Skip navigation
helmigr
Currently Being Moderated

PSE 7 Organizer - "File Too Large" = no thumbs

Feb 12, 2009 10:30 AM

On my PSE 6 I would get this File Size Too Large message on my thumbnails in Organizer instead of an image. I went to PSE 7 thinking something might change but I'm still getting the same results. I shoot mostly in RAW and convert to JPEG in one of the last steps, but even some of the JPEG files produce the same results. Is there a size limit in Organizer? It would seem that many of us would be shooting in RAW format and would have them in the Organizer, so are others of you having this problem? Is there a way around it? I'm really tired of having to review my files in Canon's Digital Image Pro and then switching to PSE 7 to load the file I want into Editor.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2009 10:54 AM   in reply to helmigr
    I think PSE 7 has the same limits that PSE 6 has:

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402760

Are your raw photos really exceeding those limits? What are their pixel dimensions and how much memory do you have installed? This article also explains how to override the limits.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2009 12:48 PM   in reply to helmigr
    The 30K x 30K limit is for the Editor, not the Organizer. The table in the article shows the limits based on the amount of memory you have installed, e.g. if you have 1 GB of memory the limit is 36 MP.

For one of the offending JPEGs, what does the Organizer show as the pixel dimensions in the Properties pane? How much memory do you have installed?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2009 11:24 PM   in reply to helmigr
    (Argh, my first response to this was also lost my the user-id linking -- annoying.)

A 7200 x 10800 photo has 74 megapixels, not 27.8, which is more than the limit of 56 megapixels.

(7200 x 10800 = 77,760,000 pixels. 77,760,000 / (1024 * 1024) = 74 megapixels.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2009 3:43 PM   in reply to helmigr

I received this message after creating a Panoramic.  I can view the Panaromic in the Editor but not in the Organizer.  Just hope my local photo print company can print the Panoramic.

With larger RAM now common, one might think Adobe would set the viewing size based on the computers RAM.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2009 5:08 PM   in reply to NicholsIA

See this tech note for increasing the limit:

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402760

It applies to PSE 7 too.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2009 7:38 AM   in reply to John R. Ellis

Thank you VERY MUCH.

Regards,

Thomas M Nichols, CFA, CLU

Nichols Investment Advisors

111 Pine Street, Suite 1800

San Francisco, CA 94111-5620

(415) 781-0340

(415) 307-5662 Cell

(866) 234-0075 Fax

California Insurance Lic 0B01127

Registered Representative FSC Securities Corporation

Securities offered through FSC SECURITIES CORPORATION

A registered broker dealer. Member FINRA/SIPC

Advisor services offered through Nichols Investment Advisors

a registered investment advisor not affiliated with FSC Securities Corporation

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2009 3:47 PM   in reply to John R. Ellis

Hi John.

I have just started having this problem.  When I crop an .nef file and try to save as a jpg, I get the File too large error back in organizer after closing the editor.  I noticed that "someone or something" doubled the dimensions of the file??  I've cropped quite a few files the same way and they still come out 4288x2848 but this one was double.  I have 8 gigs of memory and a terrabyte drive, so I don't think space is a problem.  The .nef file is 13mb and the new .jpg is 9.5mb.  I've done a catalog repair  - it said no repair was needed.  Is there some setting I've gotten changed to make the program keep the mb size but change the dimensions?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2009 6:11 PM   in reply to tipkin

For the troublesome cropped file, what are the pixel dimensions shown by the Organizer (do Windows > Properties, look at the Size: line)?

If you open the cropped file in the Editor, what are the pixel dimensions it shows?

capture.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2009 11:50 AM   in reply to helmigr

FYI - there is a registry change that can be made to allow

more memory to be allocated to the Organizer (apparently the size of the

file that can be viewed is limited by the memory availble to the Organizer).

The instructions used to be at

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402760  however the link is "Unavailable". 

Maybe someone is has an update.  With OS 64 and more memory available, maybe the algorithm used to set up available memory in the registry should be modified?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2009 12:45 PM   in reply to NicholsIA

Here is the tech note on maximum sizes:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/402/kb402760.html

The first step is to find the pixel sizes of the images as described in my previous post.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2009 8:24 AM   in reply to NicholsIA

Hi.  Thanks for your help.  I did look up the pixel dimensions and they were

the same.  I believe the reason my pic was so large was that I had

inadvertently gotten 720dpi in my crop dimensions.  When I set it back to

360dpi, everything worked as expected.  I'll look into the registry issue as

well.

megellens

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2009 8:28 AM   in reply to John R. Ellis

My dimensions were something like 9288x4xxx (I've since deleted the photo), so it doesn't exceed the limits of editor or organizer.  I had inadvertently set the dpi at 720 for an 11x14 crop, so maybe it was that.  When I reset it to 360dpi, I didn't get the file too large error.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2009 8:50 AM   in reply to tipkin
    I had inadvertently set the dpi at 720 for an 11x14 crop, so maybe it was that.  When I reset it to 360dpi, I didn't get the file too large error.

Hmm, when I try that using the crop tool in the Editor, the pixel dimensions remain the same, just the ppi is changing.

However, if you were really created an 11x14" image at 720 ppi (e.g. using the Resize command), then that would have 11 x 720 x 14 x 720 = 79,833,600 = 76.1 megapixels, which does exceed the limit.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2009 10:56 AM   in reply to John R. Ellis

Thanks John.  That is exactly what I did.  I didn't notice the 720dpi until

I'd tried several different pictures.  It's really fascinating the detail in

this program - and your excellent knowledge!

Margaret

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)