Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

LR2 Does Not Support .rw2 RAW File

Aug 12, 2008 8:01 PM

Hi. I recently downloaded RAW files taken by the new Panasonic LX3 digital camera from this website:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_panasonic_lumix_dmc_lx3_3.php

(see bottom of the page for the RAW images)

The RAW files have an extension of: .rw2

I tried importing one of the RAW files in LR2 and it doesn't seem recognize the file. It gave me this message: "No photos were found to import."

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 12, 2008 9:41 PM   in reply to (IIIV)
    You can check which cameras are supported on this page.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

Camera Raw updates are made 3-4 times a year and we have just had one with the release of ACR 4.5 and Lightroom 2.0.

So you may have to wait a bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2008 12:43 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    I've just been there too.

Tired of looking for a compact with a decent IQ at least at the base ISO. Looks like LX3 is the one.

Would appreciate if somebody point to a raw converter (other than manufacturer's) to open these files.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2008 1:17 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    dcRaw will probably be the first, followed by Bibble

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2008 2:19 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    You should see prompt support from SilkyPix who generally make releases very often.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2008 10:56 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    would be nice if Adobe actually said," Hey Guys, update coming in 2 weeks, sorry we did nto get it right the 1st time ( erm like 1.4 to 1.41)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2008 11:13 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    What didn't they get right the first time w.r.t. this?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2008 11:18 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    The ordered up the wrong crystal ball

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2008 11:18 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    Nothing...his post was irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2008 11:35 PM   in reply to (IIIV)
    Silky Pix is able to process .RW2 since it ships with the LX3. BTW... just got my LX3 and so far so good.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2008 6:13 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    I need a p&s camera that will shoot RAW. Am considering purchasing the LX3. So ... how can I work on the .RW2 files in LR2 and PS? Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2008 7:17 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    > Am considering purchasing the LX3. So ... how can I work on the .RW2 files in LR2 and PS?

The correct answer is that you will be able, and it's only a question of when. My own guess would be relative to many cameras having just been announced at Photokina. Adobe must have their hands full, but I'll bet they deliver before the end of October, certainly before the end of November.

The LX3 has also been out long enough that you may even find "unofficial" support for it in ACR v4.6.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2008 3:41 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    I've just bought an LX3 and the results look great. It's a 100% improvement on my old LX1. The only drawback is the .rw2 raw files. Could Adobe please give any idea when an ACR update may appear so I can use my beloved LR2 instead of the useless Lumix software.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2008 4:30 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    There is no support currently, official or unofficial, in CR 4.6 RC or LR 2.1 RC. This is regrettable, but an unfortunate consequence of the current situation. We hope to have this fully resolved soon. (Sorry, no, I cannot specify an exact date.)

No need to tell us that other raw converters already support the LX3. Believe me, we are fully aware of it. There is a very specific reason that CR / LR doesn't yet support the LX3. If you would like an explanation, please ask Panasonic.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2008 5:27 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    Thanks Eric,
    I will wait with baited breath. I know these things aren't always easy but I'm just going off on the trip of lifetime and can't bear the idea that I may not be able to get the best from my raws.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2008 9:03 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    Please provide an update for the RW2 format, its been released for over 2 months now... what's the issue with Panasonic's? Should i return my LX3?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2008 2:25 PM   in reply to (IIIV)
    >Please provide an update for the RW2 format, its been released for over 2 months now... what's the issue with Panasonic's? Should i return my LX3?

Please read message #14.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2008 4:34 PM   in reply to (IIIV)
    Eric, does the delay in supporting the LX3 have anything to do with Panasonic wanting Adobe to incorporate correction for barrel distortion? I have converted some RW2's with dcraw and was surprised at how much correction is happening both in the in-camera jpeg engine, and in SilkyPix as well (which, unfortunately, is hugely inferior to your products).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2008 3:53 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    No comment...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2008 4:48 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    I will take that as a yes... ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2008 5:52 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    Very interesting observation.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2008 6:31 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    Personally, I'd be content to have distorted raw files. There is more visual information in the frame than in the jpegs, and only certain subjects require the correction, which is easy enough to accomplish in Photoshop. I hope that Panasonic isn't paranoid that "the truth will get out" about this lens, which I think is quite good, for a P&S camera, in spite of the distortion and purple fringing.

