Skip navigation
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 13, 2008 8:44 AM   in reply to (renee_squires)
    And #78 was helpful or useful in what way???!

What sometimes works with files that won't open is to open them in Illustrator or in Graphic Converter but if they are generating "end of file" messages, you are probably out of luck.

You could try running DiskWarrior to repair the Directories on your HDs which may prevent this from happening again but probably won't help to reclaim the already-damaged files.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2008 9:13 AM   in reply to (renee_squires)
    In response to #79, my response was only helpful for one person,
    the user Mignot that is being belittled by pretentious posters who respond poorly or unprofessionally. Why do you badger people coming here seeking good advice as if you own the forum?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2008 10:03 AM   in reply to (renee_squires)
    And why do YOU, Kenneth Hackenberg of Arizona (AKA Xzone9), badger people coming here who freely give their precious time to proffer their help and advice and to share their experience when you have never done any of that.

Or was the real object of your posting purely to gain exposure and "click-throughs" for, and to drive traffic to, your own commercial website?

I think the answer is rather obvious.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2008 10:08 AM   in reply to (renee_squires)
    xZone9

I will give you some friendly advice, don't respond to this kind of stuff. Just post the advice or issues and filter the responses.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2008 10:29 AM   in reply to (renee_squires)
    Come on, guys...Instead of bickering with each other -- yet again -- can we please wait for Mignot to come back with additional information that further explains his problem?

Thanks!

Neil

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 13, 2008 6:13 PM   in reply to (renee_squires)
    xZone9's claims are absurd. We don't even know whether Mignot's problem is simply a raw file from a camera not supported by his version of ACR.

The purpose of the forum is for everybody to benefit from all questions and answers, not just the original poster. That's why there are separate Windows and Macintosh forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2008 10:31 PM   in reply to (renee_squires)
    >We don't even know whether Mignot's problem is simply a raw file from a camera not supported by his version of ACR.

Yep.
    >The purpose of the forum is for everybody to benefit from all questions and answers, not just the original poster. That's why there are separate Windows and Macintosh forums.

Again, yep.

And I recommend that unless/until Mignot posts back, we all take a break from this topic.

Thanks!

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2008 10:32 PM   in reply to (renee_squires)
    >We don't even know whether Mignot's problem is simply a raw file from a camera not supported by his version of ACR.

Yep.
    >The purpose of the forum is for everybody to benefit from all questions and answers, not just the original poster. That's why there are separate Windows and Macintosh forums.

Again, yep.

And I recommend that unless/until Mignot posts back, we all take a break from Mignot's problem.

Thanks!

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2008 1:27 PM   in reply to (renee_squires)
    I have the same problem, and just received this very error today on a Photoshop file I opened and worked on earlier in the day. I'm using CS2 on a Dual 2 GHz PPC G5. No Norton AntiVirus (Norton has never been installed on my computer; I do use VirusBarrier X5 though). I work off a Dell PowerEdge 1800 server on a network, and have attempted to open the file off my desktop having copied it over with no success. And, this is not the first time this has happened. With previous files, ImageReady was able to open them up and I was able to resave them, but not with this file. All that opens up is a cyan box that fills 3/4 of the image size with a white background. All my layers are still there, although there is nothing visable with them on or off. No way of getting rid of the big blue box, either. Like I said, the layers are all there including the original layer names, but even on text layers when I double click them to highlight the text, the text is not there, and it defaults to Helvetica instead of the correct font, OptimusPrinceps. It's just odd that I was able to open and work on it this morning, but not this afternoon. Thanks in advance for any help.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 16, 2008 1:43 PM   in reply to (renee_squires)
    > I work off a Dell PowerEdge 1800 server on a network

That's a known cause of permanent file damage. :/

This is the boilerplate text I use in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else's network remotely, and that's why it's not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322391.html

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won't work. It should.

Adobe's position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it's probably the network's fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can't work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you're on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2010 11:52 AM   in reply to (renee_squires)

Use the open source program "Gimp" to open and re-save your PSD file. It worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2010 11:53 AM   in reply to (renee_squires)

Use the open source program "Gimp" to open and re-save your PSD file. It worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)