Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

++ Type, brush, crop, lasso etc tools broken on Leopard ++

Nov 15, 2007 8:58 PM

Apple released OS 10.5.2, which resolves the known issue that numeric values to set sizes for the brush, crop, marquee, lasso, type, and other Photoshop CS3 tools, revert to previously entered values when you try to apply them.

Go to Apple's knowledgebase doc.

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Nov 15, 2007 10:05 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Just so this is clear to those who might not recognize the name, Kirsten is Adobe staff and is making an announcement, not asking for help. :)

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 17, 2007 5:16 AM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    For entering values for feather, etc. click on the box and then use the scroll wheel (assuming you have one) to change the value. Clicking elsewhere will set the number.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2007 10:42 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Ramon, you linked this thread (announcement) to another thread talking about a problem with numerical values when doing a transform. Well enough, it seems to be the same kind of problem but it is not in the list of affected tools provided by Kirsten.

Document
    tells us that Photoshop CS3 is compatible with Leopard in a very Apple-Adobe friendly manner. The Notes column in that document should state this kind of issues.
    It should be updated to reflect this.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Nov 21, 2007 7:34 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    We're all users just like you, Gregoire. Kirsten is an exception, and I have no idea if she will be back or not. Adobe does not officially monitor these forums. When Adobe stand drops by, they do so as volunteers, on their own time.

That's why I just link to this post as needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2007 2:22 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    A universal workaround for the value field bug is to click your cursor in the field and then just use the up and down arrow keys.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2007 2:59 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Or go back to 10.4.11 where it's safe.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2007 11:19 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Well, the purpose of a thread like this one I guess is to list problems and bugs described in the topic or around so we can get better. Going back to a previous OS is not gonna help in that matter. Now of course if one is in a production environment, one should not have upgraded in the first place to a new "unknown" system. I have been testing Photoshop CS3 and Leopard on a test machine, in a production environment, keeping the Tiger setup ready to take over in case of big problems, and so far these are the only bugs I went through; I don't use 1/3 party plug-ins. I have to say that I am quite impressed by this compatibility. I have the impression Leopard does a better job at using the remaining RAM available over the 3GB limit of 32 bits Photoshop CS3, and that's good news for me who works on big files, but that is another subject.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2007 7:03 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    The problem I'm having with Photoshop CS3 and Leopard is that pretty much any text field in the Options bar will "break" after using Photoshop for a while. Values typed in the fields will no longer have any effect. I notice it the most with the type tool. Fortunately in that case I can work around the problem by using the character palette instead. Unfortunately there are other cases--doing a transform for example--where there is no real workaround (aside from using the mouse to scale, etc.) In those cases I have to quit Photoshop and open it again. Then it'll be back to normal for a while, but it's inevitable that it will break again at some point. I haven't noticed anything in particular that triggers the problem.

I assume this is the same issue being discussed here. (Strange that the Options bar wasn't mentioned as that seems to be where the problem is. I haven't had problems entering values anywhere else.)

It's pretty poor that Adobe didn't mention this issue in their Leopard compatibility FAQ. I don't know how they could have missed it in testing. But I'm glad to hear they (and Apple) are aware of the problem and working on a fix. Hopefully it won't take too long for 10.5.2 to get here!

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Nov 27, 2007 8:28 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Mike,

Adobe DID NOT have a final working copy of Leopard before CS3 shipped. Incompatibilities are just beginning to surface.

As you can read here, many of us don't jump into a new version of the OS until there's at least a dot-four (.4) update or so. We just sit back and wait for brave souls like you to test the waters.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2007 12:36 AM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Mike - Adobe DID acknowledge this problem here in one of the threads. It IS known and they are working on it and they have said as much.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Nov 28, 2007 1:47 AM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    This thread itself was initiated by Adobe staff.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2007 4:04 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    I know they are acknowledging it and working on a fix with Apple, I said that myself in my previous post.

Adobe's Leopard compatibility FAQ http://www.adobe.com/support/products/pdfs/leopardsupport.pdf was published when the final version of Leopard was released. It was presumably intended to help users decide when to upgrade. It does not list any issues with Photoshop CS3 and Leopard. If they hadn't finished testing they should have waited to publish compatibility information. At the very least the FAQ should have been updated when they became aware of the issue. Leopard shipped over a month ago and this problem still isn't mentioned.