But a part of me strongly suspects I'm going to end up having to just shoot jpegs with this thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2008 10:19 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    "I hope that Panasonic isn't paranoid that "the truth will get out" about this lens, which I think is quite good, for a P&S camera, in spite of the distortion and purple fringing."

The camera ships with a RAW processor that reveals the distortion and purple fringing, does it not?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2008 10:23 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    I believe SilkyPix is correcting the barrel distortion, as the in-camera jpeg processor does. Not sure about the fringing. I do think the in-camera anti-fringing correction is superb--better than Lightroom's, in fact! But SilkyPix really can't compare to Adobe's overall IQ level.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2008 10:29 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    You're right! Check out this review -> http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64332. There is a ton of detail in that file converted using dcraw.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2008 10:33 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    Amin, that's me who put up that review! I'm mabelsound on there. I intentionally oversharpened the raw conversion to show how much detail is in there, so you'd probably lose some of it if you like less grain. But it is indeed in there.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2008 4:03 PM   in reply to (IIIV)
    Quote "I do think the in-camera anti-fringing correction is superb--better than Lightroom's, in fact! But SilkyPix really can't compare to Adobe's overall IQ level."

Not my experience, I use several converters for my raw Olympus files including LR, SilkyPix, Bibble and certainly find SilkyPix IQ output to be comparable or better than LR.
    I however prefer the user interface and tools available in Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2008 3:18 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    Mr Adobe, I am on me knees.

Please get together with Mr Panasonic and include the RW2 raw format in you next RAW plugin update. Its getting pretty uncomfortable on my knees. I've been here for over two months now. If its work mentioning, SilkyPix is not a patch on your ACR product. Come on Mr Adobe, we pay a premium price for your great product, please support other companies great productsas well!

Let me know ASAP when I can get of my knees!!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2008 1:00 PM   in reply to (IIIV)
    Mark, please read post #14 very, very carefully. Then please read it again. Especially the last paragraph.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2008 2:24 PM   in reply to (IIIV)
    Read this article, which quotes from this very thread:

http://www.seriouscompacts.com/2008/10/is-panasonic-hindering-third-pa rty-lx3.html

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2008 4:45 PM   in reply to (IIIV)
    By the way, Eric, I wrote to Panasonic, and they of course blamed Adobe. "We have no control over third-party etc etc etc."

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2008 4:13 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    >By the way, Eric, I wrote to Panasonic, and they of course blamed Adobe. "We have no control over third-party etc etc etc."

If, as has been implied, Panasonic are insisting that raw converters must correct the barrel distortion present in the LX3, then Adobe cannot do anything about this. Lightroom does not possess the functionality to do this!

I have been known to voice the odd criticism or so about Adobe in the past, but in this case there is no way they are at fault.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2008 5:04 PM   in reply to (IIIV)
    I. Room, can you provide the link or email address to write to Panasonic?
    I want to tell them my opinion as well, which is that I will not buy their camera until their RAW format is supported in Lightroom 2 and Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2008 3:42 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    I just filled out the online email form on their support page...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2008 11:33 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    Now that cameras are designed as software/hardware systems (how else would you get this fast and this wide in a P&S?), I'll settle for software that isn't my primary choice, but that automatically corrects CA and distortion - I don't want to have to do that for each picture, since the amount is dependent on exposure choices for each picture!!!

Of, course, I'd prefer greatly to have it be ACR instead of Silkypix.....

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2008 12:10 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    The problem with Lightroom not supporting rw2 is not only in connection to post processing. I use Lightroom to archive my files but rw2-files don't show up. Can't add og extract metadata.

Or is there a way around this? Installed the codec that are on Panasonics website, but it only works for Expression Media. Not any Adobe products, as far as I can tell.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2008 8:44 AM   in reply to (IIIV)
    No workaround at the moment. But you won't have to wait long for a real solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2008 4:20 PM   in reply to (IIIV)
    Glad to hear it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2008 6:06 PM   in reply to (IIIV)
    same here. Looking forward to it.
    Assuming that the hold-up has to do with the barrel distortion issue, will Lightroom be able to pass the lens distortion settings to Photoshop directly, so that the correction can be automated?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)