot.

Yuriy

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2008 3:30 PM   in reply to (Yuriy_Ukrainian)
    You need to have a web programmer make a program (ASP, CGI, PHP,
    something like that) to do the job, and it goes on your web server.

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2008 5:47 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Thanks for your help Aandi

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2008 3:02 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Phrase Express does not work when Victors (our current project) is opened up with a Firefox Browser.
    Phrase Express is a tool that will allow a pre-typed clause to be populated onto the title (or tax) typing form. When Victors is opened in IE, the tool works perfectly. If Victors is opened in Firefox (either 2.0 or 3.0), the typing form loses focus when Phrase Express is accessed, and so the clause does not know where to go. If you use a hot key from Phrase Express (such as Ctrl-Shift-O for the degree symbol), Phrase Express does not lose focus, and can be used.
    We also loaded at different websites and saw that Phrase Express will lose focus in them when using a Firefox browser as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2008 8:30 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    I an using LiveCycle Designer ES

I am creating an interactive PDF which is going to be mailed to the heads of various departments. Who will then send to their agents.

The agents are to fill it in and "click the send" button - submitting it back to the various departments BUT - the default is to me.

How can I change the default or leave it blank to be filled in by the sende on my pdfs

Thank you,

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2008 8:36 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    My apologies if this is the wrong section but:

Is there a way to include "attachments" in the e-mail dialogue box when sending back an interactive PDF?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2008 11:06 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Hello All,
    How do I fill the form?
    Thanks you for your help
    John

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2008 8:23 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Here is a blog post on the topic w/ a sample form:

http://livecycleapps.wordpress.com/2008/07/28/a-submit-button-that-wil l-send-an-entire-pdf/

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2008 9:39 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    I have Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended. When I try to open pdf files, it opens the Life Cycle Designer rather than a reader. How can I change this setting?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2008 12:53 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    is it possible to submit a form in pdf format to an e-mail address without it opening the clients outlook in order to send, i simply want them to click submit, and it to send to my mailbox with the info as follows

subject: Timesheet
    Attach: Timesheet.pdf
    body: Attached is this weeks timesheet

all i want the page visitor to do is fill in the info, and click "submit via e-mail" no outlook, no attaching, simply click and done.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 3:51 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    No ...that would be a breach of security (potentially doing something without the users knowledge)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2008 4:52 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    I used LiveCycle Designer 7.0 to create a fillable form. However, when the users fill in the form the are unable to save it. Can I use this program to enable the user to save the file? If not, what program can I use?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2008 4:54 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    The form needs to be "Reader Extended". You can use Acrobat to do this or you can use LiveCycle Reader Extensions.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2008 5:11 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    I assume that your users are using the free Adobe Reader and not the full Adobe Acrobat product. In that case then you are correct, users cannot save forms with data locally.

To enable that ability you need to Reader Extend the forms either by using LiveCycle Reader Extensions (server side as part of a process or in batch) or using Acrobat 8 or higher (for a one off operation). Acrobat 8+ has the ability under the Advanced > Extend Features option.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Oct 5, 2008 8:07 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    I am using Reader and can't save my data and suggestions?
    Thks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2008 3:17 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Hi
    Please follow the instruction on this blog to accomplish sending PDF by email
    http://eslifeline.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/submit-pdf-by-email/
    thanks
    girish

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2008 7:16 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Hi,

I have my button sending a PDF by email, but I need to send to multiple recipients. Has anyone done this?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2008 2:50 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Separate the address by a semi colon ;

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2008 3:36 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Thanks Paul,

I was using a comma (duh) and it obviously didn't work. It's always syntax, isn't it? :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2008 5:49 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Paul,

You are obviously very knowledgeable regarding LiveCycle. Can you tell me, now that I have the PDF emailing using this technique, is it also possible to submit the data as XML to a web page URL simultaneously?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2008 1:31 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Sure ....I would make the email submit button invisible. Add a second submit button and configure it to do the data submission to your desired URL. Now make that one invisible. Add a third button (regular so you can program against it). Now you can programmatically click the two buttons. To do that you woudl use the command:

buttonname.execEvent("click").

You would need one command for each button.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2008 7:31 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Ah, simple and clever. But doing this does throw up an IE security warning about the application trying to access multiple URL's.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2008 7:54 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    There is nothing I can do about that.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2008 8:33 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Nah, I didn't figure there would be. It's a MS IE security setting issue, and as a developer we never know how strong a user may have his secruity set. But I do thank you for your help to this point. It's appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2009 1:40 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Hi,

I have created a interactive form that can be emailed. I need to secure the form so that the end user cannot save it in Adobe Reader. How can I do this? I was able to disable the print option in the form properties but I need to disable to save option also.

Thanks for your help.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)