Skip navigation
reid thaler
Currently Being Moderated

Keywording:  fastest approach

Mar 29, 2007 10:50 PM

I'm finding that keywording 13,000 images is a formidable task. Any recomendations of how to do so efficiently? I wish you could create a list that would appear on the context menu ans select one or more from many..

Keyword stamping, unless I'm not understanding it right, confinds you to just one or one group of keywords.

Also it's awkward to add keyword to the keyword list as then the file strip swithces to that keyword, instead of staying with the collection I was keywording.

Guidance?

Thanks,

Reid

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2007 2:17 AM   in reply to reid thaler
    Phew! That is a task.

Well

1) Set up your base keywords.
    2) Use the Keywords sets to refine that list for even more like minded relationships
    3) Find as many in a group as possible and apply the Keyword - it might be faster to type in the Keyword panel rather than drag and drop.
    4) Keep batching through them in large groups (like a pyramid - largest number first, then keep refining)

5) When you have finally achieved a good proportion, then use the (long winded Find All images with no keywords process so that you can grab the small ones - the process is probably on www.lightroomextra.com)

Other than that - dogged perseverence!!!

Good Luck

Richard Earney

--
    http://inside-lightroom.com

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2007 3:31 AM   in reply to reid thaler
    It takes time but once you've done it finding the photos is so much easier. I did roughly 800 photos in a weekend, i.e. applied keywords, added location, scene (general view, two, group, couple, single, full lenght, half-length, headshot) and subject qualifier (male, female, men, women, mixed) codes in the IPTC part.

Here are most of the keywords I am using currently (in case this helps someone in constructing their own sets). I am not claiming that this is perfect in anyways and the list has not been constructed using any scientific methods.

Activities
    - e.g. different sports as under categories
    Animals
    - e.g. birds, dogs etc. as subcategories
    Architecture
    Bands
    - names of the bands as subcategories
    City
    - some not too well defined subcategories like street, square
    Events
    -e.g. weddings, Christmas, Travel etc. as subcategories
    Indoors
    Outdoors
    People
    - Relatives/Friends/Acquaintances
    - Names of the persons as subsubcategories
    - Strangers
    Landscapes
    Nature
    - e.g. lake, river etc. as subcategories
    Seasons
    - winter, spring, summer and autumn as subcategories
    Things
    - e.g. guitars, cameras, etc.
    Vehicles
    - e.g. cars, motorbikes as subcategories
    - Brands as subsubcategories

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2007 5:49 AM   in reply to reid thaler
    I do my keywording in Bridge (scrollable category list with unlimited sub categories--and categories can be closed or expanded to show sub cats). Then, import the metadata into LR. In general, much faster at this time.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2007 7:18 AM   in reply to reid thaler
    Reid,

That may be true--I haven't checked that and can't now because I am not at my editing machine. However, to me it dosesn't matter. I have 200,000 plus images already keyworded (in IPTC)and all I really care about is the fastest way to get that done.

I did look at the Keywording functions in LR and found the necessity to use dropdown preset fixed limit (9 subcats) categories to be a workflow PIA. Some of my categories in Bridge have 30 + subset cats. Nevermind the time consumed setting up presets, using it would be much slower than in Bridge (at least for the nature of my shooting categories and sub cats and the precision needed for my keywording).

Like many other features of LR at this time, the feature design of keywording is very basic and aimed more at the casual or beginning user--at least ones with rather uncomplicated needs--with relatively small collections--or one that have not already been keyworded.

I do find the keywording box in LR very useful though when I need to add a keyword that I missed putting in in Bridge.

I should add that I am at this point only doing a careful experimentation with LR with 10K images(and comparing it to my present workflow) to see what if any of its features will be worth adding to that workflow, so I have no plans at this time of ingesting my very large collections/archives into it--and I will never undertake to replicate what I have done with keywording elsewhere (Bridge, DAM)in LR presets--I shudder to think of that ordeal :)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2007 7:32 AM   in reply to reid thaler
    Reid,
    For what it's worth, here's how I have been doing it.

If you're not using the color labels already, then label all of your photos RED. Then, as you work through the keywording process, change the label to GREEN once your keywording is complete. That makes it easy to sort them according to status, and also to see visually in a group of images, which ones need to be done. My labels are:
    RED - not processed
    GREEN - keyworded
    PURPLE - keyworded AND processed
    YELLOW - keyworded AND processed AND posted online

As for adding new keywords, I just type them into the keyword box and arrange them via drag and drop in the hierarchy later.