I installed Leopard after reading that there were no issues, and I was a bit disappointed to find that was not the case. I ran into this problem immediately. I don't mind dealing with some minor issues though, and I'm still able to get my work done. Overall I'd say CS3 is running better on Leopard for me... I don't get random beachballing all the time like I did in Tiger. (That was really frustrating, much worse than this bug. Especially since I just bought a new 2.8GHz machine with 4GB RAM!) Leopard also has a ton of other improvements that have made my work easier, and even fixed a lot of bugs. I'd rather have some new bugs to complain about than deal with the same ones that have been there for months or even years!

Cheers.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Nov 29, 2007 12:09 AM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    >If they hadn't finished testing they should have waited to publish compatibility information.

No one could dispute that.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2007 10:05 AM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Will we see a fix soon, the public announcement by Kristin was nearly a month ago and this is extremely painful trying to work with this problem.

mark

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Dec 10, 2007 10:29 AM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    You're probably going to have to wait until sometime next year for Apple to come up with fixes and for Adobe to release an update. If you can, revert to Tiger in the meantime. Somehow I suspect Adobe will wait to have Apple's patch first.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2007 10:42 AM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    >You're probably going to have to wait until sometime next year for Apple to come up with fixes and for Adobe to release an update. If you can, revert to Tiger in the meantime. Somehow I suspect Adobe will wait to have Apple's patch first.

Of course we do not know for sure that it is an Apple problem, Adobe is the one making this claim which is not unusual in the software world for one company to point the finger at the other company. As far as I am concerned this is an Adobe product problem. And no I do not want to go back to Tiger, that is too much of a pain, I have too much work going on to lose all that kind of time to make the switch back. Plus I really want and have the need to use Time Machine.

Adobe's update for their flagship product has just totally sucked, PS and Bridge CS3.

mark

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Dec 10, 2007 10:48 AM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    >too much work going on to lose all that kind of time to make the switch back.

An Archive and Install of Tiger over Leopard will take you less than 45 minutes.

Whether Adobe is making up the Apple problem or not, they're clearly signaling that their patch will come after Apple's next update. :/

I fully agree with you as to the implementation of CS3.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2007 10:55 AM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    I am more prone to go back to CS2 and Bridge2 then to take 45 min (for me it would probably take an hour and 45 min) to revert back to Tiger plus I lose the benefits of Time Machine.

I don't understand why Adobe feels that they have to rush this stuff to market, it's not like they have to beat any coemption any more. Just get it fully tested before you ship it.
    mark

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Dec 10, 2007 11:03 AM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    The bean counters obviously want a new version every 18 months and that's that. At one point it will be up to us customers to stop buying. As far as I'm concerned, we have reached that point.

Same goes for Apple. If CS3 ran in Panther, I'd still be on 10.3.9. I've permanently and totally disabled Spotblight and Dashboard, so I don't care about any of the "features" introduced by Tiger, much less Leopard. Super Duper has been doing what Time Machine accomplishes for a long time for me. I'm not buying Leopard, nor CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2007 2:18 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    >Of course we do not know for sure that it is an Apple problem

Its a Leopard problem as it is not evident in Tiger. Who made Leopard? Hmmm... was it Apple? Then it must be an Apple problem.

>I am more prone to go back to CS2 and Bridge2 then to take 45 min (for me it would probably take an hour and 45 min) to revert back to Tiger plus I lose the benefits of Time Machine.

CS2 has its issues with Leopard also where none exist with Tiger. So If these glitches are affecting your workflow reverting to Tiger would be what I would do.

I'm not putting Leopard on my production box until all the patches and fixes are released next year.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2007 6:42 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    >As far as I am concerned this is an Adobe product problem.

Uh huh. . .well hat part of "The fix will be provided through an update to Mac OS X Leopard." don't you understand? Unless you are accusing Adobe of lying (and by extension Kirsten who I know enough to know she would not lie).

