Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Red eye correction doesn't work

Mar 6, 2007 8:04 AM

I am sure I am missing something but I can't make the red eye correction work.
On MacBook in the Develop module, I click on the red eye which becomes red. I draw the square around the pupil but I can't make it to stay there. I try clicking on "pupil size" and "darken" but they don't respond. What am I missing? Thanks for you advice

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2007 8:29 AM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    Draw the box around the entire eye.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2007 9:01 AM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    I'm having a similar problem as I can correct 1 red eye, but can't correct a second red eye by moving a box around the second eye.

Thanks

MikeyM

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2007 11:58 AM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    Lightening, even temporarily has been known to help. Also one user said he did it by doing the one and Cloning the other!

Don
    MVC! Don Ricklin, MacBook 1.83Ghz Duo 2 Core, Pentax *ist D
    http://donricklin.blogspot.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2007 12:09 PM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    MikeyM, I use a box for each eye rather than moving the box from one eye to another , thatw orks. As Lee Jay said make sure that your image isn't too dark and lacking contrast.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2007 12:17 PM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    I've found that Red Eye correction works the MORE red the eyes are. Many of my eyes arent truly red, they seem to be light grey mirror reflections, and Lr has a lot of trouble with those.

Here's an example of one that I had trouble with (tho to be truthful I'm still nowhere up to speed in Lr as I would be with RSP):
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=409172624&size=o

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2007 12:28 PM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    Funny that LR would have trouble with "light grey mirror reflections". they are not red eye!! LOL

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2007 6:29 AM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    I wasn't ******** about the feature, I was simply giving the OP my insight on why he might be experiencing similar results since he didnt post an example pic.

I do note that other apps seem to cover mirror reflections better, in particular the "Red Eye" tool built into the Costco photo terminals. Rather than spend time trying to fix RE in Lr, I fix them in store, this doesn't help me for my online versions of course and it doesnt give the level of options that Lr does.

Sam

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2007 5:14 PM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    Thanks for the suggestions as I have it working better. I does seem to have the problem if the "red eyes" aren't brilliantly red.

Thanks again.

MikeyM

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2007 12:14 AM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    Don't forget that you can use the clone tool as a back up option

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2007 7:31 AM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    Interesting idea Geoff!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2007 8:15 AM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    Actually be touted around a bit.

Don
    MVC! Don Ricklin, MacBook 1.83Ghz Duo 2 Core, Pentax *ist D
    http://donricklin.blogspot.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2007 11:35 PM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    Yes I won't take the credit for that !!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2007 6:23 AM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    Geoff

In the ADOBE Photoshop Help section it states:

By clicking directly in the center of the pupil you will redeuce the "red" from the eyes. Do not drag the tool across the eye. If you need zoom in a little to cover more visual area of the eye so you can center the cross hairs.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2007 6:24 AM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    Sorry that message was meant for you Dominic.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2007 7:07 AM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    <blockquote><span style="font-size: 90%><i>In the ADOBE Photoshop Help section it states: <br /><br />By clicking directly in the center of the pupil you will redeuce the "red" from the eyes. Do not drag the tool across the eye. If you need zoom in a little to cover more visual area of the eye so you can center the cross hairs.</i></span></blockquote>What's got Photoshop to do here? LR's red eye tool works differently.<br /><br />Alexander.<br><span style="font-size: 75%; color: #408080">-- <br>Canon EOS 400D (aka. XTi) &bull; 20" iMac Intel &bull; 12" PowerBook G4 &bull; OS X 10.4 &bull; LR 1 &bull; PSE 4</span>

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2007 9:53 AM   in reply to (Dominic_Korbuly)
    Adam, the tools work very differently, if you follow the instructions I gave a bove you ought to be able to remove red eye. With the box drawn you can then adjust pupil size and the darkness to achieve the desired result.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2011 4:10 PM   in reply to (DonRicklin)

Good call on temporarily lightening to allow the tool to find the "red"!  . . . worked wonders on an underexposed snap of my 5-yr-old niece on Santa's lap!  . . . Just slid the brightness back down to where I wanted it after red-eye tool usage, and - voila!  Thanks!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)