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2007 4:21 AM   in reply to reid thaler
    Paul,

Another great attribute of Bridge CS3 is that you can set the keywords to show with the thumbnails , Along with 3 other user selectable types of info. That frees up the color codes for more important uses, allows you to see what the keywording is at a glance--or saves one from having to set color codes at all.

This is not an issue of LR vs Bridge, but simply that there are a number of operations that will go faster in Bridge than in LR that can be done before importing to LR. And now that Bridge CS3 is out in final form, it is even faster and more convenient, and a very significant improvement over Bridge 1.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2007 9:12 AM   in reply to reid thaler
    Paul,

I like your color idea. I had found no use for colors yet so this fits into the way I work. Of course I tell myself I'm going to keyword etc in order starting at the first one as soon as I get home, but in fact that's not how it happens.

I never thought of noting that something has been posted. There is one color left. I'm thinking of the following:

Red - not processed
    Yellow - possibly delete
    Purple - keyworded
    Blue - keyworded and processed
    Green - keyworded and processed and posted online

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2007 12:11 PM   in reply to reid thaler
    Reid,

As far as I can see in a test I just did, the Bridge CS3 keywording shows up everywhere LR entered keywords do. So, unless I have missed something, it is the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2007 2:48 PM   in reply to reid thaler
    Reid,

It is easy. Make sure you set 'Save settings to
    XMP sidecars" in the Bridge Camera Raw Preferences (Edit menu dropdown..). Then do the keywording.

Next Import to LR. Since the settings are saved in Bridge to sidecars for RAW files, and directly to the headers of DNG, TIF, and JPEG files, LR will read them on import.

If you rework any files in LR from outside in Bridge, or any other app that will write full metadata to file or sidecars, then you will have to import the changes you have made to the metadata from the LR Metadata Dropdown Menu under XMP (import...).

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2007 6:13 PM   in reply to reid thaler
    Here is a free utility.

www.keyworditall.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2010 5:37 PM   in reply to reid thaler

I have been doing all my keywording in Lightroom right from the start, and aside from the tedium, I find it satisfactory.  The keywords show up in Bridge, near as I can tell, although I don't use Bridge a lot.  Unlike some of the folks on the forum, I am pleased with LR3, and am getting into it pretty well with a minimum of hangups.   The thing that annoys me about LR3 is that I cannot use the spray can to remove keywords from pictures.  It will add them ok, and the frames with the keyword of interest are highlighted on the grid view.  With LR2, when you typed one or more keyword next to the spray can, all of them that had that keyword woulb be highlighted, and if you passed spray can over any of those frames it would show a knife icon, and you could remove the keyword with a mouse click.  Also,  cannot go directly to keyworded frames by highlighting a keyword in the keyword list after about 3000 keywords.  In fact, the list won't show them at all after you use too many.   I can, however, edit with the "filter keyword" space at the top of the list.   My master catalog has about 50,000 images, and I suppose I have 4 or 5000 keywords, although I have not counted.  I a past master at doing things the hard way, and have probably come up with a crazy system, but I am getting used to it and it is working for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2010 12:59 AM   in reply to romeobravo

New one to me! What's the spray can please?   Terry

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2010 1:31 AM   in reply to romeobravo

romeobravo wrote:

The thing that annoys me about LR3 is that I cannot use the spray can to remove keywords from pictures.  It will add them ok, and the frames with the keyword of interest are highlighted on the grid view.  With LR2, when you typed one or more keyword next to the spray can, all of them that had that keyword woulb be highlighted, and if you passed spray can over any of those frames it would show a knife icon, and you could remove the keyword with a mouse click.

Press down on Alt/OPtion key will switch from spray can to eraser

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2010 1:33 AM   in reply to romeobravo

romeobravo wrote:

The thing that annoys me about LR3 is that I cannot use the spray can to remove keywords from pictures.  It will add them ok, and the frames with the keyword of interest are highlighted on the grid view.  With LR2, when you typed one or more keyword next to the spray can, all of them that had that keyword woulb be highlighted, and if you passed spray can over any of those frames it would show a knife icon, and you could remove the keyword with a mouse click.

Press down on Alt/Option key will switch from spray can (paint tool) to an eraser

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2010 8:49 AM   in reply to tezlez2

in Library module, grid view,  you will see a spray can icon, with a space after it to enter keywords.  use the mouse to move the spray can over each frame you want a keyword assigned to and right click.  that frame will be highlighted so you can see what you have done.  Hold alt to get a knife icon, and delete keywords from pictures with a mouse click--highlight will be taken off of the picture.  I just now got the post about deleting keywords in response to my post on the same subject.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2010 8:51 AM   in reply to Ian Lyons

Many thanks, Ian.  I should have thought of that.  works fine!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)