Piss&Moan all ya want bud, but until Apple fixes the issue (as Kirsten has indicated they are working on) you're just gonna have to sit around like a grumpy old man...or, use the work arounds, or, go back to Tiger...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2007 6:56 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Hey Jeff:

Yeah, I am gonna gripe and morn and complain as much as I want. I have a right to do so I paid for this freaking piece of junk that is nothing but a major pain right now. Whether it is Apple's problem or Adobe's I really do not care, all I know is that Adobe released this junk along w/all the problems of Bridge3.

mark

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2007 1:44 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Mark Do you have a time machine? as none of us has had a chance to use Bridge 3 yet.

Also nobody forced you to install Leopard, I really doubt there was an Apple employee holding a gun to your head.

You are a Beta tester for Apple and your pissed at Adobe that makes no sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2007 2:38 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Buko:

where did you get the idea that I am a beta tester for adobe?

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Dec 11, 2007 5:57 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Buko said said you're a beta tester for Apple (not Adobe), as are all people using Leopard:
    >You are a Beta tester for Apple and your pissed at Adobe that makes no sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2007 7:51 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    >where did you get the idea that I am a beta tester for adobe?

Quoted from Post #24:

>Also nobody forced you to install Leopard, I really doubt there was an Apple employee holding a gun to your head.

>You are a Beta tester for Apple and your pissed at Adobe that makes no sense.

that should read "you're pissed at Adobe"

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2007 7:54 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Don't feel bad I gave Apple $130 too, but I was smart enough not to install it on my production machine right away.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2007 2:06 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    > I have a right to do so I paid for this freaking piece of junk that is nothing but a major pain right now.

Yep, well, that's Leopard for ya...released before full compatibility was engineered (the final GM version went out to developers like Adobe -ONE WEEK- before it hit the retail stores).

Aside from Adobe, a variety of other developers are also having problems-particularly print drivers and anything that uses Time Machine.

Oh, maybe you were referring to Photoshop? Again, since it's an Apple problem, I'm not sure what you are gonna to constructive harping on Adobe...I hope you are posting as much (if not more) on the Apple forums? Course, there you run the risk of having your post wiped...not something that happens in these fora.

But if Pissin&Moanin makes you feel better, I hope you feel better. Do ya? Course, it ain't gonna get fixed till Apple fixes it, but if ya feel better, then whoopie for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2007 2:14 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Not really, Jeff. As we all know, it's more important to look good than to feel good (Billy Crystal cum the immortal Ricardo Whateverhisnameis).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2007 2:25 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Jeff:

What about all the Bridge problems in CS3, they existed long before Leopard and still exist after the release of Leopard? That is an Adobe problem not an OS. That has got to be the worst piece of software that Adobe ever put on the streets.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2007 3:49 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    >What about all the Bridge problems in CS3

We were talking about specific issues relating to text entry fields being broken in Photoshop CS3 because of Leopard...pay attention. That's what has been talked about being an Apple problem to fix.

You wanna Piss&Moan about Bridge, there's a whole forum dedicated to that (and some of the Bridge engineers & Q&E will sometimes visit). Complaining about Bridge CS3 in this thread is a waste of bandwidth...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2007 11:17 AM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Is there a workaround for entering an aspect ratio with the rectangular marquee tool? This is really frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2007 2:37 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    please.

You have no concept what frustration is...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2007 11:49 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    I am soooo glad to find this topic. I thought that I was going crazy - I lost all ability to crop images. What can be more basic than that?

All of my numbers have a mind of their own - and make up their own values as I type them in.

I look forward to the fix ....

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2007 5:34 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    My goodness. Is. this. not. a. PRIORITY?! Gaaa!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2007 7:14 AM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    what makes you think its not?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2007 9:35 AM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    >Buko - 7:14am Dec 28, 07 PST (#37 of 37)
    >what makes you think its not?

Well, maybe that it has been more than a month now ??

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2007 11:44 AM   in reply to Kirsten Harris
    Since Apple screwed everything up by making Leopard incompatible with existing software that works just fine in their previous OS, Adobe must wait for that 10.5.2 OS update before they can do anything.

If these problems make CS3 apps unusable I suggest you move back to to Tiger until they are released. If they are minor annoyances be patient they will be out next month maybe?

If you think things are moving too slow you should call Apple and ask them what's taking so long.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)