Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't save file - already in use/left open message

Nov 11, 2008 10:52 AM

After opening an existing file and modifying it, when I try to Save, I get the message "Could not save "filename.psd" because the file is already in use or was left open". Doesn't happen every time, but fairly frequently. Same result if I try Save As with same filename.

I am opening the file, and trying to save to, an external USB hard drive with FAT32 format.

Anything I can do besides save the file to my MBP internal hard drive and then copying the file to the external HD?

MacBookPro, OSX 10.4.1, PS CS3

Thanks,

- Greg

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2008 12:46 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    First thing I would do is format the drive to a Fully Mac compatible format HFS+ and you will have less problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2008 2:13 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    No

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2008 2:31 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    Greg,

As Buko says.
    >I am opening the file, and trying to save to, an external USB hard drive with FAT32 format.

FAT32 is the cross-platform-compatible format. But it is optimized neither for Mac nor Win performance. And there is a maximum file size limitation (2 GB?). And you're right about NTSF -- but if/when you wish, you should be able to reformat them as HFS+ (with Journaling) using Disk Utility for best Mac performance. And (yes, another "and"), these should be FireWire 400 or 800 drives. Regardless of the "specs" you read, USB2 is slower than FireWire, and generally cannot be configured as an external startup drive.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2008 3:07 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    Max 4GB per file, Neil :)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2008 4:32 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    Scott,<br /><br />What's 2GB between friends?  <g><br /><br />Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2008 4:40 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    Greg,

One caution about reformatting...do not select either of the "Case-sensitive" settings.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2008 12:45 AM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    I had this happen too. I found that it only happened when I had selected the edit link from InDesign. For some reason Photoshop recognizes the InDesign link and won't save as because it thinks it is open. If I go back to InDesign and deselect the active object it will then save in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2008 3:01 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    Greg, in case one day you need to go over the 4gigs limit of FAT32: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070220150856279

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2009 1:43 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    Hello . . . I'm getting the message "can't save file because it is already in use or was left open". All the files were created in photoshop and I'm using Quark only for this project.
    The files have never been opened in In-Design, so your reference above is not helpful to my situation. Whether I use edit original in Quark or open the file in ps and try to save it won't let me. What I'm doing is, save-as under a new file name and re-import the new file.
    This has never happened before in 10 years of pshop and is very annoying.
    Please advise. Rich

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2009 3:48 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    >Hello . . . I'm getting the message "can't save file because it is already in use or was left open". All the files were created in photoshop and I'm using Quark only for this project.

Richard,

Quit QuarkXPress and see if you can save.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2009 3:50 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    >I'm getting the message "can't save file because it is already in use or was left open". All the files were created in photoshop and I'm using Quark only for this project.

Richard,

Quit QuarkXPress and see if you can save. I'll bet that XPress is laying claim to the file.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2009 12:58 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    Hi Richard, did you ever learn more about this?

I am having same problem, I have been using Phsp. for 20 years
    and never once had this "cannot save file, left open or in use"
    until CS4.

It has nothing to do with links to Quark, InDesign, or etc.

You can quit out of all those other programs and still the
    same problem.

Not only that it does not occur for me at least in the case of
    every single PSD file I work on, only "some". (?)

To say it is annoying is putting it mildly.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2009 1:36 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    Dean - then the big question is: what changed on your system outside of Photoshop? What other application or OS service is holding those files open when they should not be?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2009 3:02 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    Can't save file - already in use/left open message

Thinking about it now, probably . . . Preview.
    Because, sometimes when I open a photoshop file it opens in Preview instead of ps,
    Then I have to open the file through the program, instead of directly form the icon.
    Maybe this is a clue somehow . . . I've tried Preview preferences to deactivate this awol feature with no luck.
    Maybe I will de-install Preview don't really need it and see what happens.
    rbohn

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2009 5:47 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    richard,
    >Because, sometimes when I open a photoshop file it opens in Preview instead of ps,

Find the file type that Preview is opening. Then find a file of that type; highlight its icon, press Command-I (Get Info) and look for "Open with:". Select the Preview, Photoshop, iPhoto, CorelDraw, or whichever compatible application you'd like that file or file type to open with. Note it says: "Use this application to open all documents like this." And you can select "Change All..." if you want to change all existing files you have with that extension.

For example, on my system I've made Preview the default application for all .jpg files. Photoshop opens the rest.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2009 5:48 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    richard,
    >Because, sometimes when I open a photoshop file it opens in Preview instead of ps,

Figure out the file type(s) that Preview is opening. Then find a file of that type; highlight its icon, press Command-I (Get Info) and look for "Open with:". Then from the dropdown, select Preview, Photoshop, iPhoto, CorelDraw, or whichever compatible application you'd like that file or file type to open with. Note it says: "Use this application to open all documents like this." And you can select "Change All..." if you want to change all existing files you have with that extension.

