Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PE 5.0.2 - Could not load the FastCore Routines module because the file could not be found.

Nov 19, 2008 8:56 AM

The "view and organize photos" mode seems to work just fine, but when I attempt to open the "edit and enhance photos" mode, I get an error box with this message: "Could not load the FastCore Routines module because the file could not be found", and then it shuts down after I click ok. I have installed the 5.0.2 patch and have uninstalled and reinstalled the program, to no avail. I had no firewall running when installing the program, nor do I own the program "Clean Sweep". What can I do?

Thanks for any help

OS = Windows Vista.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 1, 2008 9:30 AM   in reply to (Granpoh)
    >I had no firewall running when installing the program, nor do I own the program "Clean Sweep".

What about antivirus software?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 12:56 AM   in reply to (Granpoh)
    I have the same problem on Windows XP. For some users on the computer it is ok, but for others i do not work at all - anyone have a solution?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2009 8:52 AM   in reply to (Granpoh)
    I have used Photoshop Elements 5 successfully for ages on a computer running Vista. Have just had to reinstall and now *I* receive these messages. As well as 'Cannot load FastCore routines module', I also get 'Cannot load MMXCore Routine module' and 'Cannot load multiprocessor support'. Then it closes down. Same computer as before, but now this problem. Anyone with ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2009 11:01 AM   in reply to (Granpoh)
    When you reinstalled, did you install the 5.0.2 patch for Vista? Also, did you reinall with anti-malware disabled?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2009 12:58 PM   in reply to (Granpoh)
    Yes, I've installed the patch and I installed with anti-malware and anti-spyware and anti-virus all disabled.

The only thing I can think may have affected it is that when I reinstalled Vista itself, I then used a backup image (created through Vista) to restore all my previous files and in researching this problem on the Net, there does seem to be some issues with restoring this way. Kind of late to change that now, however. (And, of course, I needed those files.)

I've since gone back, uninstalled Elements, edited everything out of the registry I could possibly find that alluded to it and tried to provide as clean an install as I could, but still no luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2009 5:36 PM   in reply to (Granpoh)
    Searching Google finds two other possible solutions. This one suggests running the program as administrator (which on Vista is different than running in an administrator account):

http://www.flickr.com/groups/pse/discuss/72157607346101935/

This one says that Adobe had him do a manual removal with tweezers:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web_Development/Software/Adobe_Creativ e_Suite/Q_24053850.html

PSE uninstallers do leave lots of crud laying around. Heres a Adobe knowledgebase article that explains how to remove it manually:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=333201

To help others here, please let us know whether this addresses your problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2009 6:43 AM   in reply to (Granpoh)
    I had actually been on Experts' Exchange myself, as am also a member, and had unearthed a completely different thread dating back to 1999 and Win98SE (so obviously an endemic problem and not restricted to Vista) but I missed the thread you mentioned. I followed those instructions of deleting the Adobe Elements folder under Application Data and, hey, presto, that fixed it.

Thanks for the help!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2009 6:58 AM   in reply to (Granpoh)
    That's great.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2009 3:47 PM   in reply to (Granpoh)
    I installed a new Disk on my computer and moved all the Elements files to the new disk which is labeled as I:. Had the same "can't find Fastcore routines" problem so I copied the Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements files to the C: drive and everything worked as normal. There must be something in Elements that is hard set to look for extensions on the C: drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2009 6:01 AM   in reply to (Granpoh)
    I found that if you link your plugins folder from CS3 you get the same error message.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2009 4:47 PM   in reply to (Richard_A_Manning)

No, it’s really the folder in Application Data. And it’s not hard-set to C, it’s hard-set to whatever paths you used in your previous installation. Thus if one reinstalls Windows after an HDD upgrade that brought about some relevant path changes, all PSE’s Application Data break. Unfortunately, the files don’t seem to be simply editable, so you’re likely to say goodbye to all your old preferences, presets etc., or so I expect. What a shame anyway.

No uninstall/reinstall necessary, just delete anything in the folder “Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements”.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2009 8:20 PM   in reply to Marcvs Avrelivs

I have the exact same problem, only my PE is version 4.0.What on earth do I do?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2009 3:48 AM   in reply to TheGrier

Hi, I also have 4.0. The solution I have described works (apparently)

for all versions so affected.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2009 10:30 AM   in reply to Marcvs Avrelivs

I can't find "Application data". Where could it be?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 8:14 PM   in reply to TheGrier

Thanks to all the posts - I had almost given up trying to install Photoshop Elements 5 on my 64-bit machine. I deleted the folder as described above, and was able to open and use Editor - Yeah!!  In Vista, I found the application folder at: C:\Users\(your name)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\5.  Just delete the entire 5 folder.

I still have an issue with the Organizer though. When I try to click on the Organizer icon from the Editor window, I get a solid, bright neon green blank screen covering my entire monitor. The app freezes and I can't even navigate out. A Windows message does appear in a bubble near the systray and says "The color scheme has been changed to Windows Vista Basic. A running program isn't compatible with certain visual elements of Windows." Does anyone know how to resolve this lovely?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2010 10:50 PM   in reply to (Granpoh)

CANNOT LOAD FASTCORE ROUTINES, MMX CORE ROUTINES,

MULTIPROCESSOR SUPPORT NOT FOUND

SUCCESSFULLY REPAIRED - STEP BY STEP

I made the repair for Elements 5 on an XP version Operating System PC by doing this:

I went to....

Start / All Programs / Accessories / Windows Explorer

and selected.....

My Computer / C:

which is my drive with its operating system where Photoshop is installed.

I then clicked....

Documents and Settings  

Then - in each - of the three icons I found.....

All Users, Default User, and Owner

I went into....

Application Data / Adobe / Photoshop Elements

In that last file I removed ALL the contents.... IN EACH !

After rebooting, my Photoshop Elements 5 started to work.

I think with research and all I invested five hours. May this save you 4 1/2.

I was paranoid and put the contents of each file into a new file I identified

clearly in case it I have to replace one of the parts out in the future.

I hope this is of help to some future reader.

Other comments here seem to indicate that this solution has

worked in version 4 and up and fixed early versions of Vista.

This appears to be a common problem after a drive repair or partitioning.

Why they can't just tell us this is a mystery to me.

-- Bon Courage! --

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 6:21 PM   in reply to KenInDallas

Sounds like this is a fixable problem.  How can I repair on a Windows 7 computer?  I am not sure where to find the files to delete.   Thanks for any help.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2014 3:26 PM   in reply to KenInDallas

This seems to be exactly the info I need however, am running the new Win 8.1 (*!%$#).  I installed my trusty old Elements 5 and used it the first time.  Now I get those same 4 error messages and I can't seem to follow the path.  There is no Documents and Settings under C drive and no Application Data under either user name.

This is obviously a common problem. Has anyone solved it in Win 8?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)