Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Moving images to another drive

Mar 6, 2009 9:50 AM

I need to move all my images to a larger drive. Currently they are all on d:\photos. They will move to e:\photos. How can I do this without affecting keywords, settings, etc. in my existing LR library?
Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2009 10:54 AM   in reply to imacken
    The easiest way I do this is to copy the top folder containing the images to the new drive, then change the name of the top folder on the old drive so LR "loses" it. Then using menu, link the .lrcat to the top folder in the new location. This assumes your .lrcat is on the main internal and you want to keep it there. You should lose nothing!

You can also move the .lrcat to the new location and the Previews file if you don't wish to rebuild it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2009 11:22 AM   in reply to imacken
    Right-click on the folder name in the library module. Choose the option that lets you locate a folder. Navigate to the new location and choose the folder. Done. :)

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2009 11:33 AM   in reply to imacken
    Alternative method:

- using Windows Explorer, copy the folders from D drive to E (maintain exact same file structure)

- once copy function is complete, right-click top level folder in Folders panel and choose Update Folder Location

- when prompted, navigate to same named folder on new drive and select

Lightroom will now point to the new folder on the new drive.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)