For example, on my system I've made Preview the default application for all .jpg files. Photoshop opens the rest. If I decide I want a particular .jpg to open in Photoshop, I touch it to the Photoshop icon in my Dock.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2009 4:36 AM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)
    Greg

I am having exactly the same problem (and have had since upgrading to CS4). I am trying to convert fles from RGB to CMYK by selecting 'Edit original' in the links palette in InDesign CS4 (6.0.1) to open each one in turn in Photoshop (11.0.1) and most of them cannot be saved unless I change the file name, which makes a bit of a nonsense of the 'round-trip editing' feature as I then have to re-link to the new file name in INDD, then go to the finder, locate and 'move to trash' the file I was trying to convert in the first place. It does make it pretty long-winded.

Has anyone at Adobe come up with a solution yet?

I do not have Preview open or any other application looking at these files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2010 12:05 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)

I've also been having this problem over the past year - but even after searching through different forums and post I haven't been able to find a way of stopping it happening. I've only seen it happening in the setting "view > display performance > high quality display". My preferred workaround is to delete the picture or picture frame in InDesign, save the modified file in Photoshop, go back to Indesign and "Undo" - much quicker than saving the photoshop/tiff file with a new name then deleting the original and also linking to the new file in InDesign. This isn't ideal but seems to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2010 7:25 PM   in reply to mwncibrown

Yeah, you need to tell the InDesign team about that so they know customers are seeing the problem, and they can get around to fixing it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 7:51 AM   in reply to Neil_Keller

The message "can't save the file..." started happening to me in ID CS4 and now it happens all the time in Q7.

The problem first began when I option-clicked on an image in ID CS4 to open it in PS CS4, but it didn't happen every time I did it. In either case, I stopped doing the option-click and I would open the image from within PS and it would save OK. However, now the problem is worse...

Currently, In Q7 with this particular document I'm working in, I can't even have the Quark file open If I want to edit any image from it in PS. I've tried opening files from within PS instead of double-clicking "edit original" in Quark but I still get "can't save the file.." I've tried deleting the file(s), and then going back to PS, but that doesn't work either. The only way I can edit those images and save them is to quit Quark. In essence, I've lost the ability to multitask with PS and page layout apps...now that's a real step backwards.

What is peculiar about this is, that this is a recent occurence that has gotten progressively worse. I've been using Q7 and PS/ID CS4 for at least six months. Why would this issue just appear now? Any fixes or workarounds to this would be greatly appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 8:54 AM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)

An easier workaround in InDesign is to hide the layer you've put the image on - using the eye icon on the layer palette. I've contacted Adobe Customer Care about the problem but I don't think they understood what was happening - they advised me to "please uninstall and reinstall both Photoshop and InDesign" . . . but I'd rather workaround it than chance further problems.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 11:44 AM   in reply to mwncibrown

Report it in the InDesign forums, or via the bug report form.

Technical Support front line folks won't know what you're talking about, and will try to go through basic troubleshooting steps first.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 12:32 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

My apologies for any confusion in my description, but I don't think 

it's an InDesign issue, as the problem occurs while in PS:

If you read the posts here, including mine, the problem occurs when 

you save a file in Photoshop that has a link to documents in other 

applications.

i.e., if PS gives you a "can't save the file because it is already 

open or in use..." message, regardless of what app the image is linked 

to, wouldn't PS be the logical source of the problem?

Also,  don't understand why Adobe TS folks wouldn't understand. I see 

technical questions and issues posted here all the time.  However, per 

your suggestion and to try to resolve this, I'll use the bug report 

form from the Adobe support site as well.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 2:09 PM   in reply to JFLMark

I don't think it's an InDesign issue, as the problem occurs while in PS:

No, Photoshop TELLS you about the problem, which is caused by some application OUTSIDE of Photoshop.

This is caused because the OTHER application is keeping the file open when it should not be, and the OTHER application is preventing Photoshop from saving to the file.

Please file this as a bug with InDesign, and tell them about it in the InDesign forums.

They really need to hear from customers that this is a real-world problem.

i.e., if PS gives you a "can't save the file because it is already open or in use..." message, regardless of what app the image is linked  to, wouldn't PS be the logical source of the problem?

No, it is the application telling about the problem, not the cause.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2010 12:45 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)

Indesign keeps the file's open in my case.

Yes, I've ckecked:

Check.jpg

Chris you're telling everyone its not a psd problem, and to go somewere else (to Indesign forum for example).

Thats not good costumer-care, Chris.

I don't differentiate between the Adobe programs, since I buy a packet  called CS, CS2, CS3,CS4 and CS5

I pay good money (for about 20 years now), so instead of telling me/us to go somewere else, get the problem high priority internally at Adobe.

The problem comes and goes for a long time now, and for me its always between INDD and PSD.

I open the link from within INDD, size ist and whem I want to save it......

Tonight it doing it again, while I'm working a deadline for UNICEF.

I can just HOPE it goes away soon, since nobody seems to know how to solve this bugger...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2010 12:57 PM   in reply to BoekMarc

Chris is not trying to pass you off to someone else so that he does not need to deal with you. He's pointing you to a better source to resolve the problem. It is your option if you don't want to take advantage of his advice.

If you are really set on thinking Photoshop is the sole problem here, you might try searching this forum for related topics for this error message. There are other processes from OS X that may have their hooks in the file. There are tools that can determine which processes are accessing a file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2010 2:23 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Please read carefully before posting:

Chris is not trying to pass you off to someone else so that he does not need to deal with you. He's pointing you to a better source to resolve the problem. It is your option if you don't want to take advantage of his advice.

I never said he's passing me off, I just explained my view on costumer-care and support.

I just hoped that ADOBE, not Chris personal, will see a bigger picture. When I buy CS, and there are problems, ADOBE IS the source.

I like to communicate to ADOBE as one company, cause I bought just 1 product (CS)

(Like when I have a problem with my car, I go to the garage, and they take care of the car and get to work with it. They don't say "oh well I think the light is broke, bring it to the light-department yourself and ask there".)

And yes, I think I've read nearly every posting on this matter, and not only at ADOBE.

If you are really set on thinking Photoshop is the sole problem here, you might try searching this forum for related topics for this error message. There are other processes from OS X that may have their hooks in the file. There are tools that can determine which processes are accessing a file.

I don't know what the problem is, thats the problem. And I gave a screenshot ( made with a tool mentioned here.) which indicated INDD was the

proces accessing the file.

in this case,

Yes there are different processes that give this problem, and CS is one of them. No, its not always, and not the only one too.

So all I know now is that sometimes the problem is in CS, but not allways....

Even the problem itself is not allways there, its starts somehow and goes away....

Like I said, nowbody seems to know....

Now let everybody come together to solve this, come out your cubicals!

And for the record, I'm a big fan of ADOBE, for a longgggggggggg time, and I always will be

Its my living

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2010 2:33 PM   in reply to BoekMarc

I fully understand your position but if you really think CS is one product, you would not have targeted your posts to the individual Photoshop forum.

'CS' is simply a marketing name. Each program is managed and supported by different teams. Chris was pointing you to a branch of support that could better answer your questions.

If you really want to go with that automobile analogy - we often take our vehicles to different places to get fuel, oil changes, washes, and major repairs.  

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2010 4:20 PM   in reply to BoekMarc

so instead of telling me/us to go somewere else, get the problem high priority internally at Adobe.

I cannot make the InDesign team fix a bug.  They are not only in a different part of the company, they are in a different state (and part are on a different continent).

If I report a bug that they don't see their customers complaining about, they will ignore my report.  They need to see their own customers report the issue and complain about the issue -- then that gives more weight to my report.

I'm not trying to pass the buck, I'm simply trying to get the bug fixed within the confines of the politics as they exist today.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2010 4:21 PM   in reply to BoekMarc

I just hoped that ADOBE, not Chris personal, will see a bigger picture.

Let's just say that we have a problem with that right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 2:32 PM   in reply to JFLMark

I ran into this same issue. Turns out Finder was the one that had the PSD open for some reason - perhaps Quick Look or something like that.

I relaunched Finder and the file saved ok.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2010 10:51 AM   in reply to speelurker

I'm having the same issue - with a deadline fast approaching - and I luckily stumbled across this discussion

immediately.  I know the last post was over a year ago, but hopefully someone can still help me!

I open a PDF (from my desktop) in photoshop, edit it, flatten it, try to "save as" a PDF with a different name and it gives me the same message about it being in use, etc etc.  Now, I only have PS CS5.  No In Design.  No other Adobe other than Reader.  The program is installed on my computer, not the server, only has one license/seat, and I check my task manager for programs running that might be hijacking the file and I can't find anything.  BTW, I'm using Windows 7.  I also have Photoshop (from the CS3 suite) on my laptop at home, also running Windows 7, and I have no problems.  I don't understand how I could rename the file in the save dialogue box and then immediately get the message that that newly named file is in use?!

Please help, or direct me to better help.

Thanks a bunch.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2010 11:18 AM   in reply to labasheeda

The Finder and Spotlight have been known to cause the problem on some occasions (Apple usually fixes those bugs, but they reoccur with new OS releases).  Also, some buggy versions of Anti-Virus software have caused the same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2010 11:54 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris,

Thanks for your quick response.  I'm on a PC, so Finder isn't applicable, and I'm not sure what Spotlight is, but sounds like another Mac feature, so not applicable.  Good to know about the Anti-Virus programs...we use eTrust ITM at work (photoshop problems) and I use Norton at home (no problems).  This is driving me nuts because I plot my ACAD files to PDF, open the PDF in Photoshop to add some color, etc, and then I can't re-save as a PDF.  Resaving as a jpg works, but I lose some quality, which is a big problem with presentation images.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)