Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 2.0 will not export to Photoshop CS3

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2008 Jul 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK,

So I downloaded and installed lightroom 2.0 this morning and things are not working well.

System: Macpro 2.8, 8 gb ram, os x 10.5.4, nikon d300 raw files

The problem...

It started with Lightroom not exporting any images to photoshop. Doesn't matter if I try to send 1 or 20, I get a spinning beach ball, then nothing. if photoshop is closed it will open it, but nothing gets loaded into it. Plain export, merge to panoramic, edit as smart object, nothing does anything.

Tried in both 32 and 64 bit modes, tried re-installing Lightroom 2.0 from scratch. still nothing. I sent a sample raw file into adobe and am waiting to hear back, but figured I'd see what everyone else thinks as well.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 370 Replies 370
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happening with me....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try clearing your preferences as you run the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have tried getting rid of preferences - can open TIF in CS3 but DNG will not open as either smart object or just edit in CS3. CS3 opens but file is not put inside.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For DNGs containing raw images, you may need Camera Raw 4.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have 4.5 installed - just opened a DNG in 4.5

Running XP Pro on 4gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's interesting is CS3 opens ok - once file does not appear I close CS3 and 30secs? later the message

"file could not be edited because CS3 could not be launched"

Weird - it was launched but nothing came in

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried deleting preference files with no luck. Nothing I've tried has gotten a file to open in PS CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jj.pod - Are you on a Mac? can you try setting up Photoshop as the Edit In... app (in preferences) and see if that works? (brute force method might be to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

This was an occasional problem during the beta and the only solution seemed to be to re-install Photoshop CS3.

I for one was hoping the glitch would have been sorted for the release.

Perhaps Photoshop is not sending the expected replies to Lightroom!!!

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was getting the same problem; I tried changing the preferences bit depth to 8 bits on the edit preferences screen in LR, and suddenly it started working. I then switched back to 16 bit, and photoshop CS3 still opened my picture ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Receive error message "the files could not be edited because Adobe photoshop cs3 could not be launched"

Had the same problem in beta, thought it would have been fixed. I Re-installed CS3, have ACR 4.5, no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Lightroom to CS3, the 'Edit a Copy' and 'Edit Original' works. But 'Edit a copy with Lightroom Adjustments' does NOT work, it just opens CS3 with no image loaded.

The funny thing that I noticed is that using 'Edit a Copy' selection opens the original unedited image in CS3, but in Lightroom, it immediately created an edited copy with Lightroom adjustments in Lightroom with the word '-Edit' attached to the new image file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a way around this. In the Lightroom Preference, Under 'External Editing', I forced the 'Additional External Editor' to use CS3.app instead of CS2, and images loaded in CS3 whether choosing 'Edit a Copy with Light room Adjustment', 'Edit a Copy', or 'Edit Original'.

This is just a temporary solution, I hope that Adobe will fix this problem soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2008 Jul 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I tried an uninstall of photoshop and lightroom, reinstalled both, and still no dice, opens photoshop, but nothing gets sent to it.

I am however able to get Lightroom to open an image in Photoshop when I add Photoshop CS3 as the second editor.

Which stinks cause one of the main reasons I was so excited for this program is the ability to create panoramic photos right from the lightroom menu.

Hope they hurry up and fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else tried Betty Reed's trick of changing the bit depth in the preferences? I don't know why that would be a factor, but I'm intrigued by her success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Betty Reed's trick and it did not work for me. The only work around I have found is setting PS3 as the second editor. However that will not allow opening as Smart Object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried the switching of bit depth with no luck.

Just got off the phone with Adobe again and was told "this is an actual bug, with the current solution being to add photoshop as the 2nd editor." At least they are aware of the issue and can start working on a fix...

sweet.

here's looking to the 2.0.1 release!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having similar problems. I can open a file in Photoshop with the edit in Photoshop button, but all other integration such as smart object, photomerge etc. give me the evil and false error that Lightroom couldn't Launch Photoshop.

I had hoped that in the final shipping release they would have fixed this problem, but alas, no such luck.
I tried the un-install Photoshop/reinstall, no help, just lost all my actions in the process. I even tried un-installing the entire suite and re-installing it, but that also made no difference. So I guess we all have to wait for Adobe to fix this since tight Photoshop integration is one of the key selling points for Lightroom 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine for me, no problems at all. Windows XP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with edit in CS3 too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Has anyone else tried Betty Reed's trick of changing the bit depth in the preferences? I don't know why that would be a factor, but I'm intrigued by her success. "

Julie, it worked for me. After temporarily switching to 8 bit, I could then open as 16 bit or as a smart object. Well done Betty!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone who is having this problem drop me a line at kevint (at) adobe.com? I'd like to have you try a couple things to help me diagnose what's going on.

Thanks,

-kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same position the work around does work I have emailed Kevin at Adobe. Funny thing is on my backup rig which is running XP Pro it works fine but not on Vista Ultimate x32.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it works fine on my copy of Vista Ultimate (32 bit). It is remarkably fast too....

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines